12 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Why is the other leg today, since when are Europa or ecl games on a wednesday?

May 9th is Ascension Day for which there is an annual UNESCO recognised city procession. UEFA made an exception after Club Brugge requested the rescheduling weeks ago.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/club-brugge-fiorentina-europa-conference-league-rearranged-973612-20240508

If we were at full strength, with no tiredness and A 2-0 LEAD, I would still expect to be shafted by the officials and go out tomorrow.

Fact is we are 2 goals DOWN, absolutely shattered and down to the bare bones. The dodgy ref won't even be needed for them but he is there just in case we happen to try and pull off a miracle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I wish I had the confident some of you guys have, and I admire all of you that do have confidence. Past two games we’ve looked lacklustre, tired and completely out of steam. Dont see how we are winning this. 

Wont be pissed if we don’t then.

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The ref isn't well received in Germany either

Isn't the 6 the number of yellow cards he gave?

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Incredible comeback and then kicked out for fielding an ineligible player.

"If anyone askes, your name is Boubacar"

We must believe this is a new resilient Aston Villa, as fans we must help Unai install the positive optimism he talks about. It is not easy after years of the opposite mindset, but it is achievable. I believe in this team, and what they have done this season is proof of what a bright future awaits

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guardian_Angel_M said:

We must believe this is a new resilient Aston Villa, as fans we must help Unai install the positive optimism he talks about. It is not easy after years of the opposite mindset, but it is achievable. I believe in this team, and what they have done this season is proof of what a bright future awaits

Love these hopeful thoughts. On that note, I hope Jhon Duran gets a chance to play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Love these hopeful thoughts. On that note, I hope Jhon Duran gets a chance to play.

This ref we have is card happy apparently so I'd be nervous about Duran playing.... hopefully the ref jumps on Olympiacos players who will no doubt be time wasting and diving around, feigning injuries....

• Like 1

If Tielemans, Martinez and Zaniolo are fit we should have a decent chance I feel. Who knows with these games, I think the will play their similar style and try get the goal which ends the tie. I think first goal is important not when it's scored, just who scores it

Posted (edited)

I think if Rogers and Tielemans aren't playing we really have to risk playing McGinn higher up and playing Tim next to Luiz. 

I also agree with the calls to play Moreno.

It's such a tricky scoreline though, risk one goal and we are done. I think risk over caution at this stage though, especially when on paper we have the better attacking players. 

Edited by VillaAlex

Even if we get some players back for this one we are 2 goals down away from home. If we manage to win this tie to go through to the final it will be one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever seen.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Even if we get some players back for this one we are 2 goals down away from home. If we manage to win this tie to go through to the final it will be one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever seen.

One goal and they fall apart, it's the fact we are playing so many games that's worrying especially when their well rested. First goal decides this.

Given our sticking plaster status, a win would be legendary. The vibe coming out of the camp/media/supporters is one of belief and determination however. It could be an epic night…

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It seems wild that a referee can previously have been done for match fixing yet still go on to take charge of a European semi final 

It really does. As someone else pointed out in pretty much any other job/industry you would lose your job and potentially be jailed for fraud. But in football refereeing you get rewarded with a European semi final… mad

15 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Emery will do a MON and play the kids, concentrating on the league games we have left.

The social media team will have a meltdown if this happens given the effort they’ve gone to get everyone #believing.

Seriously though, I do wonder given the injuries, whether he’ll weigh up the probabilities and decide not to risk 50/50 players like Martinez and Tielemans to keep them for the league.