Running

trimandson

So I signed up for the 50 mile and dublin marathon and sent the paper work in for my Tri Licence ........twill be some year .......Just on wet-suits for a beginner Triathlete they are quite expensive .....like would a hot tuna one from sports direct do me for the year or will it be buy cheap buy twice ..........should I splurge for oneills /orca etc 

10 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

So I signed up for the 50 mile and dublin marathon and sent the paper work in for my Tri Licence ........twill be some year .......Just on wet-suits for a beginner Triathlete they are quite expensive .....like would a hot tuna one from sports direct do me for the year or will it be buy cheap buy twice ..........should I splurge for oneills /orca etc 

Don't get a surf wetsuit, the shoulders are not designed for swimming in a tri. I bought a Zone 3 suit for a half distance last year and it was fine. About £100.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Dont strava give you the option of a mock start/finish location for viewers to your profile ? no need to change your name 

If someone has your Surname and knows roughly where you live (within 200m) it wouldn't be difficult to find an address. As an owner of multiple bikes, I would like to keep mine protected!

• Like 1

On 06/01/2017 at 07:54, MMFy said:

If someone has your Surname and knows roughly where you live (within 200m) it wouldn't be difficult to find an address. As an owner of multiple bikes, I would like to keep mine protected!

Mine are chained to the floor in my garage for this reason!!

Gonna be 70 miles running for the week by the time Im done tomorrow - thats the longest Ive done I think (certainly for a training week, rather than 7 days) and its still got plenty more to go up over next couple of months. At least I seem to be "on it" at the moment and finally did a post-xmas weigh in and turns out Ive lost 5 pounds since my last weigh in at beginning of december, another 9 pounds to go for "racing weight" (170lb = approx 11-12% Body Fat).

As for wetsuits, yes please get a proper racing wet suit otherwise you will struggle quite badly and get some serious chafing for good measure. Plenty going cheap recently too, look at 2XU, Orca, Huub, BlueSeventy etc. I know sportpursuit had Huub on offer recently so could be an option or maybe Wiggle or Chainreaction.

• Like 1

Back in the game. Slow 10 on Sunday, but thank goodness the illness has gone. 

I read a book over christmas Run Less, Run Faster”, based on just running three times a week for a marathon; thesis is better to have high quality work outs, than running loads of sessions and cross training on the other days. Then gives a load of plans to qualify for Boston. Seems though only to get to running around three hours, suggesting that you can’t actually run a certain time without doing more than three sessions. I don’t think its a catch all for people, but it kind of reinforces that three of your sessions must be quality; long run, tempo and speed work. 

• Like 1

I tried to do a similar thing last year when work got busy and I was struggling to fit runs in. I tried to make sure every run had a specific purpose - less junk miles more workouts - and so I'd run a hill workout, speed work, and a long run.

However I had injury after injury last year and didn't manage to run a single race. So I've now done a u-turn and I've gone back to a high volume low intensity approach. Consistency is king and all that.

That's not to say that the above doesn't work, but I think I discovered just how important it is to have a 'base' before attempting to start throwing too many high intensity workouts in.

I think also you need to be doing at least two strengthening/stretching sessions. Dead easy to miss those out, but I think essential to success, especially as you hit 30s/40s.

Also become a big fan of long runs where first half easy, second race pace. Too many people are running for marathons with long runs laboriously slow. But each to their own, and spot on that consistency is king.

I do one specifc Strength Session a week with an instructor (mainly for form and to stop me from hurting myself) and additional strength and stretching and also a sports massage usually once every two weeks, although one a week the last couple of weeks as the racing has caused a few issues.

Wether I do lots of mileage or little, its usually the fast stuff that causes the most issues.

On 1/10/2017 at 22:27, Meath_Villan said:

C117-cBXEAA1yjh.jpg

Good lord it arrived ..........what now :D

Me and a mate are signed up for Challenge Paguera, Mallorca in October.  There will be some other triathlons of varying distances before that, but nothing up to a half until then.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MMFy said:

Me and a mate are signed up for Challenge Paguera, Mallorca in October.  There will be some other triathlons of varying distances before that, but nothing up to a half until then.

I watched a tv show on that on Eurosport or Bike and thought it looked like a fantastic race (it had Mario Mola racing it). Ive done the half Ironman (the one where they shut down Alcudia main street for the transition) in Mallorca and thought it was fantastic. Im actually over there at the same time as the half Ironman this year on a cycling holiday, I would of signed up for the giggles if there had been normal spaces available.

Im having that joyous feeling today where the 5 miles Ive just done felt like a huge effort and Im running 20 tomorrow morning....

Having one of those weeks where every run feels like a struggle for no apparent reason (although I'm sure there probably is a reason).

Crawled through my last three runs, knee is playing up again, and my 'running performance' according to my watch has dropped off a cliff.

We go again..

Hows everyone getting on this week?

Some serious mileage from @SteveMac, are you on the P&F training as well?

Ive been bouncing my mileage around a bit to suit racing and also doing longer runs just to be socialble, certainly been feeling the mileage....

Edited by andyjsg
edit

Its all stepping up. That stage where the first five miles of a long run just seem inconsequential and the speed work starts to pay off, when you start running the miles five seconds quicker, and you don’t notice. And you feel knackered most of the time. And hungry.

• Like 1

Â