Going 2-0 up and not winning

Mantis

Anyone know how many times we've done this vs how many times we've done it to other teams, say in the last 20 years? Feels like the former happens way more than the latter.

Watkins calling out in the post match again. Rightly so. Kind of thing which will motivate him to leave if we keep doing it. Doesn't want to keep playing with losers and bottlers. We're a very insecure side incapable of learning.

I would be interested but I have zero intent in actually going through the number of times we’ve pissed away a two goal lead.

Today probably doesn’t even break the top ten since I’ve been following them. At least we ended up coming back ourselves and earning a point.

It says something that when I try and list the number of times we’ve come back from two goals down, I’m stuck on that Arsenal game with the falling Santa. Whereas there are plenty of examples the other way around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Watkins calling out in the post match again. Rightly so. Kind of thing which will motivate him to leave if we keep doing it. Doesn't want to keep playing with losers and bottlers. We're a very insecure side incapable of learning.

Deleted on reflection 

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I would be interested but I have zero intent in actually going through the number of times we’ve pissed away a two goal lead.

Today probably doesn’t even break the top ten since I’ve been following them. At least we ended up coming back ourselves and earning a point.

It says something that when I try and list the number of times we’ve come back from two goals down, I’m stuck on that Arsenal game with the falling Santa. Whereas there are plenty of examples the other way around.

any links to watkins comments?, vid?

We chased the game more at 2- 0 up than we did at 0-0 , poor game management,  we seem to want to try and score 4 goals in every game.

Second time under Emery.

Once under Slippy with that Man. City final match.

Actually we were 3-1 up v Leeds in the 3-3 game so twice.

And DS had the infamous Wolves game which sadly cost him his job.

All that since start of 2021 season.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Is there a reason you’re asking me?

yeah, i quoted the wrong person like a noob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going back to where it feels like it started with Macheda in 2010 (*Edit Turns out i hadn't gone back far enough for the other Macheda 3-2 game in 2009 but that wasn't a 2 goal lead anyway & had also missed one of the Baggies turnarounds in 13/14)

2023/24 - Utd 2-3 & Brentford 3-3

2021/22 - City 2-3, Wolves 2-3 & Leeds* 3-3 (3-1 up)

2018/19 - Preston 3-3, Leeds 2-3
Reversals - Forest 5-5, Hull 2-2 & Sheff Utd 3-3

2017/18 - Sheff Utd 2-2

2015/16 - Leicester 2-3

2013/14 - Liverpool 2-2
Reversal - West Brom 2-2, West Brom 4-3

2012/13 - West Brom 2-2, Utd 2-3 & Everton* 3-3 (3-1 up)

2011/12
Reversal - QPR 2-2

2010/11 - Utd 2-2

14 times we have failed to win from being 2 goals up against recovering from 2 down 6 times. 6 Games Lost & 1 Won

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Say it again 

Best team in the league for points dropped from winning positions 

Before today the utd game was the only game all season we'd done it, we had dropped 3 points from a winning position, were now up to 5

I know we're doing well on that front this season, although in general we seem to be particularly bad for it.

26 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I don't think he's in a position to really comment, as soon as a bit (not a lot) of competition in the form of Ings came in he went to shit and lost all his confidence and basically said he can't have a competition and needs smoke blown up his arse constantly to be confident and perform.

We’ll ain’t this some shit.

This is like when your Mrs uses something from 2/3 years ago for leverage in a present day argument 😂

whats the point of this thread? reactionary?

the question could have been asked elsewhere surely!!!!

all being well this will disappear soon

Just thinking, are we really bad at being 2-0? It happens in fairly quick succession, today, away Vs Luton in mind. Then of course that shit show at the theatre of sleep. 3 games since Xmas sounds bad, but if I extend it say from Emery's reign, then may be that's it? Just those 3 games? And of those games, fair to say we are unable to fill a stable strong team?

Not an excuse of today's shit show but hopefully another kick up the butt to the defence and hopefully Cash will be back soon as an option.

Think there is a gross overreaction to this on here for a change.

I remember many times in the past we have done this but under Emery it’s a rarity.

Lets not make a problem of it now by overt negativity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to keep on saying this.

Liverpool have dropped 4 points from a winning position this season.  We've now dropped 5.  Arsenal have dropped 9.  Man City 10.  Man Utd 13.  Spurs 20.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know we're doing well on that front this season, although in general we seem to be particularly bad for it.

But does any of that history really matter.   I mean for most of the last 20 years we've been poor.  But we're (hopefully) at the start of a different era now.  We need to stop projecting past failings onto the current team otherwise we're in danger of them impacting us.  We have mainly been superb at seeing out matches since Emery arrived.  Let's stop thinking about all the **** that came before.  It is (mainly) irrelevant.

12 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Just thinking, are we really bad at being 2-0? It happens in fairly quick succession, today, away Vs Luton in mind. Then of course that shit show at the theatre of sleep. 3 games since Xmas sounds bad, but if I extend it say from Emery's reign, then may be that's it? Just those 3 games? And of those games, fair to say we are unable to fill a stable strong team?

Not an excuse of today's shit show but hopefully another kick up the butt to the defence and hopefully Cash will be back soon as an option.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One thing to consider.

Everton 4-0

Burnley 3-1

Brighton 6-1

West Ham 4-1

Luton 3-1

Fulham 3-1

Sheff Utd 5-0

Fulham 2-1

Forest 4-2

Luton 3-2

Wolves 2-0

We were 2-0 up in all of these games and came away with all three points. Once or twice there we threatened to blow the lead completely, but we didn’t.

I’m not including Palace 3-1, because that was a proper to the death finish, it’s not like we had time to even consider throwing it away.

Think there may be some crossed wires here. I wasn't saying we're bad at holding onto 2-0 leads, and especially this season we've been on the whole very good. My point was that the number of times we have been 2-0 up and thrown it away in the Premier League era does seem rather high.

Â