Running

trimandson

Any advice on how to prevent stitches?

Been running about 10 weeks and average about 7 mins 30 per mile over 10k but been stuck at that for a few weeks now and I seem to be getting stitches slowing me down a lot at the mo.

Thanks for the advice on my shins guys. I ended up going to see a physio and she's '99% sure' I've got stress fractures in both shins (yay..). In what was initially good news she said my calves are in good shape though so it should be more of a one off than a recurring problem, so despite the diagnosis I left feeling pretty optimistic.

However I went back for my second session today and she's now concerned that I overpronate and this could be causing some problems and suggests I go and see a podiatrist.

Feeling a little less optimistic and actually quite frustrated now, I just want to run!

I should mention I already knew I overpronate but I just kind of ignored it, my running shoes are supposedly suited to slight overpronaters so I figured that would be enough. Anyone have any experience with this? Worth going to a podiatrist or should I just buy some off the shelf insoles and hope for the best?

Edited by Delphouneso

On 5/30/2016 at 11:44, Wainy316 said:

Any advice on how to prevent stitches?

Been running about 10 weeks and average about 7 mins 30 per mile over 10k but been stuck at that for a few weeks now and I seem to be getting stitches slowing me down a lot at the mo.

All the standard advice about hydrating etc. But what really cured it for me was core work. Specifically press-ups or planks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

All the standard advice about hydrating etc. But what really cured it for me was core work. Specifically press-ups or planks.

Cool, I have actually started knocking out some press ups most nights so hopefully this will help.

51 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Thanks for the advice on my shins guys. I ended up going to see a physio and she's '99% sure' I've got stress fractures in both shins (yay..). In what was initially good news she said my calves are in good shape though so it should be more of a one off than a recurring problem, so despite the diagnosis I left feeling pretty optimistic.

However I went back for my second session today and she's now concerned that I overpronate and this could be causing some problems and suggests I go and see a podiatrist.

Feeling a little less optimistic and actually quite frustrated now, I just want to run!

I should mention I already knew I overpronate but I just kind of ignored it, my running shoes are supposedly suited to slight overpronaters so I figured that would be enough. Anyone have any experience with this? Worth going to a podiatrist or should I just buy some off the shelf insoles and hope for the best?

I go to profeet in london who i think are great, they do a video of you running in bare feet, pick the 3 best trainers for your running (i also overpronate) then film you in all 3 of them, and tell you which suit you the best. They also then build custom orthotics for you there and then. Last time i went in they felt the orthotics were still in decent condition so just reinforced them a little for free, then they moved me over from the brooks i had previously to mizunos. 

All seems pretty decent and not really more expensive than buying trainers elsewhere but gives me abit of piece of mind when running.

Is the saving from picking up off the shelf insoles worth the risk?

On 31 May 2016 at 13:54, zak said:

Is the saving from picking up off the shelf insoles worth the risk?

You're absolutely right, think I was just feeling sorry for myself (and my wallet). Booked an appointment with a podiatrist today, seemed like a nice chap and I'm looking forward to getting to the root of the problem now, even though the appointment isn't until July as he's so busy!

If you over pronate and you buy a pair of shoes to deal with that, then orthotics should be unnecessary, as the shoes are already dealing with the problem. I wore orthotics for near 20 years, then saw a physio who said why are you wearing the shoes and orthotics. Tried with orthotics, and didn’t have problems. Its not to say that orthotics don’t work for some, but more than likely you won’t need them. 

Most important is finding the best shoes. I ve always found Asics to be the best, though not the most stylish or the lightest. 

1 hour ago, PauloBarnesi said:

If you over pronate and you buy a pair of shoes to deal with that, then orthotics should be unnecessary, as the shoes are already dealing with the problem. I wore orthotics for near 20 years, then saw a physio who said why are you wearing the shoes and orthotics. Tried with orthotics, and didn’t have problems. Its not to say that orthotics don’t work for some, but more than likely you won’t need them. 

Most important is finding the best shoes. I ve always found Asics to be the best, though not the most stylish or the lightest. 

Everyone runs differently so its impossible to find a pair of trainers to fit you perfectly. So i guess i wear both as the trainer is to do the main adjustment and then the orthotics personalize them to my feet.

This is just a guess really and could be bull but i do not pronate the same with both feet and my orthotics differ with my feet while my trainers do not

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Another of the 'fastest of all time' 100m surveys found to have been doping. Bolt is very lonely on that list.

I've read enough public body building and cycling forums to know that drug use is easy and pervasive... who knows what happens in private! The science says that catching people really amounts to little more than an intelligence test, i.e., follow the protocol correctly and you won't get caught. All pretty depressing really.  

There's a part of me that thinks athletics might be absolutely rife with it. As said, Bolt is lonely in the top times list. He is a bit of a freak though, his size and build is unlike anything. But I also wouldn't be completely shocked for his legacy to be tainted. I hope not though.

It always felt odd to me how Jamaica came out of seemingly nowhere to become a force in sprinting. Presumably they spent on new training teams and regimes and benefited from a generation of great sprinters, which wouldn't be shocking. But nearly all of them now have been caught doping to some extent.

I think it came out in some of the recent IAAF stuff, that the Jamaicans were not doing any testing whatsoever prior to Beijing. It may not have been officially mandated (or at least no one was stupid enough to put anything on record), but it's an open invitation/hint to go get us some medals kids.

Did you enjoy Blenheim Darren?

I did the sprint a couple of years ago and enjoyed it although found it quite congested.

My first tri of the season is next weekend up near(ish) most of you chaps at Cannock.

Did you enjoy Blenheim Darren?

I did the sprint a couple of years ago and enjoyed it although found it quite congested.

My first tri of the season is next weekend up near(ish) most of you chaps at Cannock.

Saw you doing bricks today :-)

Yeah loved it. Weather certainly helped. Out of every person today, I was 1700 pit of 2000 in the water, 100 out of 2000 on the bike and 160ish on the run. 270 overall. I must have been almost last out of the water and then overtook most of my wave on the bike and run :-)

Doing Olympic distance next month. That may suit me better but wow I'm currently fat and I've got a _lot_ to lose.

All the best with yours next weekend.

Still having pain in the back of my knee from an awkward step off a ladder a few months ago ....physio said my leg is in good shape ....is it all mentality at this stage or something else im at a loss

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

Still having pain in the back of my knee from an awkward step off a ladder a few months ago ....physio said my leg is in good shape ....is it all mentality at this stage or something else im at a loss

It could very well be a mental block. It's the same thing that gets people with lower back pain, you expect it therefore you avoid bending and when you have to bend you expect the pain so there is pain. It may just be that light exercise will get you past it eventually but of course if the pain gets worse cease whatever it is you are doing and go see your physio again. 

• Like 1

Saw you doing bricks today :-)

Yeah loved it. Weather certainly helped. Out of every person today, I was 1700 pit of 2000 in the water, 100 out of 2000 on the bike and 160ish on the run. 270 overall. I must have been almost last out of the water and then overtook most of my wave on the bike and run :-)

Doing Olympic distance next month. That may suit me better but wow I'm currently fat and I've got a _lot_ to lose.

All the best with yours next weekend.

I always struggle on the swim, it has improved a little but not tons to be honest. I've pretty much given up on it now and it's just the bit I get through before jumping on the bike. Saying that I'm actually just off out to do a 3.5k river swim.

Next week is my return to Ironman after a two year break (as the last one got cancelled) although this one is only a half. If I can manage the nutrition it should be good as I'm not the same bike/runner as last time I did one of these events.

On 2 June 2016 at 11:34, zak said:

Everyone runs differently so its impossible to find a pair of trainers to fit you perfectly. So i guess i wear both as the trainer is to do the main adjustment and then the orthotics personalize them to my feet.

This is just a guess really and could be bull but i do not pronate the same with both feet and my orthotics differ with my feet while my trainers do not

If you read Born to Run it talks about how complex the foot is and how it can deal with all manners of things, so the difference of the foot should be accommodated. I would guess that if you don’t get injury problems then orthotics would be unnecessary, if you do then try and solve it with shoes (and exercises, strengthening & stretching) and then if necessary orthotics.

Â