Midweek Football 6/9 May

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

The united bench must be the worst in 30 years. It’s league 1 standard.

I looked at bench before KO and thought that's worse than ours with injuries

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

“A few mistakes” is some understatement.

In just his last 3 games, he’s passed the ball to the opposition to score (against Sheff Utd), given away a daft penalty to concede 2 points (Burnley) and now not made a relatively basic save (granted, no impact on the result).

They’ve conceded 15 in their last 6 and that includes Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Burnley and Palace.

Their defence is pretty wank and Onana is a big part of that, even if he makes some saves sometimes. 

I think he’s been decent overall considering what’s in front of him.

Put a good well organised defence in front of him and he’ll go back to looking like he did at Inter. 

• Haha 1

I don't think he's the worst keeper in the league, but he's not a top 6 keeper, nowhere near. Which is just as well really:D

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think he's the worst keeper in the league, but he's not a top 6 keeper, nowhere near. Which is just as well really:D

He was a key player in Inter Milan’s run to the Champions League final last year. He has a higher shot saving percentage than Martinez this season.

It’s Manchester United’s defence that are the problem, not their keeper. 

Onana would do fine in a top 6 team. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Put a good well organised defence in front of him and he’ll go back to looking like he did at Inter. 

Decent enough. A £40m+ keeper? One of the best in the league? Not for me. Passable top half, sure.

You’d have some convincing to do to persuade me that Man Utd’s defensive record would be worse if they swapped Onana for Dean Henderson. 

37 minutes ago, Hev said:

Do we still think we can beat these (CP) easily if we have to? 😱

On thecurrent form of both teams, no🙄🤪

43 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

And to think De Gea is a free agent still, they could’ve kept him on a monthly rolling contract 

I doubt he’d have accepted that type of offer. He will have rejected lots of deals.

Fair play to Palace though they're clearly in confident mood and well deserved their win against a woeful United side.

On this form we'll need to be at out best to beat Palace.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Decent enough. A £40m+ keeper? One of the best in the league? Not for me. Passable top half, sure.

You’d have some convincing to do to persuade me that Man Utd’s defensive record would be worse if they swapped Onana for Dean Henderson. 

Henderson’s shot save percentage is 62%. Onana’s is over 75%. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Onana is also much better with the ball at his feet which you need in a modern keeper. 

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He’s the reason they bombed out of the CL at the group stage. Truly awful goalkeeper.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

He’s the reason they bombed out of the CL at the group stage. Truly awful goalkeeper.

Nah, it’s slab head and Casemiro who have cost Man U. Onana was one of the main reasons Inter reached the Champions League final. He’s a pretty good player. 

Man U have conceded a similar number of goals to us despite giving up far more shots than we do.

If he was truly terrible Man U would not be top half with the way they defend. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Henderson’s shot save percentage is 62%. Onana’s is over 75%. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Onana is also much better with the ball at his feet which you need in a modern keeper. 

You’ve just looked at “Crystal Palace” there, eh? We can run with it though.

The problem with a lot of stats is that they have no context. So Man Utd may face more shots than any other side, but how many of their shots faced are from outside the area because they don’t close down? How many are from an angle rather than central? etc etc.

As a very brief glance, goalkeeping stats use PSxG/SoT (I lol’d a bit) to demonstrate how likely shots which are on target are to lead to goals. Aston Villa are at 0.35 (highest in the division) whereas Man Utd are at 0.27 (2nd lowest in the division). This roughly shows that per shot on target faced, Villa “should” concede more often than Man Utd. It also shows that Man Utd (Onana), whilst facing lots of shots, aren’t actually facing generally more difficult shots. If anything, he’s facing easier shots which he should save more often than not.

The three keepers up there for this are Martinez, Kaminski and Vicario - all have been largely heralded this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

Man utd fan complaining about refs cheating them 

Bask in that glorious sunshine 

Not a big team anymore... 

He's not a Man Utd fan.

Â