Eurovision 2024

Jareth

On 11/02/2024 at 10:46, tonyh29 said:

All these posts on Eurovision and no mention of potential Totty , I am disappointed 

Compared to say the Eurovision thread from 2005.

Outward shows of perviness are (perhaps rightly) discouraged these days.  I don't believe people have become any less pervy though.  We're all just repressed perverts nowadays.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Compared to say the Eurovision thread from 2005.

Outward shows of perviness are (perhaps rightly) discouraged these days.  I don't believe people have become any less pervy though.  We're all just repressed perverts nowadays.

We’ve evolved.

The brain is now capable of saying “the stitching on that costume must have taken hours”, whilst thinking ‘look at the tits on that’.

• Haha 4

On 28/01/2024 at 16:26, bickster said:

There’s no rule about that though is there? Plenty of already established artists have done it in the past, some multiple times. Johnny Logan even won it twice. ABBA had hits across Europe before 1974. Katrina and the Waves, Lulu, Sandie Shaw all British winners and all established artists before Eurovision

(Look away now, Bicks). You have to remember that in the 60s We Had The Beatles. At any point between 1963 and 1969 we could have put them into Eurovision (if they'd agreed to it, which is admittedly doubtful) and won by an embarrassingly huge margin every time. Of course we didn't, but it's like we had the nuclear option, and magnanimously chose not to use it. 

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if we'd entered (say) Oasis in the 90s? 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if we'd entered (say) Oasis in the 90s? 

Maybe Brexit wouldn't have happened. They'd have kicked us out beforehand.

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

(Look away now, Bicks). You have to remember that in the 60s We Had The Beatles. At any point between 1963 and 1969 we could have put them into Eurovision (if they'd agreed to it, which is admittedly doubtful) and won by an embarrassingly huge margin every time. Of course we didn't, but it's like we had the nuclear option, and magnanimously chose not to use it. 

I'm not sure. Even if the committee (or sometimes the public via vote) responsible for choosing the act chose a massively popular one, would they do it? I don't think so. They'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Why expose yourself to potential humiliation when you already have adoring fans across the globe? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogso said:

I'm not sure. Even if the committee (or sometimes the public via vote) responsible for choosing the act chose a massively popular one, would they do it? I don't think so. They'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Why expose yourself to potential humiliation when you already have adoring fans across the globe? 

Oh, absolutely, they never would have done it. But the point stands that during the 60s, Britain ruled the pop world absolutely, and there always that smug feeling that the rest of Europe knew that they were merely fighting over who would be a distant second. We probably could have entered better acts than Cliff, Lulu and Cilla, but we didn't really bother - and even they still scored highly. That had all changed by the time ABBA came along, and is definitely not true now - although the whole pop music scene is different anyway, and Eurovision has long since become a genre unto itself. 

Have listened to the song a few times, it's not our best. But our guy is literally the best showman, we have a chance. Israel is in the qualifiers, best of luck.

As always these days the Swedish (and a lot of others) entry is a partial rip off of some previous hit.

Sweden this time represented by some Norwegian former kids stars.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

As always these days the Swedish (and a lot of others) entry is a partial rip off of some previous hit.

Feels very brave to call your song Unforgettable and write something so forgettable. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Christ on a bike, the nonsense they won with last year was enough of a disgrace (Finland were absolutely robbed), have they no shame?

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Christ on a bike, the nonsense they won with last year was enough of a disgrace (Finland were absolutely robbed), have they no shame?

I've not watched this stuff since the mid 80's but in Sweden it's pretty much a small group of people who write almost all the entries to the Swedish qualifiers. 25 songs or so ( we have 4 or 5 or 6 qualifying competitions and then a final) a year and it's 5 people behind at least half of them. It's big business in Sweden and they have a monopoly thanks to friendship corruption. Same with the artists, it's 20 names that are in it at least every other year and then some famous people that are in it for the publicity and media clicks they generate. You know before the competition starts who is going to qualify for the final without hearing the songs. Same with who is going to qualify. It's always someone who have a large fan base and is popular with kids and the song always sounds like a dumbed down version of a previous hit. Always.

Should add the clip above is the only thing I've heard from this years competition and I've not even heard last years song I think.

1 hour ago, sne said:

I've not watched this stuff since the mid 80's but in Sweden it's pretty much a small group of people who write almost all the entries to the Swedish qualifiers. 25 songs or so ( we have 4 or 5 or 6 qualifying competitions and then a final) a year and it's 5 people behind at least half of them. It's big business in Sweden and they have a monopoly thanks to friendship corruption. Same with the artists, it's 20 names that are in it at least every other year and then some famous people that are in it for the publicity and media clicks they generate. You know before the competition starts who is going to qualify for the final without hearing the songs. Same with who is going to qualify. It's always someone who have a large fan base and is popular with kids and the song always sounds like a dumbed down version of a previous hit. Always.

On the other hand, they're the most successful country in it of the last twenty years, and are rarely outside the top three or four.

So until that changes, maybe all of that isn't actually a problem.

7 hours ago, ml1dch said:

On the other hand, they're the most successful country in it of the last twenty years, and are rarely outside the top three or four.

So until that changes, maybe all of that isn't actually a problem.

From a result standpoint sure From a state television exposure and tax payer money allocation standpoint it's a bit more iffy.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 10:52, mjmooney said:

Oh, absolutely, they never would have done it. But the point stands that during the 60s, Britain ruled the pop world absolutely, and there always that smug feeling that the rest of Europe knew that they were merely fighting over who would be a distant second. We probably could have entered better acts than Cliff, Lulu and Cilla, but we didn't really bother - and even they still scored highly. That had all changed by the time ABBA came along, and is definitely not true now - although the whole pop music scene is different anyway, and Eurovision has long since become a genre unto itself. 

We could still do it now, The Pet Shop Boys would walk it every year and we'd end up having to host it in the Outer Hebrides eventually.

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

We could still do it now, The Pet Shop Boys would walk it every year and we'd end up having to host it in the Outer Hebrides eventually.

Probably true, yes. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've got Norway in the work tournament, and tbh after listening to it I don't know how it can't possibly not win? What a proggy banger of a tune this is. Or is it just me? Metal-folk-rock-electronica? A proper antidote to the Swedish pop-BS.

The six bottles of red will be mine, I swear.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

There's a campaign by queer artists to force olly alexander to drop out - cos Israel - personally I don't agree with that at all, we all know how eurovision works and if people disagree with a country they get nil points. Gotta say though they've hardly played the Uk entry on the radio, compared to last year, are we worried it's a bit shit? 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

There's a campaign by queer artists to force olly alexander to drop out - cos Israel - personally I don't agree with that at all, we all know how eurovision works and if people disagree with a country they get nil points. Gotta say though they've hardly played the Uk entry on the radio, compared to last year, are we worried it's a bit shit? 

It’s a lot shit.

Â