Running

trimandson

First competitive race (not counting Parkruns) since my comeback tomorrow. YVAA (Yorkshire Vets) league, race 1, Honley. Borderline fell race - circuit of running track, two miles up steep rugged hill, two miles along hill crest, two miles down steep track & road, circuit of running track, finish. Hit the bar. Looking forward to it. Sorta. 

EDIT: When I say "tomorrow", I mean, of course, Sunday. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

So, how have the VT London Marathoners got on? 

I did my Vets' League race - tougher and more of a fell race than I remembered it - steep, and muddy as all hell. Finished 2/3 of the way down the field - disappointing, as I was in the top third last time I did it. Still, 7th M60, and points on the board for the club. Met some old friends I hadn't seen for years, too.

• Like 3

Decided to begin a little light running at home the other week - mainly running on the spot with a running app in my pocket :D

Started off fairly well and managed to eventually got myself averaging sub-8 minutes and then didn't run for a few weeks due to being a bit busy, although I do walk 3.5 miles home from work pretty often. Did some running on Wednesday and managed 5 miles after feeling drained and went for a shower afterwards and was doubled over with pain in my right kidney area which still feels rather tender. Might try another run on Wednesday

• Like 1

Puking, lots of puking. Got a GFA to have another shot next year.

Worth checking out my strava for this one, the suffer score is ridiculous, would say I am probably still not recovered from last weeks flu

• Like 1

3 miles from the finish line   Such sad news 

Yes I saw this earlier today, awful news.

When I came through the finish there was some poor dude spread out on a stretcher not looking great.

Also a guy I met doing my marathon last year and from local races since I ran past at 10k. He got to 40k in 2:53 and finished in 3:57 as the ambulance peeps wouldn't let him go. He has run 150 marathons and ran 12 under 3 hours last year.

You can never under estimate what can go wrong in a marathon.

So I had almost forgotten that I get to run another one in a couple of months, but this one is after a 2.5 mile swim and 112 mile bike ride in 30 plus degrees heat - easy peasy eh!?!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No doubt this will delight the smug couch potatoes who insist that running is dangerous. 

Just point them to the thousands of people who die every year slumped in a chair well over weight.

As for this poor chap it is a real tragedy especially as he was so young. You'd imagine he was really fit so just one of those freak occurrences and may be due to an underlying issue he was totally oblivious to.

Edited by markavfc40

40 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Yes I saw this earlier today, awful news.

When I came through the finish there was some poor dude spread out on a stretcher not looking great.

Also a guy I met doing my marathon last year and from local races since I ran past at 10k. He got to 40k in 2:53 and finished in 3:57 as the ambulance peeps wouldn't let him go. He has run 150 marathons and ran 12 under 3 hours last year.

You can never under estimate what can go wrong in a marathon.

So I had almost forgotten that I get to run another one in a couple of months, but this one is after a 2.5 mile swim and 112 mile bike ride in 30 plus degrees heat - easy peasy eh!?!

doing an ironman ? 

Â