FA Cup 4th Round

Kingman

I just found out that apparently penalties will be from the 5th round onwards this season. So although really we need to win at Stamford Bridge to avoid a replay with such a demanding fixture list for 2023/24, if we don't manage to but draw at least we'll have the advantage of a home crowd in the follow-up game

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Teams we've been drawn against since our previous win in the FA Cup since 2016:

2016: Man City

2017: Spurs

2018: Peterborough

2019: Swansea

2020: Fulham

2021: Liverpool

2022: Man United

2023: Stevenage

2024: Middlesbrough, Chelsea

Obviously there are some "easy" fixtures there but being drawn against 5 of the traditional "top 6" in that space of time is ridiculous, and all those fixtures barring Liverpool (where we had to play our kids) were away as well.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

I remember around 2008 the carling cup game there where we lost 4 nil. The first time i had ever seen dry white wine for sale in an away end. Was the Randy Lerner loadsa free coaches game. Wish we were at home but it is what it is and we have a decent chance of winning. Especially if we have all of our midfield fit and available.

53 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I remember around 2008 the carling cup game there where we lost 4 nil. The first time i had ever seen dry white wine for sale in an away end. Was the Randy Lerner loadsa free coaches game. Wish we were at home but it is what it is and we have a decent chance of winning. Especially if we have all of our midfield fit and available.

They had white wine on sale at Middlesbrough! I grabbed one as there was 15 mins before kick off and wanted to get to the stand quickly plus It gave me a nice buzz after having a few pints beforehand. Great value too. Hadn’t seen that for sale at other grounds before either!

On 06/01/2024 at 15:52, Zatman said:

Stevenage are gone so I dont fear anybody else

I loved that Stevenage song performance in Spinal Tap 😆 

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Exactly. If we want to win the competition then we will have to play and beat someone better then Chelsea at some point. 

Also, glass half full, if we lose it a) won't be particularly embarrassing this year, and b ) of course gives us more time to focus on league and conference league. 

Not that I want to lose, to be clear. I think we're slight favourites to win this. 

• Like 2

Good opportunity to get out of the competition. We need to continue to use players like Lenglet, Dendoncker etc.. for this game. We can't be mixing PL matches being postponed and trying to fit them on with ECL

I'd rather win the ECL than the FA Cup as it's more money, UEFA ranking points and improves our club profile internationally. Additionally it's great experience for the team to compete and be successful in Europe.

Worst case scenario is this Chelsea game goes to a replay. Nightmare situation. 

Just one of those where both teams and sets of fans will be gutted. You just don't want to draw a big team at this point.

There's no easy games obviously as any minnow could have the games of their lives to cause an upset, or Stevenage 12 months ago where they didn't even have to try that hard. 

The problem for a club in our position now is that there's no particularly hard games either, other than City and Liverpool. You go into every other tie thinking we can get through. And every round after that where you don't get city and Liverpool you think it could be your year as you edge closer to Wembley. 

Chelsea away feels like we're out the cup but I'll also be disappointed to lose to them and I can't get my head around it.

Things you dont want at 4th round stage:

Premier League side 

Away tie

Sky 6 club

A huge game against a rival for European football 3 days later.

Tick after tick after tick.

Meanwhile, Man United get the Dog and Duck and a bye to round 5.

I don't see how this is anything BUT a bad draw. Not saying we will lose it, but another away game? We got knocked out of a  cup at Chelsea only recently, and Man United twice for that matter.

With the amount of other sides we COULD have drawn, as well as a home game that we COULD have had, this is not a good draw.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Loads of lower leagues playing each other so if we beat Chelsea maybe we’ll get an easier tie next round

In a weird way I think playing Chelsea is better than playing a team that will park the bus as thats what we are struggling against

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Newcastle have Fulham away on the 27th, a long journey for them and then us away on the 30th another long journey for them. We can beat Chelsea and Newcastle, chill, the cups ours this year. 😁

Firstly, its about an hour from Newcastle to London. Not remotely a long journey.

Secondly, I am chilled, but are you suggesting that the things I listed are incorrect? That the ideal draw out of all the options available is an away game at a sky 6 side? Really?

Again, I'm not saying we will lose, but it's a shit draw for us given who else we could have got. (Yes Im aware we list to Stevenage but the point stands)

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Firstly, its about an hour from Newcastle to London. Not remotely a long journey.

how fast do you drive?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Secondly, I am chilled, but are you suggesting that the things I listed are incorrect? That the ideal draw out of all the options available is an away game at a sky 6 side? Really?

Again, I'm not saying we will lose, but it's a shit draw for us given who else we could have got. (Yes Im aware we list to Stevenage but the point stands)

Not sure why you have quoted me, I wasn't answering you just the thread in general,  Newcastle and Chelsea have to play a team that's in the top 2 and in great form, let them worry about us is my way of thinking about it, yours is different and I respect that. 

Positives of the draw is that it's a good game for a couple of the back ups who end up playing, we know we'd have to be switched on to play well, might be good for performance momentum? But if we do lose, no-one's going to say oh what a disaster. We've got a full 2 weeks off after the everton game,  so at worst the cup match gives us some competitive minutes before the Newcastle game. 

I hasten to add, i would have preferred Maidstone at home, but just focusing on the postive ways of approaching the tie

• Like 1