Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

2 hours ago, ccfcman said:

Man I wish my Grandad could have seen this. He's only gone a couple years but he converted me with the Coca Cola Cup. If only I'd known what lay ahead for the next two decades. A Corkman who moved to Birmingham for a few years, spoke of Villa Park in the 60s as something approaching t he Maracana.

Will enjoy a trip and tiple in his name at the Bernabau or San Siro :)

Special Grandads certainly leave an enormous gap after they’ve gone don’t they. 😢  But like you I love to imagine how mine would have enjoyed this season.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

From the Athletic 

Link

If true then in our accounts next year or the year after, if we also include the Adidas and Betano deals, we could be looking at well over £300m in revenue which would be a huge commercial achievement and get us much closer to the Big Six teams financially. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I love how some fans of other clubs are saying that we’ll struggle to finish anywhere near the Top 6 next season because we’ve got Champions League football.

If anything it was tougher this season playing on a Thursday / Sunday schedule.

I also believe that the momentum we gained from the European games actually helped us in the league.

Plus we have a manager that knows exactly what he’s doing.

Yep, playing Conference will have helped the players who’ve not played in Europe before get used to it. Newcastle might have fared better in CL if they’d have had a season in Europa first. It also helps that we have a very experienced Euro manager.

• Like 3

I love how some fans of other clubs are saying that we’ll struggle to finish anywhere near the Top 6 next season because we’ve got Champions League football.

I also believe that the momentum we gained from the European games actually helped us in the league.

True but the level of opponent will be much stronger so will take more out of the players. It’s why we will need a stronger squad for rotation and hopefully will have much better luck with injuries this time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but the level of opponent will be much stronger so will take more out of the players. It’s why we will need a stronger squad for rotation and hopefully will have much better luck with injuries this time. 

Considering what we did with a depleted side, and with those injured coming back and new signings, I'm hoping we will be a lot stronger and ready for the task 

Wishlist based on the pots:

Bayern - Home (play at Allianz in final instead)
Madrid - away
Juve - home
Milan - away
Feyenoord - away (scene of our greatest victory)
Lille - home
Monaco - home although away would be cool
AEK - away obvs, considering we missed out on playing there.

When are the 2024/25 Champions League League stage matches?

Matchday 1: 17–19 September 2024
Matchday 2: 1/2 October 2024
Matchday 3: 22/23 October 2024
Matchday 4: 5/6 November 2024
Matchday 5: 26/27 November 2024
Matchday 6: 10/11 December 2024
Matchday 7: 21/22 January 2025
Matchday 8: 29 January 2025

When is the 2024/25 Champions League knockout stage?

Knockout round play-offs: 11/12 & 18/19 February 2025
Round of 16: 4/5 & 11/12 March 2025
Quarter-finals: 8/9 & 15/16 April 2025
Semi-finals: 29/30 April & 6/7 May 2025
Final: 31 May 2025

When are the 2024/25 Champions League draws?

First qualifying round: 18 June 2024
Second qualifying round: 19 June 2024
Third qualifying round: 22 July 2024
Play-offs: 5 August 2024
League phase: 29 August 2024
Knockout round play-offs: 31 January 2025
Round of 16, quarter-final, semi-final: 21 February 2025

Link

from UEFA

• Thanks 2

And it helped keep the squad happy, everyone got a chance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Yep. We'll have a better and probably bigger squad, less injuries (you would hope) and, realistically, less games.

Unless we actually manage to go far in the competition which I don't think anyone is realistically expecting.

Certainly towards the end of the season I'd expect us to be fresher

• Like 1

More a musing for the whole season, but it will be interesting to see what takes priority, how we manage other competitions, whether the priorities change over the course of the season.

It’s probably not unreasonable to say that the club’s top priority would be doing “well” in the champions league and trying to finish high enough in the league to qualify once again.

But while it’s great to get the champions league qualification monkey off our back…there remains the we-need-to-win-a-damn-trophy monkey on our back. And the league and FA cups represent a more realistic opportunity for that.

I suppose it’s the much debated subject of what success looks like and how a supporter’s view of that compares to the club’s.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

More a musing for the whole season, but it will be interesting to see what takes priority, how we manage other competitions, whether the priorities change over the course of the season.

It’s probably not unreasonable to say that the club’s top priority would be doing “well” in the champions league and trying to finish high enough in the league to qualify once again.

But while it’s great to get the champions league qualification monkey off our back…there remains the we-need-to-win-a-damn-trophy monkey on our back. And the league and FA cups represent a more realistic opportunity for that.

I suppose it’s the much debated subject of what success looks like and how a supporter’s view of that compares to the club’s.

Agreed to an extent.

There is a real sadness about our not winning the FA Cup since 1957. Unfortunately, however, with our upcoming schedule next season, I seriously doubt we will prioritise the FA Cup. 

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Agreed to an extent.

There is a real sadness about our not winning the FA Cup since 1957. Unfortunately, however, with our upcoming schedule next season, I seriously doubt we will prioritise the FA Cup. 

I think in the case of the FA cup it would really depend on how well we’d done in the champions league - we’ll know by then if we’re into the knock out stages. If we’re already out, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go full tilt for it.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think in the case of the FA cup it would really depend on how well we’d done in the champions league - we’ll know by then if we’re into the knock out stages. If we’re already out, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go full tilt for it.

To be out of the CL by the FA Cup 3rd round at the start of Jan, we'd need to have been pretty bad in the CL, as there will still be two games still to play after the FA Cup 3rd round,

Â