Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Zaniolo, Luiz, McGinn and Bailey with Tielemans dropping in from the second striker spot. 

Unai has outthought himself in a few matches this year trying to keep certain players on pitch instead of just living with the results

Zaniolo starting his first prem game for about four months would've been a huge call. He was lively when he came on but it's completely different dynamic to actually starting a match.

If Rogers had been here since the summer he'd have started I think but still getting up to speed with the training and tactics.

Only big surprise to me was Moreno not starting in a back 5. Digne is more suited to a back 4 and was clearly told to stay back. Would've been interesting Moreno in that system, when he came on it was a back 4 and down to 10 men so little chance to get forward.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Zaniolo starting his first prem game for about four months would've been a huge call. He was lively when he came on but it's completely different dynamic to actually starting a match.

If Rogers had been here since the summer he'd have started I think but still getting up to speed with the training and tactics.

Maybe so but just as big of a call to go with a system we have not played all season in a crucial match. 

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Back 4 - probably Konsa and then moreno due to less attacking RB

tielemans mcginn Luiz Bailey 

watkins diaby

although he’s been poor it balances out the team better imo 

Cool. So in your example Konsa theoretically could've passed to Moreno, Pau, Cash, Tielemans, McGinn, Douglas and Bailey (7).

During our actual game, based on the formation you're using as a stick to beat Emery with, Konsa had Digne, Pau, Lenglet, Cash, Tielemans, McGinn, Bailey and Douglas (8) to pass to. Even if you remove Tielemans, who I'm including because he was the one who actually 'received' the ball, it's still even. Could you please explain to my monkey brain how your formation prevents that second goal?

Edited by AV82

Just now, DJBOB said:

Maybe so but just as big of a call to go with a system we have not played all season in a crucial match. 

According to the world feed we played it at Brentford away.

I can understand why it did and ultimately it was 0-0 at half time so the platform was still there to win the game but a shocking 20 minutes ended all that.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think that's a tad unfair on Zanilolo, although I agree in regards to Diaby.

If our starting 11 had shown the fiery spirit that Zani showed when coming on, it may well have been a different outcome. The effort to make something happen is sometimes what gives a team the catalyst it desires. 

It's not about coming on and just running around a lot though is it?  We may have well have kept Trezeguet if we are to be satisfied with that.  We need players coming on who can add some quality as well as up the energy levels.   At the moment nether Diaby or Zaniolo bring much to the table in terms of effective contributions or end product.  As for your Konsa comment, he played a poor ball out of defence to McGinn first half which we were lucky to get away with, as well the one second half which led to the goal.   Defended ok but his playing out was ropey today,

10 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Today showed we probably don't quite have the strength in depth or the mentality for CL football yet but we shouldn't be giving up on it, especially as we can strengthen in the summer knowing we'll have some extra revenue.  It's going to be harder after this season if the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea, and Man Yew get their acts together.        

I don’t think we’ll have another chance like this for a long time. We need to cling onto 5th and do well in the conference cup.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

According to the world feed we played it at Brentford away.

I can understand why it did and ultimately it was 0-0 at half time so the platform was still there to win the game but a shocking 20 minutes ended all that.

I think that when you set the team out to play a 532 and play scared and defend deep to try and get one on the counter, it permeates through the whole team. They played with little confidence and it showed even in the final third when they really didn’t know where each other would be. 

All of the training and automations went out the window. Why would Watkins look for Tielemans on the left when he’s to his right 95% of the time. Bailey played exclusively on the wing and now he’s a central striker. Cash and Digne as attacking wingbacks? Makes little sense. 

The player threads are a car crash. 

It's like the world is ending. 

We were due a battering. It's happened, we immediately bounced back from the Newcastle 5-1. Lets do the same again. 

• Like 1

We have been out scoring teams all year, taking it to the big boys.

Then in the last two games we set up and played equal opposition like we were petrified and would be lucky to escape with a draw. What happened?

31 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I was happy to see Pau on the ball in midfield, I thought it was a great idea. That, and our 'formation' is not the reason we lost today.

It was the formation, and the performance within it.

My concern is Unai thinks the legs have gone and that's why he played that way.

You don't go at City only to stand off Spurs.

Concerning.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Concerning.

I still think people aren't taking into account the absence of Kamara. He's crucial to being able to take the game to the better teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

It's not about coming on and just running around a lot though is it?  We may have well have kept Trezeguet if we are to be satisfied with that.  We need players coming on who can add some quality as well as up the energy levels.   At the moment nether Diaby or Zaniolo bring much to the table in terms of effective contributions or end product.  As for your Konsa comment, he played a poor ball out of defence to McGinn first half which we were lucky to get away with, as well the one second half which led to the goal.   Defended ok but his playing out was ropey today,

But he didn't just run about, he ran with purpose and tried to make things happen, which is a hell of a lot more than Diaby done, that's for sure. 

If Konsa hadn't contributed to us conceding that second goal, I would have given him motm, at moments, his defensive awareness was on point. 

There wasn't a player on the pitch who didn't play a misplaced pass, Zani gets credit for effort, which is more than most others gave, and there are no excuses for lack of effort, not in my book anyway. As for Konsa, he at least done some things that were pleasent to the eye, to those of us who are not optically challenged that is.

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Concerning.

I don't see how either playing Cash in midfield (who has more legs than any other player in the squad) or having Pau push up into midfield to supplement our attack with his passing range means we're playing this naive, 'pls don't lose' way. I just don't see it. That's even before we talk about who we'd have played in midfield instead. How we were set up and how we were playing was working just fine until a freak cross and a mistake by Konsa.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

I don't see how either playing Cash in midfield (who has more legs than any other player in the squad) or having Pau push up into midfield to supplement our attack with his passing range means we're playing this naive, 'pls don't lose' way. I just don't see it. That's even before we talk about who we'd have played in midfield instead. How we were set up and how we were playing was working just fine until a freak cross and a mistake by Konsa.

I don’t see how anyone would take away anything from the first half except, “Just got by.”

I’ve seen this team under Unai completely outplay champions league and title winners. We were absent two players (Kamara and Diego Carlos) from the team that faced City and Arsenal yet set the team up like wee were Sheffield playing the invincibles. It was completely mind boggling. 

Just now, DJBOB said:

I don’t see how anyone would take away anything from the first half except, “Just got by.”

I’ve seen this team under Unai completely outplay champions league and title winners. We were absent two players (Kamara and Diego Carlos) from the team that faced City and Arsenal yet set the team up like wee were Sheffield playing the invincibles. It was completely mind boggling. 

Title winners who played a midfield of Stones and Akanji. And Kamara is a monumental loss.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Title winners who played a midfield of Stones and Akanji. And Kamara is a monumental loss.

He’s a loss but not so much of a loss that we play a completely different system and look inept while doing so.