The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

was a good game for a Clasico but Barcelona are a horrible team to watch. diving, cheating, harassing referees for cards its worse than other clubs.

Puyol wanted a handball when Ronaldo headed wide and for some reason appealed against the goal and rightfully got a yellow card.

Varane was brilliant, 1st time really saw him and he carried Carvalho who had a stinker

You're so biased it's unbelievable  :D

If Clásico games annoy you so much, you should probably avoid watching them.  Ditto Barça.  They were hardly 'harassing' the referee to give out cards, certainly no more so than we usually see from Spanish teams, particularly in a heated game.  Considering the hostile atmosphere, despite some obvious milking from Alves (which did annoy me) and a little from Busquets, Barça kept well disciplined and weren't committing anything like as many fouls as Real.  Carvalho should have been sent off, too.  He knew exactly what he was doing with the handball just before Real's goal and was already on his last warning - I'd say that was by far the biggest case of 'cheating' tonight.

Varane was absolutely brilliant, though.  Such an impressive performance.  To play like that against Messi (not to mention the rest of them) in such a massive game deserves a huge amount of praise.  The best individual defensive display I've seen in a very long time, and he's only 19!

If he does go at the end of the season would you class it as a success at madrid? I personally think he has to win the CL with them.

He broke Barcas dominance but this year has gone so badly that without a Champions League win his reputation in Madrid will be tainted.

Yes, he broke Barca's dominance, but when you have spent the money they have, and they have spent a hell of a lot on that squad, you would expect a right old ding dong for the title in return.

To be in the position they are in with that squad of players is pretty shocking. I don't know how much of it is down to Mourinho, though. A case of too many egos.

They'll go all out for the CL but there are better teams out there, one of which they play in the next round.

It seemed as though he'd helped break Barça's dominance.  They won the league and Guardiola left.

Turns out they interrupted Barça's dominance, and are now struggling to catch their local rivals in the league.

If Mourinho doesn't win the Champions League this year, I don't think he'll be considered a success.  Last season was a success, this season is turning into a rather large failure.

I imagine that Mourinho's popularity in Madrid is almost non-existent now.

It's Champions League or bust really.   How his spell in Madrid is judged depends on where you are looking at it from too.

From England and Italy it will look good, Mourinho became the first man to win all three big European leagues as a manager, he had a 100 point season and beat arguably the greatest club side the world has ever seen to the title. He only really spent megabucks on a player twice didnt he? Di Maria and Modric, one has been a success and the other a failure so his record in the transfer market is acceptable.  We see Real Madrid fans as a bunch of whining ungrateful bastards anyway, it seems they wave their white hankies at the team if they arent 5-0 up by half time. 

From Spain it will be indifferent.  Yeah, he won the league & cup with a quarter billion Euro team, which is probably the minimum expected of him.   Madrid fans will like him again if he delivers the 10th European Cup.  Barcelona fans wont like him just because he is Jose Mourinho. 

Â