• Watkins
    • Zaniolo (Tielemans 64)
    • Chambers (Luiz 79)
    • Durán (Zaniolo 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I went into this one with one eye on tomorrow and a little bit noncommittal, get it over with so we can concentrate on Citeh beating Spurs.

That didn't last.

The own goal put a dent in things but it was pretty obvious almost immediately that we were in no mood to lie down and let them walk all over us - I thought our performance was excellent, we passed the ball well, we were committed, we had a plan and we cut them open time and time again - their second goal after our equaliser seemed against the run of play and then when we missed the ridiculous Carlos chance and the reasonable Diaby chance there was perhaps the potential for heads to drop.

Going two-one down gave us another opportunity to do that, VAR did it's madness and the referee decided that Liverpool players were unf***ingbookable and still we kept coming, kept playing the ball around them, kept getting in behind - Bailey was brilliant at times, McGinn worked his socks off and though I'm sure he'll be getting plenty of criticism I thought Diaby showed real strength of character to keep coming back and keep trying to make things happen - at times we were almost unplayable going forward, a real display of athleticism and mental strength..

And three-one down.

Sometimes you need something different.

Cometh the hour, cometh the bonkers high energy South American superhulk of destiny.

Bang.

Bang.

The place was absolutely rocking, it was incredibly loud, it was aggressive, determined, positive and willing us to get another - if Diaby's shot that was well saved had gone in, I think you'd have heard us from mars. As it was the atmosphere was as good as it's been all season, and more than that, the crowd stuck with the players after the OG, and again when we were 3-1 down - it was loyalty and determination and an energy that was reflected in the performance we got. There's a really good feeling around the place and you could see the connection when the players came back out after the game - and the love for the manager when he stood, arms raised in front of the Holte End - he looked very much at home and I don't think I've ever seen a Villa Park crowd that adore a manager more.

A crazy game, two good sides, loads of good football, loads of drama, an appalling referee who could quite easily have booked seven or eight Liverpool players and left having booked one. chances missed left right and centre, the dangers of the offside trap, the idiocy of VAR and it's make-it-up-as-you-go-along approach, the peculiar feeling afterwards that despite the adrenaline rush of the finish we should really have won it and a night where we're a point nearer the holy grail of Champions league football. My throat hurts and my legs are still shaking. Football.

Spurs now need to win in order to force us into needing at least a draw at Palace - here's hoping they don't get one and that we can celebrate tomorrow the achievements of today.

Up the f***ing Villa!

Oh and hello Adidas, I think you'll like it here.

strongly agree about diaby.  he frustrates with decisions, but he is in the right place moving with needed quickness over and over again.  his head doesn't drop.  he just keeps getting in the right place and using his speed to go again.  i'm not sure how to turn that into the devastating instrument it could be.  but I think it's a mistake to write him off.

• Like 4

Feels like a big point in a couple of different ways, especially won the way that it was. Often it seems that teams who finish  a season strongly can really kick on the following season - us last season, Newcastle before, our 97-8 season all spring to mind.  And while we're not exactly finishing strongly, there have still been some pretty good games - Arsenal and Bournemouth wins, and now tonight restored a bit of the shine and hopefully gives us confidence for Sunday. Regroup and then hopefully end on a high

47 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Just back.... Phew.... What a f****** game. Had everything tbh. Shit ref, cheating scousers but most of all a never say die Villa team. 

Some really good performances, a couple of poor ones but most of all a great end of the season finish, although very unfortunate not to get the win.

I love my f****** club. UTV 💜💙

Ditto.  I’ve lost my voice…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Jeez what a game, disastrous start but fought back, horrible start to 2nd half too.

Duran comes on, makes a balls of first thing he touches, Emery screams bloody murder at him then his next two involvements are goals.

Brilliant atmosphere again, loads of scouse from the far east in C1 and C2, if you're gonna sit in the home end then don't wear a Liverpool top ya wallies.

Glad we stayed for the lap of honour, even though it was raining they walked their kids around, great to see Mings and Buendia too.

Were the flags by 1897? great addition.

I'm gonna stick me neck out and say that's enough for top 4

Edited by Talldarkandransome
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Massive point and well done Villa for not giving up tonight despite the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune.  Inching towards that Champions League place, I think we are nearly there now.

Duran has to stay next season for entertainment value alone. Utterly mad player but so much talent.  And who would think the lesser-spotted Callum Chambers would play a pivotal role?

Big improvement from recent weeks but still making mistakes at the back. Martinez was a freak mistake but we must stop letting in after the break next season, it has cost us points. Not sure if its a concentration thing. Thought Elliott looked good for Liverpool, but they have dropped from their high standard this year. Klopp doesn't fancy the rebuild.

Overall a great game for the neutral and proud of the boys tonight. And a shout out to the Liverpool fans applauding the departed Villa fans and players at half time, fair play to them.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Callum Chambers would play a pivotal role?

I'm surprised that he wasn't in the Conference League squad...

I shut it off in the 80th minute and left for an appointment...  I figured we had lost 3-1, so imagine my surprise when I just saw the score, then the highlights!  

• Haha 2

I just wanted a response from previous games and we got it. Character,  aggression,  intensity and we never gave up. That will give the squad so much of a lift. If only we could cut out those individual errors and the back 4 can defend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

**** off Klipetty, and take your whiney fans with ya

spacer.png

Brilliant!

Calm down, calm down...

• Like 1

Â