Running

trimandson

32 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Yeah will be no 2 after the one got cancelled last year. Got that half ironman in Staffordshire before that too so running comes down to be replaced with hours on the bike

Best of luck man a few in the running club (who are in the tri club) have done one .....they say its quite a "life" experience 

Yeah the first one I did 2 years ago was good fun (if that's the right word), it was 40 degrees in Frankfurt and I basically walked the 2nd half of the marathon as had to take on as much water as possible which is why I don't really count it as one of my marathons per se.

• Like 1

The first selections have been made for Athletics for the Brazil Olympics, and the marathon include the fastest British runner this year Callum Hawkins; 2.10.52 (24th fastest time in UK rankings). Until Farah decides to move up to the marathon, we are still slower than we were 30 years ago, when Steve Jones ran 2.07.13. Basil Heatley’s time from 1964 would qualify him for the olympics. And it just isn’t the marathon, looking at some of the UK records, and they are decades old...

51 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

The first selections have been made for Athletics for the Brazil Olympics, and the marathon include the fastest British runner this year Callum Hawkins; 2.10.52 (24th fastest time in UK rankings). Until Farah decides to move up to the marathon, we are still slower than we were 30 years ago, when Steve Jones ran 2.07.13. Basil Heatley’s time from 1964 would qualify him for the olympics. And it just isn’t the marathon, looking at some of the UK records, and they are decades old...

It's true right down the pyramid. The fastest runners in my club are nowhere near those of 20-30 years ago.

In other news, I left my trail shoes out to dry in the sun this morning. They are now full of melting hailstones. Looks like road running tonight. 

Been running about 5 weeks and used run keeper for the first time the other day.  Clocked 6.82 miles in 56 minutes.

Now I've cleared 10K I'm going to do the Oxford 10K next month to tick it off with a view to training for the marathon next year.

I'm fairly new to all this so any tips for beginners would be appreciated.

• Like 2

That's basically 11k, if you knock 5 minutes off for the 10k time that's around 51 minutes, that's a very good time for someone who has only been running 5 weeks!

Do you have a sporty background or previous running experience?

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Do you have a sporty background or previous running experience?

Not really, was always naturally pretty good at long distance running as a kid but haven't really maintained a proper level of fitness in adulthood.  I'm hoping I can keep at it with the running.

23 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Been running about 5 weeks and used run keeper for the first time the other day.  Clocked 6.82 miles in 56 minutes.

Now I've cleared 10K I'm going to do the Oxford 10K next month to tick it off with a view to training for the marathon next year.

I'm fairly new to all this so any tips for beginners would be appreciated.

Don't run much these days but used to do a lot.  My main tip would be design your training to match your goals.  Training for 10k, a half or full marathon is obviously very different. Whatever you do you want to mix-up your training with some longer slower runs, some medium distance brisk runs (tempo) and some speed-work (intervals).  Hills are also good, but painful.  I found the park runs good for speed improvement  - a fast 5k. Two other things. 1. Don'do too much too quick, keep doing the right training and you will naturally get stronger and faster - you don't need to go crazy or anything or you'll just get injured - I learned that lesson the hard way!  One last thing, as you get better don't let the clock spoil your enjoyment - I became a bit obsessed with splits and times once I had a Garmin and Strava.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Pain above my heels, from reading seems like tendonitis. Ran on it yesterday but like a snail.

Any tips to prevent it/make it better? Does it need to be rested?

Welcome to the wonderful world of achilles tendonitis. Rest, yes. Stretching, yes (Google the exercises). Ice packs, yes. Will it make it go away? Not in my experience. I was struggling with it last night (see above). 

Â