Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

Well that was something

VAR and refs were clearly doing everything to make sure we couldn't win, any or all of the (i think) 4 var reviews for penalties i  have seen given in other matches. The disallowed goal is just nonsense, how long needs to pass before its another phase of play?

Even so, we didn't play well at all today against a team that came out to just not lose. We really lack that player who can unlock a low block defence. 

I'm normally a Cash supporter but so many attacks came to nothing when he had the ball today amd as has been said elsewhere, I don't think Cash, Bailey and Diaby can all be on the right at the same time as they all want to drift wide and cut inside.

A really poor showing, but big picture we will be at worst 3 points off the top come Xmas, which I think is more than any of is realistically expected at the start of the season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have we ever had 78% before ?

Please lets not do possession stats after a disappointing result. Before you know it there will be a Barry Bannan heat map and then I'll curled up into a ball with PTSD 

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Haha 1

If you can’t win it, don’t lose it, we did that. It does feel like a huge missed opportunity and punch in the gut though. I kind of think that we should have treated it like a normal game, the whole lights show thing and expectation could have weighed on the players a bit. We need to act like we belong at this end of the table and just treat each game as a normal premier league game 

• Like 1

We don’t quite have the depth needed to snatch a win from these types of games I don’t think. Look at Liverpool’s bench and their midfield options are a cut above what we can throw onto the pitch. Top 4 will be an amazing achievement and I believe we can do that, but I’ve seen too many points dropped from winnable games to call us title contenders 

• Like 1

We could have won that 3 or 4 nil tonight.

Combinations of us being poor, us being unlucky, and missing key players meant that we didn't quite have enough to win it.

Remember all, we are joint top of the Premier league, lost once since September etc. 

Lots to be proud about. 

• Like 1

Okay, I'm not going to harp on the egregious and infuriating VAR calls and Taylor. 

I'm not going to harp on the substandard team play considering the monumental opportunity to ascend to the top of the league and possibly stay there for a while.

I'd rather try to focus on the positives, which are many. We showed determination and character to score the equalizer. It was a dazzling looking goal by Zaniolo. And if anyone was to score against Villa this year, I'm glad it was Archer. I'm happy for him.

We are still in an incredible position entering the new year/transfer window. But with the injuries and suspensions, we aren't as good, obviously.  We badly missed YT tonight. We needed him to thread the needle. We could've even used Phil Coutinho tonight, honestly. The owners might understand that we need a couple of impact signings to help us win silverware this spring. The game will provide Emery with more information to act on, and that's bad for the rest of the division. We need to figure out how to play against piss poor sides that turtle it like Sheffield Utd did. 

I hope the players take some lessons from this game and use them for Man Utd and beyond. The games are not going to get easier, in fact, just the opposite.

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

There will be an enormous amount of bed shitting now on here, but I think we’ve always struggled more in these sorts of games than we do against teams that try to play a bit of football in our half.

We are missing some creative talent in the final third to break down a parked bus. Our attacking players are all a bit samey - quick, athletic, direct. Think we need a more technical option in there.

VAR was a bit frustrating, I thought the Ramsey thing was six of one, half a dozen of the other, and they should have just gone with the ref’s decision.

Mostly though, our plan didn’t work. We clearly had a lot of planned moves involving a central hall over the top, but Foderingham anticipated all of them. I don’t know if that was bad execution or a flawed plan, or Shef Utd working it out beforehand. Whatever, it didn’t work.

Frustrating evening.

Spot on

We missed buendia tonight IMO

Quite a few injuries/suspensions tonight, so fair enough.

About 14-15 months ago, their goal would have killed us off. Showed grit to make sure we continued our home undefeated streak. Annoying, but look at where we are! 

• Like 3

So glad we didn't lose as would have been a win for anti football.

The ref missed the foul on the keeper as it was a bit of pulling and pushing by their defender and JJ, once he's let play go which he did Utd got to the edge of their area

And had a two on one but we cut the pass out. Two passes later we score the goal and VAR get busy. If the ref was any good ( which he isn't) he would tell VAR to butt out.

But because he's shit he plods over to the screen and we all know what's coming next...

The question is what came first VAR or shit refs?. 

Onto the game we struggle against the men behind the ball teams and needed an early goal which never came. Missed Pau big time but cut in and got the point.

Let's hope we play better against the other Utd next game but don't expect the ref or VAR to raise their game!.

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

If you can’t win it, don’t lose it, we did that. It does feel like a huge missed opportunity and punch in the gut though. I kind of think that we should have treated it like a normal game, the whole lights show thing and expectation could have weighed on the players a bit. We need to act like we belong at this end of the table and just treat each game as a normal premier league game 

To be fair, it’s the media and fans who hyped us up all week more than ever before. I think Emery was desperate for it to be treated as a normal game. Even so, I don’t think the result would have been different, Wilder knew his game plan and they executed it well. 

I had to work and haven't seen the match yet, but I will say this...why do I think we're still in the mix at least for CL, maybe even for the title?

Today...Zaniolo goal in stoppage time to salvage a draw.

A week ago...Watkins 85th minute goal to win against Brentford.

A few weeks ago...Watkins 90th minute goal to salvage a draw against Bournemouth.

November...Watkins 80th minute goal to beat AZ.

October...McGinn stoppage time goal to beat Zrinjski.

That's called character. That's 5 PL points and 4 Conference points that will mean something at the end of the season because we played to the end. That's what the great Ferguson Man U sides used to do.

• Like 1