Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Couldn't see what was going on but fair play, what a hero, hope whoever it was pulls through.

Putting it all in proportion, last night was a game of football that we lost. Without prompt medical attention a life could have been lost

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

The ref showed his colours when he pulled us back from a breakaway chance because their player had fouled one of ours.  He never blew straight away he saw we was breaking with players over and blew up. He never even booked there player,  just had a word and gave us a free kick.

Yep awful officiating and set the tone for second half where Olympiacos go do what they wanted.

• Like 1

Shame we couldn't have got out with a 1 goal deficit. We could turn that around, 2 goals is harder. 

Bookies have us around a 30% chance to qualify now would have been 50% if we were a goal down just. 

They do look like an open side where there are goals in the games so if we can get first goal in second leg in first half we can build on that.

Just now, turvontour said:

Why was the Bailey goal at the start disallowed? Doesn't look like anyone appealed for anything. All the players just look confused. 

Pull by Lenglet in the box but it was soft. Guy went down very easily.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep awful officiating and set the tone for second half where Olympiacos go do what they wanted.

I know it's sounds like sour grapes but I'm not overly bothered by the conference league. To me it's just extra games for the PL team that should be competing for top 4 but are handicapped by playing more games all over Europe with sub par officials and every team we come against get rest periods around the fixtures,  because their home leagues are poor and don't generate enough money.

To me UEFA seem to be using their competitions to compromise the Premier League, increasing the amount of competitions and the amount of games we have to play in them. Where do we draw the line, it's a super league by stealth.

Hopefully the fa cup gets to keep it's replays but I really do doubt the leaders of English footballs being capable of protecting our game against UEFA .

The only disadvantage in the 2nd leg is it's at there place. But with a few back including Emi, I can't see why we cannot beat these by 3 or even 4 if we get on it.

We will also know to handle El Kaabi a bit better.

Can someone help me with amounts of injury time. It literally feels like you can roll a dice to come up with the amount of minutes. Why was there 3 at the end of that first half? In the premier league it would have been 6 or 7. Equally the second half in the premier league is 8 or 9. Is there a different criteria for injury time in Europe? 

I think the missed penalty has decided the tie to be honest.

If we play like we did last night in the second leg we have no chance, we were predictable, slow, poor at passing and decision making, no urgency and worse of all no movement the ball pulling opposition players out of position...

What is it with us when we surround their penalty area attacking them, then either look for a way to walk the ball into the net or ending up retreating and passing the ball back to our keeper? It drives me insane!!! If you take a shot at goal it could get deflected - like their goal. Why are we so afraid to shoot sometimes?

The slow walking pace from defence through midfield and then into attack just gives the opposition time to reset their defence.

Olympiacos wanted it more than us last night.

To be fair the result cannot be blamed on one or two players, all of them were poor.

However in context hopefully the person who collasped last night in L2 recovers and all thanks to the prompt medical attention. MOTM award goes to that person who apparently carried out CPR 

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Can someone help me with amounts of injury time. It literally feels like you can roll a dice to come up with the amount of minutes. Why was there 3 at the end of that first half? In the premier league it would have been 6 or 7. Equally the second half in the premier league is 8 or 9. Is there a different criteria for injury time in Europe? 

UEFA decided not to use the injury time rules that the Premier League/World Cup used. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A lot of bad luck in that leg, but fair play to them, they came for a fight. 

Denied a penalty, missed a penalty, unfortunate hand ball leading to penalty, dissallowed goal, deflected goal. But also some poor defending and game control.  

Still winnable with an early goal over there but it will be hostile, however should have Emi, Pau and Tielemans back.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

A lot of bad luck in that leg, but fair play to them, they came for a fight. 

Denied a penalty, missed a penalty, unfortunate hand ball leading to penalty. But also some poor defending and game control.  

Still winnable with an early goal over there but it will be hostile, however should have Emi, Pau and Tielemans back.

Yes that was it for me. Mostly bad luck. In the same way we could have lost 4-2 to Chelsea on Saturday, we could have won that 4-2 last night. 

Disappointing to say the very least, but they aren't as good as we made them look last night. We can score goals in the away leg, the problem is not conceding them. It will take a performance like the one that we showed we are capable of at Arsenal, as was once said, "Do you want to bet against us?"  If you do, Coral have Olympiakos at 2/7 to qualify, but the bookies can get it wrong as last night demonstrated. 

The game would have been much different had VAR not seen fit to give them a goal that looked offside to everyone else and had the referee, not chosen to wave penalty claims away, when Bailey was brought down inside the box and everyone else expected the whistle to blow. The long delay that the referee also allowed to drag on, must clearly have had a major impact upon the late penalty miss by Douglas.

MOTM? One man, clearly had a tremendous impact upon the game. He's from Italy, he has no links to Sandro Tonali, wasn't seen accepting a brown envelope from Evangelos Marinakjs before the game and he didn't get a phone call from Aleksander Ceferin, to tell him that EUFA rather liked the idea of a Greek team playing in their Athens final: 

Tutte le notizie su Marco Guida | Canale Sassuolo He's ranked as a EUFA "elite" referee? Really, after last night's display...:angry: 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I think the missed penalty has decided the tie to be honest.

If we play like we did last night in the second leg we have no chance, we were predictable, slow, poor at passing and decision making, no urgency and worse of all no movement the ball pulling opposition players out of position...

What is it with us when we surround their penalty area attacking them, then either look for a way to walk the ball into the net or ending up retreating and passing the ball back to our keeper? It drives me insane!!! If you take a shot at goal it could get deflected - like their goal. Why are we so afraid to shoot sometimes?

The slow walking pace from defence through midfield and then into attack just gives the opposition time to reset their defence.

Olympiacos wanted it more than us last night.

To be fair the result cannot be blamed on one or two players, all of them were poor.

However in context hopefully the person who collasped last night in L2 recovers and all thanks to the prompt medical attention. MOTM award goes to that person who apparently carried out CPR 

First line is how I feel, that penalty and its such a different game, that OTT run up ffs

Although after watching what unfolded at half time, puts it all into perspective, I hope the gentleman is OK as that was utterly vile to witness, stewards, ambulance crew, the lady performing CPR, first class. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

Disappointing to say the very least, but they aren't as good as we made them look last night. We can score goals in the away leg, the problem is not conceding them. It will take a performance like the one that we showed we are capable of at Arsenal, as was once said, "Do you want to bet against us?"  If you do, Coral have Olympiakos at 2/7 to qualify, but the bookies can get it wrong as last night demonstrated. 

The game would have been much different had VAR not seen fit to give them a goal that looked offside to everyone else and had the referee, not chosen to wave penalty claims away, when Bailey was brought down inside the box and everyone else expected the whistle to blow. The long delay that the referee also allowed to drag on, must clearly have had a major impact upon the late penalty miss by Douglas.

MOTM? One man, clearly had a tremendous impact upon the game. He's from Italy, he has no links to Sandro Tonali, wasn't seen accepting a brown envelope from Evangelos Marinakjs before the game and he didn't get a phone call from Aleksander Ceferin, to tell him that EUFA rather liked the idea of a Greek team playing in their Athens final: 

Tutte le notizie su Marco Guida | Canale Sassuolo He's ranked as a EUFA "elite" referee? Really, after last night's display...:angry: 

He literally deserves to have his toenails pulled out with pliers after last night…

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Pull by Lenglet in the box but it was soft. Guy went down very easily.

& that referee couldn't wait to disallow it. The shirt tug gave him a decision to make and he didn't hesitate. 

Â