Inform, Educate, Entertain What has the BBC ever done for us?

Seat68

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a very good argument for a stripped back service of BBC 1, News and 5 Live paid for by a much much smaller fee.

For example, I grew up watching MOTD, but in 2023 when the goals are on Twitter/X at 5:15 on a Saturday from Sky Sports why are the BBC paying the PL a fortune for highlight rights?

The BBC as it functions has had it's day and it's to move on.

1 minute ago, Avfc96 said:

I think there is a very good argument for a stripped back service of BBC 1, News and 5 Live paid for by a much much smaller fee.

For example, I grew up watching MOTD, but in 2023 when the goals are on Twitter/X at 5:15 on a Saturday from Sky Sports why are the BBC paying the PL a fortune for highlight rights?

The goals seems very specific. Let's say twitter closes down or I do not have an account on twitter where can I see these goals from a legitimate public source. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The goals seems very specific. Let's say twitter closes down or I do not have an account on twitter where can I see these goals from a legitimate public source. 

There's a reason as to why ITV/ Channel 4 or 5 didn't bid for the rights and it's because it's not commercially viable. 

1 minute ago, Avfc96 said:

There's a reason as to why ITV/ Channel 4 or 5 didn't bid for the rights and it's because it's not commercially viable. 

I don't really have an interest in seeing goals but MOTD serves a purpose, some people don't want Sky or can't afford it. It's also a tiny part of the BBCs entire offering. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I don't really have an interest in seeing goals but MOTD serves a purpose, some people don't want Sky or can't afford it. It's also a tiny part of the BBCs entire offering. 

From my point of view MOTD served a purpose, but in 2023 that purpose has gone. They certainly shouldn't be spending hundreds of millions on the rights to show highlights a large portion of their target audience have seen on Twitter/X five hours earlier.

44 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Sky stick highlights  up on on their website for free hours before Motd, even for the 15:00 kickoffs they don't broadcast.

Unfortunately it's just a few minutes of football highlights per game without the legendary bants of Gaz and Alan, but it does the job for me.

Edited by Davkaus

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sky stick highlights  up on on their website for free hours before Motd, even for the 15:00 kickoffs they don't broadcast.

Unfortunately it's just a few minutes of football highlights per game without the legendary bants of Gaz and Alan, but it does the job for me.

But where would you get punditry from ex-pros that don't understand that "he got the ball" has no bearing on whether something is a foul..

3 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Sorry, why should I be paying for the awful repetitive bloke shite of 5 Live and missing out on the history and music documentaries on BBC 4?

Why would I pay for The One Show, and lose Sorry I Haven’t A Clue?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Yet more I just want to pay for the bits I use nonsense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

They're on YouTube as well, on the Sky Sports Premier League page. 

I use the BBC for dramas, the ocassional comedy series radio 5 and MOTD (purely for extended highlights and 'analysis') I don't watch the news for a variety of reasons. My wife had radio 1 on in the car and it only serves to remind me how crap most of today's music is and that I'm an old man. I don't begrudge paying the license fee as I'm used to it I guess, I do feel that it should be free for over 65's/ retired because tv is probably relied on more as you get older and is, in some ways, a companion. 

Why don’t you hear people say for example, there’s an argument to say I shouldn’t have to pay full price for Spotify because I don’t listen to the podcasts or I only want to pay for Netflix original content and not the other stuff, or even reduce my price because I don't watch the documentaries, or hell even SKY TV and only add the individual channels you want at a price per channel? 

I'd gladly drop a few quid to get rid of the podcasts on Spotify for example. But no-one ever brings that up as an argument, they just pay the fee?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The more sport on free to air TV the better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Why don’t you hear people say for example, there’s an argument to say I shouldn’t have to pay full price for Spotify because I don’t listen to the podcasts or I only want to pay for Netflix original content and not the other stuff, or even reduce my price because I don't watch the documentaries, or hell even SKY TV and only add the individual channels you want at a price per channel? 

I'd gladly drop a few quid to get rid of the podcasts on Spotify for example. But no-one ever brings that up as an argument, they just pay the fee?

Because you’re not forced to buy Spotify first before you can listen to any music. 

A compulsory license fee is having others subsidise your own fee whether they want it or not. 

• Like 1

Â