Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Playing for the best team in the world should be an explanation why one player has better stats than another who doesn't play for that team, not vice versa.

If he's playing a "support player" in the best team in the world next to a guy who is building a resume to be the greatest striker of all time, why aren't his assist numbers higher?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Eze is good but Olise is their best player IMO, would love him here, but it would be more than we could afford. 

Olise is a good stats man with a great left foot. But when he has played against us and specifically against JJ he has bottled it every time. He has won duel after duel against him. Couldnt get away from him once..

Also who would he replace ?  McGinn Diaby and Bailey ?  Would he get on freekicks and corners ahead of Dougie ? 

I would imagine this summer will be relatively quiet tbf. We don't need any big signings and really should be focused on the cohesion of the squad we have already (plus integrating the new players in). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I would imagine this summer will be relatively quiet tbf. We don't need any big signings and really should be focused on the cohesion of the squad we have already (plus integrating the new players in). 

I agree mate

In a perfect world maybe another rightback , a new left back to get Digne off the wage bill and a central midfielder to rotate with Dougie and Kamara  but other than that we are looking really good for next season alread

If we can shift Sanson Chambers Donk Digne and Olsen thats upwards of £17 mill off the wage bill while the players we bought in Jan i guess command £5mill a year max in wages. 

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Alvarez has started 25 of 27 Premier League games this season. 8 goals and 8 assists. 2138 mins played.

Ollie, started 27 of 27 this season. 16 goals and 10 assists. 2388 mins played.

Per 90 min stats...

Alvarez;

0.34 goals per 90

0.34 assists per 90

Ollie;

0.6 goals per 90

0.38 assists per 90

There is a reason why most Villa fans value Ollie so highly. This isn't a slight against Alvarez as he's a great player too.

Alvarez is playing mostly as a 10 though, except when Haaland was injured, can't really compare him to Watkins.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

We need a holding midfielder as Kamara is injured and we need a right back because Cash isn't at the level we require. So we do need two big signings.

Centre back and left back are nice to haves if we shift Carlos + one of our senior left backs but not essential I guess. But I would definitely say DM and RB are necessary signings we have to make. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

We need a holding midfielder as Kamara is injured and we need a right back because Cash isn't at the level we require. So we do need two big signings.

Centre back and left back are nice to haves if we shift Carlos + one of our senior left backs but not essential I guess. But I would definitely say DM and RB are necessary signings we have to make

These would be my priority as well this summer, providing no first team players like Martinez or Watkins leave.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Centre back and left back are nice to haves if we shift Carlos + one of our senior left backs but not essential I guess. But I would definitely say DM and RB are necessary signings we have to make. 

If development goes well, I imagine that'll be Tim and Nedeljkovic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree mate

In a perfect world maybe another rightback , a new left back to get Digne off the wage bill and a central midfielder to rotate with Dougie and Kamara  but other than that we are looking really good for next season alread

If we can shift Sanson Chambers Donk Digne and Olsen thats upwards of £17 mill off the wage bill while the players we bought in Jan i guess command £5mill a year max in wages. 

I think we might see Nedeljkovic sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

Think we're in trouble if we go down that road so I hope it doesn't happen.

Personally don't think Tim will ever make it here if we want to be a truly top PL team season in season out, and Kosta might but he certainly needs a few years of development first and playing in the cups/Europe and improving his physicality before he's ready for PL football every week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think we should be relaying on two players with very little first team experience going into our first Champions League campaign.  We will need a step up in quality in the overall squad depth.

36 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think we should be relaying on two players with very little first team experience going into our first Champions League campaign.  We will need a step up in quality in the overall squad depth.

Nedeljkovic would probably have more Champions League experience than 90% of the squad 😉 

I could see us looking to sell Tim like we did with the other youngsters.  Might get £10m for him?  Then sign a more experienced central midfielder on a Bosman.  Does Tim actually count as homegrown in Europe?

With us scouting Porto on a number of occasions I wonder if we’re looking at Otavio as a LCB option or Nico Gonzales as a CM/DM option, or both. 

Edited by burchy

Posted (edited)

Ironic that rumour mill has Jaden Philogene attracting the interest of ... Ajax 😁 ... and apparently worried we'll buy him back! He's my favourite recent player we had to sell. I was so impressed by him. But I imagine we can't really afford to bring him back.

According to Tom Collomosse, Ajax are one of several sides monitoring the progress of Jaden Philogene, who has spent this season impressing in the Championship with Hull City. Recent reports have linked Steven Bergwijn with a move away from the Johan Cruyff Arena this summer, which could free up a slot on the wing for a tricky talent like Jaden Philogene.

The 22-year-old kicked off his career at Aston Villa, where he went on to feature just six times for the first team before being sent out on loan twice. Philogene’s first loan spell was with Stoke City, during the 21/22 campaign, but after playing just 537 minutes of football, the youngster returned to Villa Park with one goal to his name. A move to Cardiff City followed, where we first started to see glimpses of his talent.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 07/03/2024 at 14:03, duke313 said:

Would be better to get our younger players into a European campaign tbh. We’re not going to win the Champions League if we qualify - make the most of bedding everyone in.

• Haha 1

On 06/03/2024 at 22:12, paul514 said:

Simple if he was playing first team he would be banging them in. There is a reason he is valued so highly 

On 07/03/2024 at 02:34, paul514 said:

He is playing as a support player ...... I have the ability to see stats too.

To be fair, you seem to be struggling to notice Alvarez' PL appearances stat. He's started nearly every game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, you seem to be struggling to notice Alvarez' PL appearances stat. He's started nearly every game. 

as a 10

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Would be better to get our younger players into a European campaign tbh. We’re not going to win the Champions League if we qualify - make the most of bedding everyone in.

God no! If we get into the Champions League then we try our best even if it’s just to get the extra revenue for wins and next rounds.  Plus can you imagine our current top first team players reaction if we try that approach, they would be wanting to leave.  This plus the reaction from the fans of not trying, the fans still talk about MON not focusing on Europe decades later, imagine doing that in the CL.  I’m sorry but this a bad take all around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

God no! If we get into the Champions League then we try our best even if it’s just to get the extra revenue for wins and next rounds.  Plus can you imagine our current top first team players reaction if we try that approach, they would be wanting to leave.  This plus the reaction from the fans of not trying, the fans still talk about MON not focusing on Europe decades later, imagine doing that in the CL.  I’m sorry but this a bad take all around.

Honest... I'd just want us to have some fun... I'd want some big nights, I definitely don't agree with any notion of "easy" games just to get a big knock out game, not too worried about killing ourselves in that competition or getting out of the group

I think we've used the squad pretty well in the UCL and the thing with the players is you can say play the youngsters or back ups and bed them in but in reality the majority of our first choicers have no CL experience, the likes of Ollie, Luiz and mcginn all need it too and then it's the whole reward thing, ollie has the season of his life gets us CL we play real Madrid away first game and we start Duran? I don't like that personally 

• Like 1

Â