Multiple Clubs Ownership

sne

I get the benefits but I'm very much against it, even when it's us that are potentially benefiting from it. Man C are the obvious big baddies here (as in most things) with their City group but there are many others.

• Red Bull has their model with clubs in  Germany, Austria, the US, Brazil and so on.
  • Saudi Arabia has Newcastle and the 4 clubs in their league.
  • Bill Foley's Bournemouth are paired with Lorient in France.
  • John Textor of Crystal Palace has ownership in Lyon, Belgian RWD Molenbeek and Brazilian Botafogo
  • Giampaolo Pozzo has Watford & Udinese
  • Pacific Media Group has GKS Tychy , Barnsley , KV Oostende, Den Bosch, Nancy, Esbjerg and part ownership in Kaiserslauten.
  • Chelsea & Strasbourg + whatever link there is between Boehly and the Saudis
  • American 777 Partners owns Genoa, Standard Liege, Vasco da Gama, French Red Star FC, has stakes in Hertha Berlin and Sevilla and is trying to buy Everton

And there are tons of other examples including us.

Since this is a topic discussed in multiple topics I thought we might start one for it. Thoughts?

It should be banned and I am very disappointed we are involved in it. Football clubs lived for hundreds of years for the fans without these shit takeovers

* Now awaiting people telling me this is the way football is and support a different sport if you dont want to embrace this great change*

• Like 4

Girona and Man City. I think the rules are that you cannot have controlling interest in 2 clubs playing in the Champs League. So Girona are top of La Liga. If hypothetically they won it and Man City won it who gets into the Champs League.  The issue i have with this is the same as F1. When you get team orders not to overtake your fellow teammate. I am sure Girona would be under pressure to not win to ensure Citeh get the slot.  I think that ownership in different continents would be fine

But ownership of teams that can face each other in Euro competition should not be allowed ? 

On 26/11/2023 at 13:02, MWARLEY2 said:

Girona and Man City. I think the rules are that you cannot have controlling interest in 2 clubs playing in the Champs League. So Girona are top of La Liga. If hypothetically they won it and Man City won it who gets into the Champs League. 

Man City Group will sell Girona to the Abu Dhabi cousin who is not related in any way to the main Abu Dhabi state who own Man City Group.  

Same with Saudi and as they expand their portfolio - there is always a cousin or other royal to take completely independant ownership.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Man City Group will sell Girona to the Abu Dhabi cousin who is not related in any way to the main Abu Dhabi state who own Man City Group.  

Same with Saudi and as they expand their portfolio - there is always a cousin or other royal to take completely independant ownership.

Except Saudi don't own the clubs.

They've got a bit of paper that they made that explains it.

• 1 month later...

This would be rather tragic if it happened.

With Boca included, the five clubs that Chelsea wants to buy according to Javier Milei

The President of the Nation explained why he believes that sports corporations are a "necessity and urgency" and revealed the five teams that would have aroused interest in the Premier League giant.

In dialogue with Radio Miter , the president assured that the "need and urgency" for the SAD to be part of Argentine football is due to the potential resources they could generate .  There are Arab groups waiting to invest 3 billion dollars. What is interesting? That investments come in very quickly . It is a very easy business, you don't have to sink huge machinery or wait two years as if you were setting up a factory ,” he said.

At the same time, he insisted on the great interest on the part of Chelsea to get involved in five very important clubs . “There is the expressed will to want to buy Boca, Racing, Estudiantes, Newell's or Lanús. It's fast money. If the members of those clubs do not want to, they will continue with the current scheme , ” he said. At the moment, no one from the English club has spoken publicly about it, but rather the rumors arose from statements by YouTuber Felix Johnson.

"I'm a Boca fan and if investment groups come and put a fortune in Boca and that makes Boca always win and River can't win a single game, the question is, where do I sign?" suggested Milei, the first defender of an idea that the five aforementioned institutions firmly opposed with statements , before and after the last National Elections.

This same issue had generated days ago a crossover between Patricia Bullrich and Néstor Grindetti, the president of Independiente , former candidate for governor of the Province of Buenos Aires for Together for Change on the list headed by the Minister of Security, who did not reach the runoff and then allied with Milei.

"I'm quite sad, Chelsea said it wanted to buy six clubs and unfortunately Independiente didn't put it in place ," said Bullrich, a member of Rojo, to which Grindetti responded: "What I want is for us to buy Chelsea. If a club wants to be public limited company that is,  Independiente is prohibited by statute, it will never be a SAD ."

https://www.tycsports.com/liga-profesional-de-futbol/con-boca-incluido-los-clubes-argentinos-que-quiere-comprar-chelsea-segun-milei-id556807.html

On 29/11/2023 at 11:48, Villan_of_oz said:

I hate the entire modernisation of football to be honest...

Modernisation here is just another word for hypercapitalisation. Football, like other money generating industries, is dying at the hands of profit. Same as films, gaming, music, by-and-large the internet as a whole. Enshitification.

Edit: I realize this comment is old, but eh wanted to have a quick rant lol.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's a sad statement though isn't it, they want to buy an argie club and couldn't give 2 shits which one it is 

It is.

I imagine V Sports will be similar, but they've tried to create something with the whole "having a V in the name" (the only outliers in their (currently small) portfolio are clubs owned by related parties (Sawiris' brother, Emery himself)), like Manchester City started to do with the "City" bit.  They've since grouped in a load of clubs that don't fit this criteria and I imagine that, eventually, our owners will not give a shit about the "V" thing if it means they can have a "strategic partnership" with a club in a favourable country.

Hopefully not, though.  The "V" thing is at least ~brand, a little bit.

3 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

Could V Sports be interested in one of the three SPFL clubs that are being eyed up?

Any idea which three clubs are thought to be being ‘eyed’? Don’t Hearts play in claret & blue? 😉

7 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Any idea which three clubs are thought to be being ‘eyed’? Don’t Hearts play in claret & blue? 😉

According to the article, Dundee are being eyed up by Burnley's owners, but it doesn't mention the other two.

Isn't there a story that we got our colours from Hearts and Rangers? If so, it must be written in the stars!

40 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

According to the article, Dundee are being eyed up by Burnley's owners, but it doesn't mention the other two.

Isn't there a story that we got our colours from Hearts and Rangers? If so, it must be written in the stars!

Burnley would be better off concentrating on not getting relegated.

1 hour ago, gaz90 said:

I was sure it was the tiling in the Bartons Arms

6 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

I was sure it was the tiling in the Bartons Arms

I thought we started wearing C&B before the Bartons Arms had opened? Not entirely sure, but I swear I've seen our kits in C&B from the 19th century and I didn't think it opened until the 20th.

Â