Ronald Araújo

Greenfly

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It would be very exciting and a huge statement of where we are now… but it doesn’t really feel like a Monchi signing. We’ve invested hugely in scouting and development, and got him in to spearhead it all and we go for a £100m CB from Barca… sounds unlikely I think 

Maybe but not every deal of Monchi is going to be an untapped gem.  Maybe Emery wants his Virgil Van Dijk, the dominant defender that changes the level of their team and will to go all out for somebody that could be the foundation of the defence for a decade.

I think it’s very unlikely deal for so many reasons but would it shock me? No.  Great league seasons depend on solid defences and we’ve been a bit leaky.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Like don't get me wrong, this would be the biggest and one of the best signings ever for this club. He would be the solution to a lot of our defensive problems, he is aerially dominant in top 3% of CBs for that plus he's incredible on the ball and only just turned 25. It's just there's no way he would join us as if he was for sale there are a list of top clubs who would jump at the chance to sign him. 

If we could pull this off it would be the coup of the century for Villa. He would cost £60m+ minimum though. 

Monchi and Emery (plus the coaching team).  Two big reasons why it might not be unrealistic - especially as we won't have the "yeah but they can offer CL football" issue now that we are there too.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

More chance of signing ronald macdonald

(someone had to come in with this cliche).

I thought about it but then I thought you’d relish the idea

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but not every deal of Monchi is going to be an untapped gem.  Maybe Emery wants his Virgil Van Dijk, the dominant defender that changes the level of their team and will to go all out for somebody that could be the foundation of the defence for a decade.

I think it’s very unlikely deal for so many reasons but would it shock me? No.  Great league seasons depend on solid defences and we’ve been a bit leaky.

Van Dijk kind of was an “untapped gem” he played for Southampton 😂

14 minutes ago, allani said:

Monchi and Emery (plus the coaching team).  Two big reasons why it might not be unrealistic - especially as we won't have the "yeah but they can offer CL football" issue now that we are there too.

He's a top top player who should be competing for titles. He's not a Villa or Spurs player he's a City/Arsenal or Bayern player etc..

• Confused 3

I go to bed with my ears ringing with poster's comments on how we have no ambition surrounding the Barkley and Gallagher rumours. Backwards steps blah blah. 

I wake up and we're interested in Ronald Araujo. 

I love this site. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's a top top player who should be competing for titles. He's not a Villa or Spurs player he's a City/Arsenal or Bayern player etc..

That's why Emery is here 😉

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He's the 2024 Joao Felix

Probably right. It would require a significant transfer fee + big wages, doesn’t really fit our current transfer model.

Edited by duke313

45 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Probably right. It would require a significant transfer fee + big wages, doesn’t really fit our current transfer model.

Yeah I agree but I think even during this window we’ll slowly start seeing our transfer model change more so if we see some sales to profile players. Not saying we will especially with the restraints of FFP but over the next few seasons most definitely. 
RA is a game changer tbh, if we start attracting and signing players of his calibre then we’re competing at the highest level. 

5 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Yeah I agree but I think even during this window we’ll slowly start seeing our transfer model change more so if we see some sales to profile players. Not saying we will especially with the restraints of FFP but over the next few seasons most definitely. 
RA is a game changer tbh, if we start attracting and signing players of his calibre then we’re competing at the highest level. 

Even if we don't get Araujo (which is likely), a RB/CB hybrid seems to be on the cards.  Added to the fact Diego Carlos is probably on his way out, suggest to me a defensive tweak by Emery.

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

Balde is prime asset for sale and I think they are releasing Alonso … may be wrong 

Would take Balde for sure if he's part of their fire sale. Still only 20.

• Like 1

There was supposed to be a big fire sale of Barcelona's players last summer before a date in June accordingly to the rumour mill. Don't think it actually happened though.

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Wtf? Where are the links to this player?!

I'm not sure if anybody has replied to you yet, but it was on the BBC gossip pages which was linked to a Spanish article. I didn't bother translating it and came straight here instead lol. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Van Dijk kind of was an “untapped gem” he played for Southampton 😂

Haha yes just the little £75m…..Barca and Southampton are about the same level aren’t they? 😂