Running

trimandson

On 27/04/2016 at 11:39, Wainy316 said:

Been running about 5 weeks and used run keeper for the first time the other day.  Clocked 6.82 miles in 56 minutes.

Now I've cleared 10K I'm going to do the Oxford 10K next month to tick it off with a view to training for the marathon next year.

I'm fairly new to all this so any tips for beginners would be appreciated.

Tips for 10k training or marathon? For marathon, find a schedule that fits with your training. I used Hal Higdon for my first and only ran 3 times a week, but it got me around. For 10k....I'd say try to get in an easy run, tempo run and a longer run (maybe 8-10 miles) each week.

Anyone do the Birmingham 10k? Decided I was in good enough shape after marathon training to attempt a PB, so decided to target sub 41 mins, but in the back of my mind was hoping to get close to 40:40. Half way in 20:24 and felt good, finished in 40:43....that hill still hurts, bit disapointed I couldn't hold sub 7 min/mile pace on the hill, but happy overall. Going to attempt a flat 10k later in the year to give myself a shot at a sub 40! Still need to attempt a sub 20 5k at some point as my 5k PB is still 20:18 from a couple of years ago!!

Oh and decided to challenge myself and step up to an ultra....48 miles...not sure if brave or stupid :wacko:

On 5/5/2016 at 09:52, mjmooney said:

Welcome to the wonderful world of achilles tendonitis. Rest, yes. Stretching, yes (Google the exercises). Ice packs, yes. Will it make it go away? Not in my experience. I was struggling with it last night (see above). 

I just run through it and it goes away after a bit. Any time I have any injuries, if I try to rest they just get worse but if I ignore them and carry on they go away. Goes against normal advice I know.

47 minutes ago, SteveMac said:

Anyone do the Birmingham 10k? Decided I was in good enough shape after marathon training to attempt a PB, so decided to target sub 41 mins, but in the back of my mind was hoping to get close to 40:40. Half way in 20:24 and felt good, finished in 40:43....that hill still hurts, bit disapointed I couldn't hold sub 7 min/mile pace on the hill, but happy overall. Going to attempt a flat 10k later in the year to give myself a shot at a sub 40! Still need to attempt a sub 20 5k at some point as my 5k PB is still 20:18 from a couple of years ago!!

Oh and decided to challenge myself and step up to an ultra....48 miles...not sure if brave or stupid :wacko:

Stratford 10k in October is where I'm attacking sub 40.

I'm 19:25 for Parkrun 5k and 41:something for 10k at the moment so you've definitely got a sub 20 in you, maybe even sub 19 at Walsall..

I do a fair bit of running. I wouldnt say i really enjoy it, just part of my boxing training.

Fridays i run to and from work which is 11km each way and then 2 or 3 more 5/6km a week

On Monday the gym was closed so decided on another 10km or so run on the Sunday but while on the run kept adding park laps and so ended up running just over 20km.

With running a half marathon just for the craic im tempted to run a proper half sooning and possibly London marathon next year, otherwise it seems a waste of my fitness.

Downside is means more running that i already do. ;)

I am also super competitive and would be pissed off with anything over 1:25 and 3:15 which i understand is a pretty aggressive stance. 2 people i know ran London in 2:57 and 3:01 this year and my housemate has ran a 2:51.

Iv only ever ran a timed 10km once, 40:49

Hmmm its a predicament 

Despite my bad day I managed GFA so will be back for another go next year.

Back proper training but still not quite where I want to be. Staffordshire 70.3 in 6 weeks, so I really have to get back to swimming and cycling immediately.

That 5K last week was the first of a three race series. Second one this evening, and I was feeling pretty good... until just before the halfway point, when I suddenly felt like somebody had smacked my calf muscle with a sledgehammer. Dropped out immediately and limped back to the start. DNF, and won't be running for a couple of weeks. Bugger. 

I did the Bideford 10K on Sunday with absolutely no training in 19 months prior to the day.  1:09, embarrassingly, and a chafed stinkers bridge to boot.  I can barely walk now.

Going to give it a couple of weeks then start running 2-3km per day, upping it to 5-10km 3 times per week.  I have a half ironman and the Birmingham Half marathon coming up...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMFy said:

I did the Bideford 10K on Sunday with absolutely no training in 19 months prior to the day.  1:09, embarrassingly, and a chafed stinkers bridge to boot.  I can barely walk now.

Going to give it a couple of weeks then start running 2-3km per day, upping it to 5-10km 3 times per week.  I have a half ironman and the Birmingham Half marathon coming up...

hardcore!

21 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Does your PB have to come from proper running events or does running by yourself using run keeper count?

Proper, officially measured races.

• Like 1

Â