Running

trimandson

Been having a really frustrating time with running recently, attempting to train for a race whilst simultaneously managing an injury and spending a fair amount of time asking myself why I bother.

However I went out for my long run yesterday and just had an absolute blast, one of those runs where I couldn't wipe the smile off my face (much to the bemusement of passers by I imagine). Haven't had one of those for a while and it reminded me why I bother, sometimes it's worth it.

I think getting back out on the trails certainly played it's part, too much pavement makes me an unhappy runner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

So clocked in my first parkrun at 20:03.  8th place in my run and 1st in my age group (30-34).

Kudos to the people that organise this, it's great.

Top stuff Wainy, now it's time to do a few more, go sub 20, volunteer, start getting your milestone T-shirts and then visit other Parkruns, it's a fun journey and you are just beginning

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

So clocked in my first parkrun at 20:03.  8th place in my run and 1st in my age group (30-34).

Kudos to the people that organise this, it's great.

That's a great time, how long have you been running?

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

That's a great time, how long have you been running?

Started in March, had a bit of a lull throughout August but fully back into it now.  That was my second officially timed run though.

14 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

20.03.........:o

With all due respect it is all relative, there are people on this site who can go sub 17! (FTR I'm definitely not one of them!)

Once you get past the idea of wanting to win, you realise that running is more you against yourself and the clock, it is the mental challenge of pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone and you can get far more satisfaction from say a 21 minute run than the guy finishing 3rd who has just run 18:02

• Like 3

There was a 3/4 marathon on today a good few from the club used it as there last long run ...as im playing catch-up I will have to stretch my training out by another week but jaysus im kinda depressed with the times they all put in .....:(

Not dropped in for a little bit but despite being on the "off-season" I still seem to be doing some form of exercise most days.

Anyway was the first round of the southern cross country league yesterday and I took the first 1 1/2 easy before going full gas for the remaining 3 1/2 and I can honestly say I feel like I have been beaten up today, it actually in someways feels similar to when I did the Ironman in July, seems crazy to me that with all the mileage I do that such a short race can hurt so much.  Scored for the club (team was 2nd out of 23) so pretty pleased despite being a bit overweight (cough stone and a half cough) at the moment.

Going to have another go next weekend at a higher level, I think this is one of those races that if you are in the top half of the field you are a very decent club runner.

Anyway main aim of the winter is to get the weight down again and get ready for another go at hitting goal time at London.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2016 at 05:11, RichardCanning said:

With all due respect it is all relative, there are people on this site who can go sub 17! (FTR I'm definitely not one of them!)

Once you get past the idea of wanting to win, you realise that running is more you against yourself and the clock, it is the mental challenge of pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone and you can get far more satisfaction from say a 21 minute run than the guy finishing 3rd who has just run 18:02

This, a million times over.

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace
  • Like 3

Im in GFA again, hopefully this time 4 months of training won't end up with me throwing up over a wall and 10 miles of misery to get another GFA place.

Seems early but starting the prep now, by getting myself into pre-marathon shape for when training starts mid-Dec.

• Like 1

Nice one.

I'm just over halfway through a couch to 5k and I'm still really pleased with myself. Running has never been my thing before, but the incremental build up has really helped me. 

Running 18 mins out of the half hour now, so getting there.

• Like 2

Â