Running

trimandson

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am far from an expert on this as I have only run one marathon and there are far more experienced runners on here who can advise you but I think having doubts before a marathon is natural.

Missing your last LSR is not ideal but if you have comfortably knocked out 18 miles last week then you are fit enough even if you have to drag yourself over the line. Running a marathon I found was as much a mental battle as a physical one and it seems like you have already overcome a few obstacles in getting this far so have belief in yourself that you can overcome this one and any that come during the marathon. You will do it and I look forward to reading all about it on here.

Cheers man .....ran a 20 mile LSR on tuesday ...took me forever good mix of hills cross country a bit of trail , only brought one pack of clif shot blocks which was a big mistake, at mile 18 I went all brownlee brothers and hit the wall ...more mental than physical but the lack of any sort of energy didnt help, walked for half a mile to compose and have a chat with myself then came round and finished out the run, Body held together well no cramps or anything knee is as good as it can be .. so next week will be my last long run before a taper aiming for 22 but would just be happy to survive a 20 mile run, 

Aim for the marathon would just be a finish line at this stage ...the 20 miles took me 3:36 so sub 4 is  off the cards for now 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Went running for the first time in years this morning. Was meant to go two weeks ago but I was ill all weekend, but eventually got round to it this morning. Put in 3 miles. Legs are a bit cramped up but managed it ok. 

Good stuff. Have a rest day, then do it again. 

Edited by mjmooney

On 29/09/2016 at 13:14, SteveMac said:

I ran Berlin marathon the weekend, it's a great event, very well organised and has a great atmosphere.

After GNR I decided to target a 3:10-3:15 time (rather than the 3:20 I was hoping for at the start of the year). Went through half way in 1:36 and maintained pretty even 5k splits until 20 miles which I passed in 2:27 (I knew 2:25 was good for 3:10, so was happy). However then the wheels fell off badly and I ran the worst 10k I've ever run in a race, took 58 minutes and finished in 3:25, 2 minutes slower than my PB. I was gutted on the day, but realise it happens to us all at some point. After all they do say the marathon starts at 20 miles!

I'll be back to race another marathon next year as still confident I can get a sub 3:15.

So, so familiar :-) I think the formulas only work if you're used to marathon distance. If you're training and peaking mileage near the end, it ends up with you going too close to anaerobic and lasting until 20 miles. I tried to stick to 07:15/mile for London and after about 13 miles it just got gradually more difficult to keep the pace until 20 miles where I got cramp and had to walk and limp. Was aiming for 3.15 and ended in 3.33.

Well done anyway.

Anyone signed up for Birmingham marathon? I have. Goes past villa park. I've tweeted Tony to ask if he can get involved to get it going through it somehow. Would be ace.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Got my first parkrun tomorrow.  Do I just cut out a single barcode and take it with me?  How exactly does it work?

Doing my 95th tomorrow, PB still stands at 19:39. Rock up at before 9 with barcode, let them know it's your first run and they'll run (pun not intended!) you through it.

Enjoy, chat to people at the start and then come back the next week and beat your time

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Got my first parkrun tomorrow.  Do I just cut out a single barcode and take it with me?  How exactly does it work?

break a leg ;)

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace

59 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Which one are you doing?

I'm a run director (just had to get that in) :-)

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

When you cross the finish line, a marshal gives you a plastic tag with a barcode that identifies your finishing position. You then shuffle up to another marshal who scans both that AND your printed out barcode (which identifies who you are). The computer then has the link to add to its results. You should get a text message with your finishing position and time within a couple of hours, when it goes onto the website. It's a brilliant system. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

50km Trail Ultra next week.

Absolutely crapping myself.

I wonder how many people who do a marathon (as in have trained up to) went on to do an ultra within a month after .....im kinda tempted if im in good nick after 

3 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

I wonder how many people who do a marathon (as in have trained up to) went on to do an ultra within a month after .....im kinda tempted if im in good nick after 

It's only 8 km more, it's the 50/100 milers that are down right frightening... but, I'm getting more and more tempted all the time!

and yes, I've death marched so I do know what that only means!

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace

Â