Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We are apparently due to reveal one of the biggest losses in history in our accounts in the next week or two. 

Are we? Are you talking about that tweet in FFP thread that says record loss figure already released after profit the previous season? Don't think the loss even breaches the 3 year limit clubs judged on recently

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are we? Are you talking about that tweet in FFP thread that says record loss figure already released after profit the previous season? Don't think the loss even breaches the 3 year limit clubs judged on recently

I don't pretend to be an expert on PSR calculations but the UEFA document claims we have made 'one of the 50 largest historic club losses'. 

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The cash's maybe, not the Luiz's

You last sentence is rubbish. You build on what you've got!

Liverpool will likely cash in on Salah this summer, I’m not saying sell Luiz just it’s highly likely we will need to. Selling Cash isn’t going to generate the funds needed to invest.

My last sentence makes perfect sense you don’t progress by keeping the same players unless we sell players/add players we stagnate or go backwards.

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't pretend to be an expert on PSR calculations but the UEFA document claims we have made 'one of the 50 largest historic club losses'. 

That's what I'm referencing too. It says Villa reported a loss in 2023. Not Villa are about to report a loss in 2024

For me it's who is the big sale. Selling a player and replacing them is needed to help the FFP position even if we qualify for CL that won't help this seasons accounts. 

We need to keep the downward pressure on the wage bill. So need to move on, Digne, Chambers, Dendonker, Sanson, Hause & Olsen we need another loan deal for Coutinho and then the end of Lenglet and Zaniolo loans. We sell KKH and possibly Iroegbunam with the buy backs

If this clause rumoured about Archer is true that if they are relegated we buy him back on a lower fee (I would assume as he signed for £18m on a 4 year deal his buy back would be at his remaining book value of £13.5m) this would be a good idea. That's a cheap price for a player with a full season of PL experience, he's not done bad with 0.25 goals per 90 in a terrible team. So if he ends season with 7 or 8 goals from the team ending rock bottom that's good and he does have searing pace. This would free up Duran to be loaned out (or sold for the right price). 

I also think bringing Philogene back is a no brainer decision. He was sold for £5m with a buy back clause so I expect the clause to be £12-15m max. At that price it's a no brainer decision. 

This then leave us with Kamara competition and LCB/LB player - I think we are going all out for Mario Hermoso on a free. He's perfect fit for replacing Lenglet. 

If we do more than this it'll be a player like Cash sold and replaced, or Luiz sold and replaced etc..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Liverpool will likely cash in on Salah this summer, I’m not saying sell Luiz just it’s highly likely we will need to. Selling Cash isn’t going to generate the funds needed to invest.

My last sentence makes perfect sense you don’t progress by keeping the same players unless we sell players/add players we stagnate or go backwards.

Liverpool will not Cash in on Salah, It'll be Salahs decision. 

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's what I'm referencing too. It says Villa reported a loss in 2023. Not Villa are about to report a loss in 2024

It's the accounts for 2023, which haven't been released publicly yet, but will be released in the next week or two (seemingly). I don't understand what you're arguing about really. I understand 2024's accounts won't be ready until next year, I didn't say otherwise. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Players we could still and make decent profit on, starting from the back:

• Martinez
  • Konsa
  • Kamara
  • Luiz
  • McGinn
  • Ramsey
  • Watkins

Bailey, Diaby, and Pau have high residual values so sellling them would give much more limited scope for profit, although if Bailey maintains this form and stays fit he could be worth so much to make his residual value irrelevant.

Cash, Carlos, and Digne won't fetch us much.

Of the list, the one I'd be most comfortable selling is Kamara. Based solely on his injury record. However, for the same reason, I suspect we won't be selling him this window as he'll still be injured.  Can also rule our Mings and Buendia for sales this summer.

The players listed are all key to how we play, and I'd be loathe to lose any of them, but Emi, Luiz, and Watkins are the most irreplaceable for me.

So I'd be considering offers for McGinn and Konsa if we're looking to make profit and not being sentimental. McGinn's value will rapidly start to plummet at his age, but I guess ideally we'd try to keep him for another year. Konsa is the most saleable asset of the defence, and although he's fulfilling his potential now, I think we could replace him. I'd keep Ramsey to help us have a bigger squad for the champions league.

There says we can make this summer that will be sad, but I'll be able to see the positive side to with the right mindset.  Martinez, Luiz or Watkins goes and I'm struggling. 

Of that list, the most logical sense is Ramsey, followed by Luiz. Ramsey is a great age with a good amount of experience, is English so will help a CL side with their home-grown quota, and is excellent at progressing the ball upfield. However, he's not *essential* to the way we play in the way many of those others are. It also seems like Rogers is to some extent a ready-made replacement (obviously not as good yet, but he has many of the same strengths and has often played in basically the same position as Ramsey for Boro). 

Luiz is more crucial to the way we play, and we would definitely miss him, but a sale would still leave us with Kamara, McGinn and Tielemans in the centre of midfield. Yes they play slightly different roles but we could potentially organise around it and I think we could potentially get a replacement who does most of what Luiz does to a slightly worse standard for a lower fee, but with improvement upside. 

Most of the others would be bad ideas. Martinez is essentially irreplaceable, as is Watkins. Kamara is the only senior player for his exact position, and is crucial in games against the top sides. Konsa is far and away our best right-sided CB and Carlos has looked average as a replacement. He's also a leader, as is McGinn, who will also be 30 early next season. Because of his age, I don't think anyone would offer us as much as McGinn is worth to us, if that makes sense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we do more than this it'll be a player like Cash sold and replaced, or Luiz sold and replaced etc..

I think Cash will go, the Serbian lad will be his likely replacement. That will probably be enough to tide us over (depending on sale price obviously). 

The big question is the Kamara/Luiz cover. Hopefully we find a gem on a free

Edited by PeterSw

4 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

I think Cash will go, the Serbian lad will be his likely replacement. That will probably be enough to tide us over (depending on sale price obviously). 

The big question is the Kamara/Luiz cover. Hopefully we find a gem on a free

I don't see selling Cash as particularly likely. It's hard to see who would be interested in paying us a large fee for him, and selling him would continue the situation where we have only one senior RB, only this time it's a guy who's 19/20 and has never played a minute in English football. I think if it does happen we'll end up using a loan on a guy who can play both RB and RCB. 

8 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Salah is 32 in June. Still a great player but Liverpool already have younger players like Diaz, Jota, Nunez and Gakpo and will obviously add one or two more with the Salah money. Liverpool probably selling Salah at the right time if they can get big money for him. It's not the same as us selling Luiz, who is 25 and still has his best years ahead of him. We should be tying him down to a new contract not selling him.

I wouldn't want to sell any key player, but especially Luiz. If it had to be anyone I'd probably go either Ramsey, Kamara or Konsa IF we replaced them with a quality player in their position, but ideally we don't sell any key player and only move on the likes of Coutinho, Sanson, Donk, Chambers, Olsen etc + maybe Cash and Digne if a good offer comes in.

Someone said Rogers is potentially Ramsey's replacement despite being nowhere near as good, if this is the route we're going down then we're in trouble. If we're selling players like that on they have to be replaced with the proven top quality players. 

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't see selling Cash as particularly likely. It's hard to see who would be interested in paying us a large fee for him, and selling him would continue the situation where we have only one senior RB, only this time it's a guy who's 19/20 and has never played a minute in English football. I think if it does happen we'll end up using a loan on a guy who can play both RB and RCB.

I think we will see a lot more of Konsa at RB next season if/when Mings is back.

Konsa/Mings/Torres/Moreno would possibly be the first choice defence.

Nedeljković, Carlos, Hermoso (who I agree I think we will sign.. pretty much a left sided version of Konsa) and Sousa would be the 'back ups'

• Like 2

Rogers won't be considered club trained for us like Ramsey is, so we'd lose a player from our European squad if we sell Ramsey. 

The only way we don't is by buying someone else that was at our club for three years before the age of 21.  Grealish, for example, would be probably the only player that would new an option for that.

For this reason, I don't think we'll sell Ramsey. It makes our squad too light for European football.

Agree that he might be the easiest to replace as he hasn't quite hit the heights of corn that he had prior to injury.

Going to be an interesting summer if we get CL football. And probably an uncomfortable one if we don't.

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Of that list, the most logical sense is Ramsey, followed by Luiz. Ramsey is a great age with a good amount of experience, is English so will help a CL side with their home-grown quota, and is excellent at progressing the ball upfield. However, he's not *essential* to the way we play in the way many of those others are. It also seems like Rogers is to some extent a ready-made replacement (obviously not as good yet, but he has many of the same strengths and has often played in basically the same position as Ramsey for Boro). 

Luiz is more crucial to the way we play, and we would definitely miss him, but a sale would still leave us with Kamara, McGinn and Tielemans in the centre of midfield. Yes they play slightly different roles but we could potentially organise around it and I think we could potentially get a replacement who does most of what Luiz does to a slightly worse standard for a lower fee, but with improvement upside. 

Most of the others would be bad ideas. Martinez is essentially irreplaceable, as is Watkins. Kamara is the only senior player for his exact position, and is crucial in games against the top sides. Konsa is far and away our best right-sided CB and Carlos has looked average as a replacement. He's also a leader, as is McGinn, who will also be 30 early next season. Because of his age, I don't think anyone would offer us as much as McGinn is worth to us, if that makes sense. 

I think the point is if we sell any of these players we have to replace them. We ain't selling Ramsey to not replace, or replace with a £10m punt from the Championship. If we do this we will go backwards. Unless we put his money towards going big on another position (e.g. right back) but then that leaves us with less quality in the forward positions.

I just hate worrying about the finances of this football club all the time, it's tiring. Had the same under MON and the same thing happening again. We drastically need new revenue streams to boost our income because we can't keep competing if our revenue isn't going to go much above £200m each year. Maybe it's time some fans accepted that we might have to move out of Villa Park. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The always reliable (😉) Football Insider has linked us to an Israeli 19 year old Oscar Gloukh from RB Salzburg

There was a link to him November-ish last year too 

Decent link I think, would also be happy that we're scouting salzburg 

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

While barca make record profit... 

Me thinks theres a fair bit of manipulation and game playing going on 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think Cash would actually be quite attractive to other PL teams and maybe even teams in Germany.  He's 26 and played for several seasons in the PL now and his book value for us must be quite small.  I think about £20m or so could be made off him anyway.  

I do worry that it may be Martinez we have to sell if we don't get in the Champions League.  He's at that age where he must be thinking it's now or never to play in the CL.  Anyway it's ridiculous we have to talk about sales so much when in reality we are in no actual danger financially with our owners.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

For me it's who is the big sale. Selling a player and replacing them is needed to help the FFP position even if we qualify for CL that won't help this seasons accounts. 

We need to keep the downward pressure on the wage bill. So need to move on, Digne, Chambers, Dendonker, Sanson, Hause & Olsen we need another loan deal for Coutinho and then the end of Lenglet and Zaniolo loans. We sell KKH and possibly Iroegbunam with the buy backs

If this clause rumoured about Archer is true that if they are relegated we buy him back on a lower fee (I would assume as he signed for £18m on a 4 year deal his buy back would be at his remaining book value of £13.5m) this would be a good idea. That's a cheap price for a player with a full season of PL experience, he's not done bad with 0.25 goals per 90 in a terrible team. So if he ends season with 7 or 8 goals from the team ending rock bottom that's good and he does have searing pace. This would free up Duran to be loaned out (or sold for the right price). 

I also think bringing Philogene back is a no brainer decision. He was sold for £5m with a buy back clause so I expect the clause to be £12-15m max. At that price it's a no brainer decision. 

This then leave us with Kamara competition and LCB/LB player - I think we are going all out for Mario Hermoso on a free. He's perfect fit for replacing Lenglet. 

i did this before, its probably wrong in some way, but helps visualise the salary savings we could achieve.

Just by offloading these, thats at least 840k per week.....per week!, or nearly 44m per year, unreal tbh.

image.png.6dc5145f7dd3c0f2d730d508a874f05b.png

obviously, we would need to then sign some players, but 3 players on 100k p/w, and another 2 on 50k p/w, is still only 400k p/w, so an overall saving of over 400k p/w.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â