VillaTalk Deadpool 2024

Xela

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nah, I’d put him third behind Gareth Edwards and Phil Bennett

You could probably put David Duckham into the mix for England

I've heard of Edwards , but not the other 2  .. maybe its cause of the JPR  name that makes him more memorable for non rugby fans like myself 

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Best game of rugby from the amateur era in my opinion and it was a friendly between a touring side and an invitational 15 played as a wind down match at the end of the All Blacks tour. Absolutely nothing at stake except pride

Was that amateur team called 'North Midlands or something like that ? Did't Sam doble play ; but my knowledge of Rugby is very limited.

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was that amateur team called 'North Midlands or something like that ? Did't Sam doble play ; but my knowledge of Rugby is very limited.

No, it was the Barbarians. North Midlands would have been a County Championship team, Sam Doble would have played for them and they would usually play at The Reddings (Moseley's old ground) who were also Doble's team, In fact I think the North Midlands team was usually primarily Moseley players. Moseley was a comparatively successful and large Rugby Club at the time, an absolute travesty of management that they ended up as lowly as they are today.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I've heard of Edwards , but not the other 2  .. maybe its cause of the JPR  name that makes him more memorable for non rugby fans like myself 

He was plain John when he first played for Wales, he only became known as JPR later on because Wales also had another John Williams in the team a few years later, so they became JPR and JJ respectively. IIRC correctly from that Baa Baas game, the commentators just called him Williams

Actor Adan Canto, who was known for US TV shows like Designated Survivor and films including X-Men: Days of Future Past, has died at the age of 42.

The Mexican star had suffered from appendiceal cancer, his publicist said

_132266345_gettyimages-492292581.jpg.web

bbc

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Annie Nightingale, pioneering female radio DJ gone at 83

Christ, I had no idea she was that old. Doesn't seem like 5 minutes since Janice Long passed yet that was 2021. Times a flying. 

• Sad 1

Just now, bickster said:

She was old in the 80s when we put her on at the Uni :D 

Well that's what I'm getting at. She's older than my mum. I can't believe when I was listening to this cool as **** woman on the radio in the 80s she was older than my mum! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Christ, I had no idea she was that old. Doesn't seem like 5 minutes since Janice Long passed yet that was 2021. Times a flying. 

Same. But now I think about it I’d just assumed she was in her fifties for about 30 years.  She was kinda timeless because she always moved with the times. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 13:27, bickster said:

Nah, I’d put him third behind Gareth Edwards and Phil Bennett

You could probably put David Duckham into the mix for England

Barry John as well?

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Barry John as well?

I kind of had him as just below the other two just because he retired in 1972 and was on the balance of probability a better player than Bennett (just) but Bennet played at the top longer and was there for the really golden period of Welsh Rugby in the 70s

• Like 1

Â