Running

trimandson

I use a variety of things I've cherry picked from various core/hip/knee routines I've seen over the past. I don't use any weights but I'll use resistance bands for some exercises.

If you're after a full routine to follow this guy has an entire 8 week progression you can follow.

Really struggling at the moment. Since before Christmas I've had rumbling guts, tired, excess wind, achy. Seems like IBS but I never realised I had it. I'm still managing to do most of the miles but some nights I just can't run because I'm too tired. Got an appointment with the doc next week but doubt they'll find anything.

Got 20 to do in the morning so hopefully I'll feel OK for that. 10 miles to parkrun, parkrun, then 7 miles back.

On 03/02/2017 at 17:28, darrenm said:

Really struggling at the moment. Since before Christmas I've had rumbling guts, tired, excess wind, achy. Seems like IBS but I never realised I had it. I'm still managing to do most of the miles but some nights I just can't run because I'm too tired. Got an appointment with the doc next week but doubt they'll find anything.

Got 20 to do in the morning so hopefully I'll feel OK for that. 10 miles to parkrun, parkrun, then 7 miles back.

My stomach issues really do depend on the type of food and how hydrated I am and Ive found recently when doing XC racing that an early morning 5k to get err cleared out before racing at 11 seems to help.

So this week Ive definately been cracking under the mileage, ended up with 86.5 miles but I wont be going ths high again, I decided to try and keep the long run distances from the plan, but knock 8 miles a week off the junk stuff so I can have an easy day at least once a week.

52 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

My stomach issues really do depend on the type of food and how hydrated I am and Ive found recently when doing XC racing that an early morning 5k to get err cleared out before racing at 11 seems to help.

So this week Ive definately been cracking under the mileage, ended up with 86.5 miles but I wont be going ths high again, I decided to try and keep the long run distances from the plan, but knock 8 miles a week off the junk stuff so I can have an easy day at least once a week.

86.5 ?! I'm happy to be averaging 40 a week.

My 20 miler went.. fine. Looking for 7:30/mile at Machester so training pace is 8:30. I did 20 at 8:26 and felt OK at the end, over some quite undulating terrain, including stopping around for a bit to do a parkrun in the middle.

I think I'm just not eating enough. Someone's suggested a vitamin b12 deficiency which can affect people doing longer distances.

On 02/02/2017 at 23:02, Nicho said:

Ran the last 5 days doing 17 miles. Felt bad doing 4 tonight, so will be having a few days off.

Anyone got a good weight routines to strengthen the core focused towards improving running?

Push ups. I swear by them. Like a plank but better.

Did Watford Half; great HM, well organised, nice (but hilly course). Ran it at the equivalent to a 3.15 marathon, found it nice and easy. Amazing how different running a 1.31.30 marathon feels to a sub 1.30.

Hope you are feeling better Darren. Here’s a thought on the long runs, is that you run the first slow and then do the second closer to marathon pace (7.30-7.45). I ve started using this and find it gets you used to running long runs at something nearer to MP.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2017 at 09:52, PauloBarnesi said:

Did Watford Half; great HM, well organised, nice (but hilly course). Ran it at the equivalent to a 3.15 marathon, found it nice and easy. Amazing how different running a 1.31.30 marathon feels to a sub 1.30.

That is some going mate to find a 1:31 hilly hm nice and easy.

If you don’t mind me asking how old are you?

15 hours ago, PauloBarnesi said:

People have gone very quiet again...

Dont have time, too much running :-)

Ive actually dropped it down a peg as was falling apart last week, but lots of stretching and Ive stopped actively trying to cut calories (because thinking about its ridiculous to do so when you are running 70 miles a week) and I feel like Ive got game again. We have a 20 mile race down this way at the weekend and most with spring marathons use it as prep, Im doing 14 at marathon pace with 3 warm up and 3 warm down.

How is everyone else getting on, good sign on the half Paul, I actually saw a bit of that race on facebook as Sussex Photography were live streaming in places.

Made a last minute decision to run my first race of the year last week, just a 10k trail race in Bath that I figured would be a nice practice run for a similar race I've got coming up in a couple of weeks.

Went okay, ran 52:29 with a a fair bit left in the tank, which I'm fairly happy with considering the amount of mud on the course. Also registering on the day meant I got put in the last wave which involved getting stuck in traffic quite a bit.

The course was really good fun though, some really fun technical down hills and a couple of tough climbs, made that much tougher by the sheer volume of mud. Had no problems with my knee either which gives me confidence going into the rest of the year.

Edited by Delphouneso
Formatting

20 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

That is some going mate to find a 1:31 hilly hm nice and easy.

If you don’t mind me asking how old are you?

Old enough to be a dad of a 17 year old; 47 this year! 

I think its interesting how you can find a pace which is hard and run a half marathon, with what appears to be little ‘effort’ and ‘easy’, yet if you are 10 seconds quicker per mile you feel like you are on the edge. Also racing is always a surprise; some days you are on fire. Others its a nightmare. 

Hip is a little bit iffy, so backing off a bit. 

I see Darren has now become some kind of nutritional guru:)

• Like 1

Newbie to running alert. 

Aside from the 20 min blast on a treadmill I've not done it with any regularity and so signed up to the couch to 5k app and wisely joined a local running group immediately to keep me committed ( also a necessity as in the new year glow I signed up to do a half marathon in October, plenty of time to get there! )

As I've got through 6 weeks of running 3 times a week it feels like I've developed a habit I'm comfortable with but the last couple of "longer" runs ( it's all relative! ) I've found my calves feeling tight. After 20 minutes it actually starts to feel ok ( I have no stitch issues etc as I'm sticking to a gentlish pace until I've got used to the distance ) but is this a warm up thing?  The app seems to think a brisk 5 min walk to warm up suffices :/ 

Could be any manner of things; over training, going too hard, not being warmed up, not stretching in between runs. Most people I know consider a warm up, starting the first 10 minutes or so at an easy pace, maybe with some drills. Others just go for it. Always important to remember everyones different and reacts to training differently.  One things for sure if something feels strange, its trying to tell you something!

Anyone on Strava might be interested in the update of https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stravistix-for-strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en

If you use a HRM it will give you an idea of the stress your training is giving you, and how recovered you are.

• Like 1

yeah, definitely doing more stretches before. Had another run yesterday, for most of the 25 minute jogging it was a pain until the final few minutes, after that it was fine and I happily did a more energetic 10 minute burst home. Only my left leg which is a bit odd, but there we go, more stretching ahoy. 

I've been part of my local running club for two years now and I've had a bad habit of getting to a certain point, feeling a niggle and ending up with a full blown injury.

However, I've learned to try some adding dynamic stretches and drills to your warm up routine to your runs.  Toe walks, heel walks, lunges etc. Once you have finished your run make sure you get some static stretching done.  I would also look at your hydration prior to running.

Also, have you had a gait analysis done?  Poor footwear can lead to issues in the calf in particular. 

Â