Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Tenner that Henderson is in the squad.

Hasn't he been in every squad that he's been available for since Southgate took over? I've seen bolder predictions in my time. 

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Hasn't he been in every squad that he's been available for since Southgate took over? I've seen bolder predictions in my time. 

True but he had a pulse during most of the other tournaments.

Posted (edited)

If Hendo's "mythical" pressence is a factor then I wont be surprise and can say much if he is still being selected.

Rashford on the other hand though - there really is no excuse or reason why he should be anywhere near that squad.

and also I am anticipating a reaction when Dier is officially selected for this

Edited by HongKongVillan

7 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

If Hendo's "mythical" pressence is a factor then I wont be surprise and can say much if he is still being selected.

Rashford on the other hand though - there really is no excuse or reason why he should be anywhere near that squad.

Dier gets a free pass everywhere to keep our best player happy.

15 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

He's been Bayern's best defender since he joined them. If England's centre-backs were being selected on form, it would probably be any two from him, Guehi, Branthwaite and Tarkowski.

If it were any other english defender playing in Champions League semi-finals, keeping Dayot Upameacano and Kim Min-Jae out of the team then there would be no question of him being called up. 

15 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Both are forecast to be healthy (although agree match fitness / form isn’t there).

Not many other LB options, are there? Tripper at LB and Gomez are pretty uninspiring, Colwill has just come back from injury himself and is probably more of a CB.

Livramento, Mitchell, Hall? Who would you take? 

For me, you absolutely take Tyrick Mitchell.  I'd probably even start him.

GK: Ramsdale, Henderson, Pickford

DF: Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Konsa, Stones, Branthwaite, Tomori, ,Guehi, Colwill, Mitchell

MF: Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Maddison, Eze, Ward-Prowse, Jones

FW: Kane, Watkins, Bowen, Saka, Foden, Palmer, Gordon

But obviously, the likes of Maguire, Phillips, Mount, Henderson, Rashford etc will be included.

I don't mind too much if Maguire is in, even if he's crap and plays crap for England at times he's at least played games and performed on the odd occasion. I'd not pick him but there is some sense. 

Players who shouldn't be anywhere near though are Rashford, Henderson, Phillips and Mount.

We have so many players on the top of their games at the moment in positions they play in as well.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Tenner that Henderson is in the squad.

Getting leaked by Talksport and various Newspapers he's missed out.

Think Mainoo will start alongside Rice. Not sure what the back up to that will be.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

GK: Ramsdale, Henderson, Pickford

DF: Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Konsa, Stones, Branthwaite, Tomori, ,Guehi, Colwill, Mitchell

MF: Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Maddison, Eze, Ward-Prowse, Jones

FW: Kane, Watkins, Bowen, Saka, Foden, Palmer, Gordon

But obviously, the likes of Maguire, Phillips, Mount, Henderson, Rashford etc will be included.

That's pretty close to what I'd have said the squad should be as well.

I think it's hard to justify taking Maddison based on three good months last Autumn and Eze should be in to replace him (rather than as well as him). I'd have Maguire in for Tomori. Obviously the succession planning should have been done at the end of the last tournament and the last two years would have been assimilating someone like Colwill or Tomori instead of Maguire. But as it wasn't, he's still probably worth a place in the squad. 

On performances this season / form, I'd have Gallagher over Ward-Prowse and if we're taking an uncapped midfielder I think England could do with what Wharton does more than what Jones does. 

As a Villa fan I'd hope Konsa goes. Looking at how they've performed over the last few months though, Gomez is probably the better option for the auxiliary defender. Given he can fill in at left-back as well as right-back. 

I think that's probably the correct front seven.

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

For me, you absolutely take Tyrick Mitchell.  I'd probably even start him.

Colwill would start ahead of Mitchell, he was playing LB every week for Chelsea in first half of the season.

Shaw simply isn't fit and Chilwell was useless in the March games so that's England's problem position for this tournament. Think Trippier will probably have to play there with his experience.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

He's been Bayern's best defender since he joined them. If England's centre-backs were being selected on form, it would probably be any two from him, Guehi, Branthwaite and Tarkowski.

If it were any other english defender playing in Champions League semi-finals, keeping Dayot Upameacano and Kim Min-Jae out of the team then there would be no question of him being called up. 

They have still leaked goals with him 

10 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Wharton and Eze in provisional with Branthwaite and Curtis Jones.

No Henderson, Chilwell or Sterling. That's good. 

Where is this being reported, I've missed this.

Just now, HKP90 said:

Where is this being reported, I've missed this.

On the BBC website. Nothing confirmed, just what is being reported by people like The Athletic, and what BBC reporters "understand".

• Thanks 1

Â