Running

trimandson

Proper, officially measured races.

Yup, I've run a 30sec 5k faster than my PB during a 10k. I must try and sort that soon, especially after failing to do my marathon and half marathon time. I did manage to do a 10 mile PB on Sunday, but have run 10 miles faster during a half marathon last year.

I would have a go at my 5k time on Sunday at a race i am doing, but I'm already doing a cross country team race across the South Downs on Saturday, so my legs will be screwed.

Anyone ever had a stress fracture? I'd been adding a lot of hill running into my runs and started to get a bit of shin pain, figured I'd done too much too soon and picked up shin splints so I begrudgingly laid off the running for a while. Went to the doctor who sent me for an x-ray just to be on the safe side and it came back clear so I gave it three weeks and then I tried to go out for a run again and about 50 yards in started getting a horrible shooting pain in one specific point on the inside of my right shin. 

I've since read that stress fractures hardly ever show up on x-rays and that combined with the pain I got when I tried to run has got me a little worried. I've been continuing to cycle to work every day 'cause I figured it wouldn't be too bad for my shins, it's not far however there are a few steep hills and I'm starting to wonder if pulling up hills is what's made it worse.

Is it worth going back to the doctor? Or paying to see a physio? I'm not getting much pain at the moment besides a bit of aching around my shins every now and then, I've been doing calf stretches daily, using my foam roller a couple of times a day and taking ibuprofen when it flares up, I figure even if it is a stress fracture there's still not much else I can do besides rest anyway right?

It's infuriating not being able to run especially as we've had a few days of nice weather recently, I was planning on running the New Forest marathon in September as well and I'm probably going to have to cancel that.

6 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

Anyone ever had a stress fracture? I'd been adding a lot of hill running into my runs and started to get a bit of shin pain, figured I'd done too much too soon and picked up shin splints so I begrudgingly laid off the running for a while. Went to the doctor who sent me for an x-ray just to be on the safe side and it came back clear so I gave it three weeks and then I tried to go out for a run again and about 50 yards in started getting a horrible shooting pain in one specific point on the inside of my right shin. 

I've since read that stress fractures hardly ever show up on x-rays and that combined with the pain I got when I tried to run has got me a little worried. I've been continuing to cycle to work every day 'cause I figured it wouldn't be too bad for my shins, it's not far however there are a few steep hills and I'm starting to wonder if pulling up hills is what's made it worse.

Is it worth going back to the doctor? Or paying to see a physio? I'm not getting much pain at the moment besides a bit of aching around my shins every now and then, I've been doing calf stretches daily, using my foam roller a couple of times a day and taking ibuprofen when it flares up, I figure even if it is a stress fracture there's still not much else I can do besides rest anyway right?

It's infuriating not being able to run especially as we've had a few days of nice weather recently, I was planning on running the New Forest marathon in September as well and I'm probably going to have to cancel that.

When I was training for the marathon, I got shin splints intermittently.  My (completely non-medical advice) would be:

- Spend ages stretching before running.  Get a roller, and spend ages on the backs of your legs, it's often tightness there that causes the cramps in the front of your shins.

- Slow down a bit if they start to hurt

- Mix up running off road with on road

- As you're doing lots of hills, do a bit more flat stuff.

I would second the stretching. Look into doing some heel drops too. I've never had a stress fracture but I've known a couple of guys who had and they are supposedly really tricky to diagnose via X-ray. If the pain is not improving when you've added in stretching and rolling, go back to see the doc.

If it is a stress fracture, you can probably forget about an autumn marathon :( good luck!

Its pointless going to a doctor who has nothing to do with running or an interest, ......as in ask at reception if one of them does run (they will know more about running injuries) than the usual quack .....

Most people wouldn’t recommend stretching before running; rather stretch after, but always warm up properly. Some people do some gentle stretches after a warm up if they are doing intervals.

Edited by PauloBarnesi

Well, my calf has recovered, but the achilles is still sore. I suspect new running shoes may have been partly responsible. 

I actually have a race I want to do on Tuesday evening. It's only about six miles, and - crucially - it's off road, so I'll probably go for it. Even if I'm near the back, it's a few team points for the league position. I think I'll use my old shoes though.

On 5/6/2016 at 13:56, zak said:

I do a fair bit of running. I wouldnt say i really enjoy it, just part of my boxing training.

Fridays i run to and from work which is 11km each way and then 2 or 3 more 5/6km a week

On Monday the gym was closed so decided on another 10km or so run on the Sunday but while on the run kept adding park laps and so ended up running just over 20km.

With running a half marathon just for the craic im tempted to run a proper half sooning and possibly London marathon next year, otherwise it seems a waste of my fitness.

Downside is means more running that i already do. ;)

I am also super competitive and would be pissed off with anything over 1:25 and 3:15 which i understand is a pretty aggressive stance. 2 people i know ran London in 2:57 and 3:01 this year and my housemate has ran a 2:51.

Iv only ever ran a timed 10km once, 40:49

Hmmm its a predicament 

Ran my 2nd 10km on Saturday..... 39.01 which obviously very happy with it

May go on to do a half at some point this year but not sure a full marathon is for me

Edited by zak
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, zak said:

Ran my 2nd 10km on Saturday..... 49.01 which obviously very happy with it

May go on to do a half at some point this year but not sure a full marathon is for me

A little confused. You ran your 1st 10k in ~40min and your second in ~50min?

~40min puts you within reach of a 3hr marathon, but under 3:15 would be very attainable.

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

A little confused. You ran your 1st 10k in ~40min and your second in ~50min?

~40min puts you within reach of a 3hr marathon, but under 3:15 would be very attainable.

Oops..... ran it in 39.01

• Like 1

Well, I ran that vets' race, the calf survived, but after about a mile the achilles began to hurt. By three miles I was limping and slowing badly. By the end I was being passed by clubmates who wouldn't normally see me for dust, sayng "You all right, mate?", and in agony. Put a few points on the board I suppose.

Next one is in precisely one week, can't see me making it short of a miracle cure. :(

Edited by mjmooney

@mjmooney I had quite crippling achilles crap a couple of yrs ago. Did the heel drops as follows.

15 straight leg heel drops plus 15 bent knee heel drops. Make sure to do both legs, this also gives the sore achilles a chance to rest. The straight leg drop will work your calf/achilles, while the bent knee will do the soleus/achilles.

I've said 1-3 days, but take longer if required. Then add a second set. Increase to 6 sets over a few weeks, and when that feels great, throw on a backpack with 5kg inside. This routine got me from not being able to run 50m to being able to do a few miles (albeit slowly) in a few weeks. You'll be good as new in 4-8 weeks. This assumes it's similarly somewhat mild tendinopathy that I had. I found the link below to be very useful.

Achilles tendonitis in runners: A degenerative overuse injury best treated with eccentric heel drops (http://www.runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html)

If pain persists seek non-villatalk help ;)

Edited by villakram

Got my official 5k down to 22.08 after only a year of running last night .....**** is I had that 8 seconds ..I know I  did ......IT band on right leg playing up big style last few days ....I dont want to go back to the physio :blink:

Â