Hákon Rafn Valdimarsson

Pongo Waring

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

Pretty sure Brentford are going to sell Raya and don't exactly trust Flekken to be their starting goalkeeper. Valdimarsson probably sees a chance to become their number one here.

You are spot on there Raya won’t be coming back sadly for me,Flekken has been a poor signing and was lucky Saturday when he was flat footed again when 2 shots just went  just past the post with him well beaten.As good as your first goal was he never even dived for it even though the shot was outside the pen area.He will be number 1 keeper by the end of this season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

You are spot on there Raya won’t be coming back sadly for me,Flekken has been a poor signing and was lucky Saturday when he was flat footed again when 2 shots just went  just past the post with him well beaten.As good as your first goal was he never even dived for it even though the shot was outside the pen area.He will be number 1 keeper by the end of this season.

In a similar vain in how odd it was we were interested it's odd you are too. His highlighted flaws are his ability with his feet which are critical to your style given why you signed Raya and later Flekken. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

He won’t be the number 1 for Brentford you know. And they have a younger first choice goalkeeper than us. 

So by my reckoning we were never seriously in for him.

There’s probably more chance of him being no. 1 at Brentford than here. I think Emi has another 4-5 years at the top so very few young keepers will fancy their chances in deposing him.

But as you say, it’s a moot point if we were never in for him

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

In a similar vain in how odd it was we were interested it's odd you are too. His highlighted flaws are his ability with his feet which are critical to your style given why you signed Raya and later Flekken. 

Yes saw that about his ability with his feet maybe the reported fee of  3 mill reflects he has to improve and maybe we will not play out from the back so much which suits me as don’t think we are that brilliant at that.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Marschall and Sinisalo aren't ahead of this player, that doesn't make sense, if they were we wouldn't be interested in him, because we don't need another player of that level, in addition to Marscahll and Sinisalo we also have James Wright, who is probably just as highly rated as Marscahll, and also Zych who is Poland U20 international and sometimes captain, and Sam Proctor who is one of the most highly rated academy goalkeepers in the country, hence why he's already trusted as our U21 goalkeeper despite only having just turned seventeen.

This goalkeeper would have been signed to come straight into the first team squad

Why not Sinisalo? Both have featured for their respective national teams, with Finland a higher-ranked country than Iceland. Plus The Swedish league isn't up to much tbh. 

2 hours ago, Strog said:

Or maybe the prospect of sitting behind Emi for a few years was not particularly appealing. 

Always a factor. You want to believe you have a path to winning the first team place. He'll get that chace at Brentford who have no established top level No1. He can improve and win the jersey.

• Like 2

The issue right here for buying younger goalies when you have the current best goalie on the planet .Their development is hindered. And on the other hand its really hard to find good experienced keepers that are happy to play second fiddle as we have seen wirh our no 1 swedish keeper considered to be not good enough to fill in for Emi. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Always a factor. You want to believe you have a path to winning the first team place. He'll get that chace at Brentford who have no established top level No1. He can improve and win the jersey.

This is it and I think it shows exactly the right attitude from the lad, to be honest. It's beyond fanciful to think he'll get in ahead of one of the top 5 (just for argument's sake) goalkeepers in the world.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Why not Sinisalo? Both have featured for their respective national teams, with Finland a higher-ranked country than Iceland. Plus The Swedish league isn't up to much tbh. 

Probably because our incredibly experienced manager, director of football and scouts rate the Icelandic goalkeeper higher than Sinisalo? 

Just now, Chicken Field said:

Probably because our incredibly experienced manager, director of football and scouts rate the Icelandic goalkeeper higher than Sinisalo? 

And you know this how?

If we wanted this player, it's really quite logical that it's because we rate him higher than Sinisalo, we weren't interested in signing him as another academy keeper we already have plenty of those, he was being considered, if he was being considered at all, as our No.2 for next season. I suspect if he had have signed, or if we sign an equivalent, then it would mean Sinisalo being sold, possibly with a buyback.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, useless said:

If we wanted this player, it's really quite logical that it's because we rate him higher than Sinisalo, we weren't interested in signing him as another academy keeper we already have plenty of those, he was being considered, if he was being considered at all, as our No.2 for next season. I suspect if he had have signed, or if we sign an equivalent, then it would mean Sinisalo being sold, possibly with a buyback.

This is clearly correct.

I do wonder what the goalkeeping plan is - we've got a lot of "prospect" keepers, plus the interest here. The assumption would be that Valdimarsson would have been #2 with Olsen leaving either this window or next.

But that then leaves the exact same amount of keepers ahead of Zych, Sinisalo, Marshall, Proctor and Wright and I cant imagine any of the 5 of them want to play the Scott Carson role at their age.

Martinez should have 4 or 5 seasons left at the top, but even then those kids will be at an age where they want to be playing. If we keep loaning them out then they wont qualify for club trained status either...

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's a sign we're doing the right thing if Brentford are buying our targets.

Good stuff.

Have they actually recruited that well since being promoted though? Their recruitment was better in the Championship. Albeit I like Hickey.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

This is it and I think it shows exactly the right attitude from the lad, to be honest. It's beyond fanciful to think he'll get in ahead of one of the top 5 (just for argument's sake) goalkeepers in the world.

I’m not sure Emi could be regarded as top five, there’s plenty of evidence he’s in the top 1 though! 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Because we already have Sinisalo, but we don't have this guy, so logically it makes sense that we'd be buying this guy because we think he's better. 

It was never plausible that we were spending £3m on a U23 goalkeeper, nor that a full international (before purchase, ie not like Sinisalo) with two full seasons of top-flight football would be interested in coming on those terms. He'd have been our number 2, or our number 3 with a view to replacing Olsen as number 2 ASAP. 

11 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Have they actually recruited that well since being promoted though? Their recruitment was better in the Championship. Albeit I like Hickey.

I think so. Not every club has owners like us. They've been pretty nifty without the ability to go big too often.

The one shaky one at the moment would be Collins, but he's only 22 still. That's incredibly young for a PL centre half.

Schade would have been a big hit this season if he hadn't got injured. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

OK, fair enough.

I was thinking perhaps that the idea is to sell Sinisalo if the demand is high enough and buy this guy (both around the same fee, but the FFP book value would see it as a profit) - but that's a bit more contrived. 

Â