General football related musings

Xela

On 20/11/2023 at 13:18, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s a funny one, the FA cup final. A large part of my own negative feeling towards it is that these days it’s always the same handful of teams who reach the final. Oh it’s Arsenal v Chelsea again, how interesting.

But it’s kinda always been the case. 

Since 2000 there’s been 48 finalists. 

Chelsea are top with 11 appearances. 

Then Arsenal (8), Man Utd (6), Man City (4) and Liverpool (4). 

So 5 clubs have occupied 33 finalist spots. The other 15 spots are shared by 13 clubs.

But, looking at FA cup finals from 1975 to 1999 -

Man Utd lead with 10 finals, then Liverpool (6), Arsenal (5), Everton (5) and Spurs (4). 

So over this period of time, 5 clubs make up 30 of the finalists spots. Basically as dominant as the following quarter of a century. For completion the 18 final spots were shared by 15 clubs.

I think really what it is, is the sense that the usual clubs competing in the final would rather be doing something else. It’s a consolation prize to them now and it wasn’t in 1976. At least it doesn’t appear to have been.

Didn’t they used to do a song each year?  Or was that just a one-off?

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yeah I think so.

Man Utd definitely had more than one song in relatively quick succession. I remember “Come on you reds” for the ‘94 final and I think another was called “move move move” for the final a couple of years later.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Best part of the FA Cup song was the awkwardness of the players in the videos

except the Palace lads who were really into it 

Defenders constantly raising their hands appealing for offsides when a goal goes in. All the goals are reviewed FFS!

Also, can someone contact the Serious Fraud Office. How Brighton got £60m+ for Cucurella is criminal. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure I can name a recent defacto goal of the season. 

Frankly I may have to go back to Di Canio’s volley for West Ham, I remember that being deemed goal of the season. Pretty confident on that one :D And that’s partly because Scholes scored a similar one on the same day(?) and it sparked a bit of a debate.

I’m sure I’d recognise a fair few of them since then, but I can’t say “Oh the 2019 goal of the season? It was that Salah goal v Fulham that won it.” Or whatever it was.

I've just seen on social media that a Man U fan has come out and apologised for singing the 'feed the scousers' song at Everton on Sunday.

It's a bit odd as surely all songs are offensive if aimed towards the opposition. Not sure who is offended by that. 

I went to see Horsham away to Sutton today in the FA Cup, after we got reinstated as Barnsley had an illegible player in the last round.  We must be the first team ever to lose 3-0 twice in the same FA Cup.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Â