The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

That's a bit of a spoiler!

It was something about the project being more powerful than they realised and he got to live on in that reality. You know it's coming as a mainstream film is unlikely to have a subdued ending.

I enjoyed it although I'd say Moon was better.

Watched all three of Linklater's 'Before' trilogy again over the weekend.

Absolute perfection in my opinion.

The first one is absolutely superb. A real classic. Perfect

The second one is good but I liked less then the first one. It lost a lot of its charm but that's natural as the chracters get older. Also thought they didn't use the Paris backdrop enough.

The third one I didn't like at all. Just didnt care for any of it. Hated the meal scene with the family in Greece . surprised its more highly rated then the first two.

All in all a good trilogy. Depresses me slightly as getting older really sucks as the film highlights.

Edited by donnie

Sky bastards ruin Christmas

It'll be lonely this Christmas without Elf

So Sky Movies has swiped Elf from Channel 4, and an annual mass-watching tradition has been thwarted. Without hyperbole, this means Christmas is ruined

Bought-up---Will-Ferrell--009.jpg
Bought and sold … Will Ferrell and James Caan in Elf. Photograph: New Line/Everett/Rex Features

It can be hard to know when Christmas starts these days. It isn't when supermarkets start selling mince pies, because that's August. It isn't when the Christmas ads start, because that's November. It isn't Black Friday or Cyber Monday or Christmas Day itself, so when is it? Until very recently this question had a definitive answer: it was when Channel 4 showed Elf.

Though the film is only a decade old, Channel 4's Elf day has become entrenched in tradition surprisingly quickly. Usually shown on a Sunday afternoon around the second weekend of December, Elf was the sign that Christmas had well and truly arrived. Sweet without being saccharine, nostalgic while being completely current, and laugh-out-loud funny even after repeated viewings, Will Ferrell's turn as Buddy the Elf was the perfect way to usher in the festive season.
I've wrapped presents to Elf. I've got drunk on mulled wine to Elf. I – like the majority of people on the internet – have excitedly yelped Elf quotes during Elf. In 2011, Sarah Millican tweeted that Elf was about to start. It was one of her most retweeted missives ever. Six million people watched Elf in 2008 – almost the number of people who watch The X Factor. The Channel 4 Christmas broadcast of Elf brought people together year after year. It was like a royal wedding for republicans, or the Olympics for people who don't understand sport. But it isn't any more. Because Sky's nicked it. Without hyperbole, this means that Christmas is ruined.

This year, Elf can only be seen by Sky Movies subscribers. It was OK when Sky Movies nabbed Harry Potter and James Bond from ITV, because ITV showed them way too much and it was only temporary. But swiping Elf from Channel 4? That's messing with lore. It's left me adrift. Elf is how I measure Christmas. If Channel 4 isn't showing it, how will I know when Christmas is? My frame of reference is all to pot. I might celebrate Christmas tomorrow, or in July. I haven't got a clue any more.
Now, there's no doubt that Sky Movies will treat Elf well. It won't be sliced up by adverts like it was on Channel 4. And it'll be on demand, so you can watch it whenever you want. You could even watch it today, if you wanted to. But that's the problem. It's no longer an event. It isn't communal. One person's Elf day might be another person's Wednesday 27 November. I don't want to exaggerate, but I'm worried about what'll happen to Twitter without a day where everyone quotes every line from Elf like they're all participating in an ancient pagan ritual. I think it might literally dissolve before our eyes.
There's not a lot we can do. The deal has been made. Channel 4 will be Elfless this year whether we like it or not. There are workarounds. Perhaps we could hire a cinema and pile in to all watch it together. But I fear that wouldn't be the same. It just means that Christmas won't be quite as Christmassy this year.
I haven't asked who has the rights to The Muppet Christmas Carol for 2013, by the way. I'm not sure I could take the heartbreak.

Yeah that's pretty much my take too Zatman.  I like Elf but I'm not mad about it.  It's loved by many though and it's shit that it's not on terrestrial TV.  For me it's more important that I see 'It's A Wonderful Life' at Christmas. 

Watched two Spike Lee movies recently. He may be a cock and made his fair share of flops but he has also made some little gems other then the excellent Inside Man.

Do the right thing - 7 out of 10...well acted fun movie. Love the soundtrack.

25th Hour - 8 out of 10... great movie. Ed Norton was excellent. Loved his

'**** you' speech in the mirror. Easily one of the top 50 films made this century.

Edit: hear his old boy version sucks massively. I refuse to watch as I don't want it to taint memories of the original.

Edited by BOF

I'm definitely going to watch Bad Santa for the first time this festive period.

You're in for a treat :lol:

I hope ender has put It's A Wonderful Life on his to-do list as promised earlier in the thread.

Nothing will ever top perusing the "Xmas films for all the family" display in HMV's Oxford Street branch and finding Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence sandwiched between Miracle On 34th Street and Love Actually.  Because nothing says "Happy Holidays!" quite like seppuku.

watched it Sunday on anytime whilst putting my tree up so its safe to say not a single **** given in my house, especially seeing as I now have muppets Christmas carol and miracle on 34th street to look forward to too

to be fair to sky their movie channels are spot on whereas terrestrial TV's use of films annoys the **** out of me (at least 5+ posts in pisses you off from me) they always stick good films on a shit time, most recent one being up in the air on bbc which started at about 11.30pm on a Friday night

if channel 4 still had elf, based on previous years, they'd probably have had it on sunday night at 5pm

Edited by villa4europe

to be fair to sky their movie channels are spot on whereas terrestrial TV's use of films annoys the **** out of me (at least 5+ posts in pisses you off from me) they always stick good films on a shit time, most recent one being up in the air on bbc which started at about 11.30pm on a Friday night

BBC done this last night. They showed Walkabout starting at midnight.  :rant:

Die Hard

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Scrooged

No other Christmas movies needed. Those are my top 3 EVERY year.

Sometimes I watch a Christmas Story because that's in my sisters top 3.

Â