Running

trimandson

Brighton marathon this weekend finished in 3:23 a 17 minute PB. Negative split of 1:43/1:40, very happy. Birmingham 10k in a couple of weeks. Lot's of running to be done over the summer with the big goal being Berlin marathon in September....going to target 3:15 (HM*2 + 16 mins).

If anyone is thinking of Brighton I can highly recommend it, apart from miles 19-22 which go around an industrial area, the support around the rest of the course is fantastic, had me running too fast at times, so needed to slow down!

Strava link for anyone interested https://www.strava.com/activities/549468248

Good luck to @andyjsg and anyone else running London this weekend!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I think it's very much a thing you get when your muscles are catching up with your aerobics. Once you have sufficiently strong support muscles it seems to go away.

I think it's the other way round - when your leg muscles are strong, but your breathing can't keep up. 

I've got good lungs and poor muscles, but I never get stitch. 

Brighton marathon this weekend finished in 3:23 a 17 minute PB. Negative split of 1:43/1:40, very happy. Birmingham 10k in a couple of weeks. Lot's of running to be done over the summer with the big goal being Berlin marathon in September....going to target 3:15 (HM*2 + 16 mins).

If anyone is thinking of Brighton I can highly recommend it, apart from miles 19-22 which go around an industrial area, the support around the rest of the course is fantastic, had me running too fast at times, so needed to slow down!

Strava link for anyone interested https://www.strava.com/activities/549468248

Good luck to@andyjsg and anyone else running London this weekend!

Excellent effort, 17 mins is a huge jump!!

Finally looking forward to the weekend. Not totally cold free but feeling much better than last week. According to strava I did a mile PB tonight so can't be in too bad shape, so I'm going to go for my 6:15s and if it's tough going I will drop 10-15 secs a mile.

• Like 2

Haha, behave!!

My swimming is awful.

You will get to see the results of me not doing any cycling for a few months and then trying to cycle up Mt Tiede a few days after a marathon. Gonna be an epic day of pain...

Alternative view, Mizuno Wave enigmas gave me a knee injury ;)

My new Adidas supernova glide boost 7 are absolutely brilliant.

Horses for courses, some will fit people better than others.

Gonna run 20K tomorrow in a wonderful forest full of oak trees, it's like running in paradise.

Last time i ran there i got lost and when i really started to panick i was saved by this beautiful brunette who had lived her whole life close to that forest.

Hoping to meet her tomorrow again, will have my phone with me this time so i wont get lost.

11 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Gonna run 20K tomorrow in a wonderful forest full of oak trees, it's like running in paradise.

Last time i ran there i got lost and when i really started to panick i was saved by this beautiful brunette who had lived her whole life close to that forest.

Hoping to meet her tomorrow again, will have my phone with me this time so i wont get lost.

Did she cast an evil spell on you? 

14 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

At what point did you wake up during this dream?

On 4/19/2016 at 17:58, mjmooney said:

I think it's the other way round - when your leg muscles are strong, but your breathing can't keep up. 

I've got good lungs and poor muscles, but I never get stitch. 

The muscle you get a stitch in is your diaphragm so I imagine you're right.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The muscle you get a stitch in is your diaphragm so I imagine you're right.

No accepted reason https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch 

There are other theories regarding side stitches than simple stretching of the visceral ligaments due to repeated vertical translation and jolting. Such theories include:

1. The pain may be caused by an increase in blood flow the liver or spleen. Increased heart rate will force extra red blood cells into the liver which can cause temporary hepatomegaly and portal hypertension.[5] Temporaryhepatomegaly and portal hypertension can restrict blood flow through the portal vein of the liver thus slowing blood flow to the rest of the body; this is why most runner's cramps are felt on the right side near the liver.[5][6] A plausible mechanism for the pain is that high internal pressure in the liver or spleen restricts blood flow, causing hypoxia.
  2. Diaphragmatic Ischemia[1][7]
  3. Imbalances of the thoracic spine[8]
  4. Irritation of the parietal peritoneum[1]
  5. Strain on visceral ligaments by a fluid-engorged gut[1][7][9]
  6. Shallow breathing[10]

For me, it was weakness in the core muscles i.e. core support required to keep you upright, so as I said, it's having enough oxygen uptake to support a speed that your core can't maintain.

Edited by darrenm

Â