Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

Trippier’s been diabolical for Newcastle. Cost them various goals with his terrible positioning. Maddison hasn’t done anything of note for Spurs in months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

So if four get cut, would imagine it's a GK, two defenders and a MF/ST. But maybe even three defenders.

It's 7 being cut.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ml1dch said:

There are 33 players there, so seven need to be scrapped. 

Ah ok - my bad, didn't count and read he was announcing 30.

Posted (edited)

Three defenders, GK and ST to be cut I'd imagine. Or a midfielder, but the midfield is already very light. Decent chance for both Konsa and Ollie to go I think.

Edit: Oh, need to cut two more. Makes it harder for Konsa but I think Ollie will go.

Edited by DaoDeMings

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Trippier’s been diabolical for Newcastle. Cost them various goals with his terrible positioning. Maddison hasn’t done anything of note for Spurs in months. 

Only thing i can think of its that Trippier might well be the second best left back in this squad. Luke Shaw would be first choice but you are expecting fatty to run after being 3 months out previously. Its scary to see the lack of left back here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Predicted cut:

Trafford, Konsa, Quansah, Curtis Jones, Eze, Gordon, Maddison.

Be very light on the LW if both of them go, would leave only Grealish the natural.

Just now, Jonesy7211 said:

Predicted cut:

I reckon Konsa will make it over Dunk, one of Maddison and Eze will go and Toney won't. Don't think both Wharton and Mainoo go either.

Oh wow Ezri did make it. I'm going to assume as a right back.

Trippier and Shaw as left backs.

Walker, Konsa and Gomez as right backs with TAA in midfield.

I think Ezri might get cut though and he will pick Gomez. Unless Shaw isn't deemed fit enough as Gomez becomes left back cover. 

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Predicted cut:

I'm not sure you need both Toney and Watkins to back-up Kane. Especially as Bowen or Bellingham 'can' play there (or have done this season, anyway).

I'd take Gordon. Not a lot of pace in the front-line, without Rashford.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Be very light on the LW if both of them go, would leave only Grealish the natural.

He plays Foden there sometimes, as well as Bowen who plays there.

Edit GS is currently talking about Foden and Jude playing on the left and then drifting in.

Edited by Jonesy7211

He just said in the press conference that Shaw is a pretty major fitness doubt (which is understandable), so confusing why we haven't got any other actual left backs in the squad. Surely he could have cut one of the CBs he's pretty confident he won't need and put Mitchell in?

Otherwise I think it's about as good as possible with the players available. 

• Like 1

Few points:

Ramsdale hasn’t played for the entire season. Madness he’s included. 

Shaw and Maguire have been out more than not this season. Getting in on history and the United badge. 

Toney has been really poor since he returned from his forced hiatus. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the final squad. 

In reality expect to see Konsa dropped from the final squad to keep some of the deadwood! 

Surprised that Mitchell doesn't make even an initial squad - but the rest is probably as expected.  

People will moan about the players included as a dig against Southgate, but I'm really not sure who the alternatives are - especially in midfield.  For example, if not Toney as a third striking option then... who?

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Surprised that Mitchell doesn't make even an initial squad - but the rest is probably as expected.  

People will moan about the players included as a dig against Southgate, but I'm really not sure who the alternatives are - especially in midfield.  For example, if not Toney as a third striking option then... who?

Solanke. Agree about midfield though

1 minute ago, DaoDeMings said:

Solanke. Agree about midfield though

Toney or Solanke is much of a muchness - I reckon Toney is probably a better striker, personally.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Toney or Solanke is much of a muchness - I reckon Toney is probably a better striker, personally.

Toney takes a better penalty anyway, which is realistically about as much involvement as a third striker is likely to have. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not this season they aren't. Toney has scored 4 since he came back, none in months, Solanke has equalled Watkins. 

@HanoiVillan makes a fair point about penalties though. Realistically I don't think Watkins or any striker behind Kane is getting more than a handful of minutes unless Kane is injured or suspended, coming on for a shootout might be their lot

Could of atleast called another Left back other than Luke Shaw. 

Toney only in the squad because Southgate's been his rehab buddy.

Absolutely stupid these relationships he has with these players. 

Â