Tricky one with the suspensions and players needing a rest.

I'd go:

-----------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Cash----------Carlos----------Lenglet------Moreno

----------------Iroegbunam---McGinn-----------------

Tielemans---------------------------------------Rogers

------------------Diaby---------------------------------------

-----------------------------Watkins-----------------------

I'd consider Duran for Watkins and Zaniolo for Tielemans depending on how they feel after today.

I think that's more than enough to win it and we can rest a couple of key players.

Martinez

Cash       Carlos        Lenglet       Moreno

Iroegbunam      McGinn 

Diaby                Zaniolo              Rogers

Watkins 

Konsa suspended and not sure it’s wise asking Pau to play three games in a week after his recent injury concerns. Chambers isn’t even registered is he? Maybe give Tielemans, Luiz and Bailey a rest.

Hopefully give some minutes to KKH, Ramsey, Kellyman and Duran. 

Edited by ferguson1

It's arguably our biggest game of the season, if we lose that't it, our last chance of winning a trophy gone, therefore I think we will play a very strong team. Although I've made a really interesting observation, in games where we have it won, or don't play to our full capacity because we're trying to manage it, we seem to play poorly in the following game, as if we've carried on the momentum or lack of it from the last game or rather the second half of the last game, so I think we have to be careful against Ajax, if we do find ourselves in a very favorable position, not to ease up too much, when we played Man City and Arsenal in quick succession won both, I think what helped us win the Arsenal game was the momentum we took from beating City and having to be at our upper most best for the full 90 against City

• Like 2

Martinez

Cash.     Konsa.   Torres.   Moreno 

Bailey.   McGinn.   Luiz.    Ramsey.

Diaby.     

Watkins. 

Big reaction required, get it done early.

Think about resting some players around 60 mins. 

Worry about West Ham after.

4-1 

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Martinez

Cash.     Konsa.   Torres.   Moreno 

Bailey.   McGinn.   Luiz.    Ramsey.

Diaby.     

Watkins. 

Big reaction required, get it done early.

Think about resting some players around 60 mins. 

Worry about West Ham after.

4-1 

Is Konsa suspended? 

• Like 1

After the disappointment of today you'd couldn't pick a better game to help quickly get over it. Under the lights at a rocking VP in our biggest European game in 15 years hopefully has the players chomping at the bit.

I'd imagine we'll definitely revert back to a back 4 and unlike today, where the plan seemed to be keep it tight then make positive changes, we'll start with a much more attacking line up.

Back line of Cash, Carlos, Torres and Moreno.

Dougie and McGinn in the middle with Bailey and Ramsey (if fit if not Rogers) wide midfield and Watkins and Diaby up top. Look to get the game won by the hour mark and then utilise Tim, Duran, Digne, Lenglet etc and keep plenty in the bank for Sunday.

I can't wait. Should be a special night. 

Edited by markavfc40

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Back line of Cash, Carlos, Torres and Moreno.

Dougie and McGinn in the middle with Bailey and Ramsey (if fit if not Rogers) wide midfield and Watkins and Diaby up top. Look to get the game won by the hour mark and then utilise Tim, Duran, Digne, Lenglet etc and keep plenty in the bank for Sunday.

I definitely wouldn't risk Torres for this one - there's no way he'll through three nineties in a week and we really should be beating these without him.  Luiz needs a rest and would benefit too.

I think we drop as many as we comfortably can for what ought to be a fairly straightforward game on Thursday and save the rest for West Ham, that's a much tougher challenge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I definitely wouldn't risk Torres for this one - there's no way he'll through three nineties in a week and we really should be beating these without him.  Luiz needs a rest and would benefit too.

I think we drop as many as we comfortably can for what ought to be a fairly straightforward game on Thursday and save the rest for West Ham, that's a much tougher challenge.

Possibly Lenglet may start for Torres although I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Torres starts and plays 45 mins or a hour.

As for Luiz I know some feel he needs a rest but much like Watkins I think he is probably up there with the fittest players we have and is a bit of a machine so I expect he'll start.

I get that we may have one eye on West Ham next Sunday but I expect we'll start strong, get the game won, then make 3 or 4 changes at the 60-70 min mark. Another factor is that West Ham have a tough game on Thursday (tougher than us) so they will have to go strong so they'll be in the same boat as us when we play.

Edited by markavfc40

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can't see us resting Luiz, he's just too vital to our tempo.

He is but I honestly don't think we have much choice he looked absolutely knackered today and we simply can't afford to lose to him an injury. Imagine going into West Ham with Tim and Tielemans as our CM combo.

Leave him on the bench and if we need to bring him on for 30 mins then that should be okay. Hopefully he's not needed at all.

Given our faltering league form, these Euro games are now doubly important to us as qualifying for Champions League via 5th place in the Premier League will be dependant on how far each of the British clubs progress in their respective Euro competitions. We are currently 3rd behind Italy and France and need to be in the top two to get the extra CL place so success for ALL our teams in Europe is crucial for Villa ..... remember that next time a British team is in action. Going to need to cheer for some teams I've never cheered for before !!!

My best guess...

Start: Martinez; Cash Carlos Lenglet Moreno; McGinn Tielemans; Diaby Rogers; Zaniolo Duran.

Bench: Olsen Gauci Pau Kesler-Hayden Digne Iroegbunam Luiz Bailey Kellyman Watkins.

Luiz and Watkins could barely move by the end on Sunday. Bailey also looks very tired. Iroegbunam isn't fit enough for 2 starts in 4 days, so he'll be saved for West Ham with McGinn in for Ajax.