General football related musings

Xela

A thread for things that don't warrant their own thread. 

- What is with players and that stupid celebration most do, when they they do a jump slide on their knees. I always wince, as my knees constantly ache! 

- I can't be the only one who hates South American commentators reactions when they announce a goal - "Gooooooooaaaaaaaaallllll" **** off pal. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

A thread for things that don't warrant their own thread. 

- What is with players and that stupid celebration most do, when they they do a jump slide on their knees. I always wince, as my knees constantly ache! 

- I can't be the only one who hates South American commentators reactions when they announce a goal - "Gooooooooaaaaaaaaallllll" **** off pal. 

Agree on the knee slide would never risk it myself.  The South American commentators are great though love their over the top musings.

On celebrations though the darts throw by Maddison really annoys me! clearing in the woods

Those tnucs on talksport who try and create arguments by saying one club is bigger than the other. For the record. I am a fanatic. Manure Arsenal and Liverpool are the only ones bigger. 

And these knobheads who want to still have their big six so that their program plans are easier. So call them the traditional big 6 or the big 6 plus Newcastle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Agree on the knee slide would never risk it myself.  The South American commentators are great though love their over the top musings.

On celebrations though the darts throw by Maddison really annoys me! clearing in the woods

Yep saw a thing once about how it's terrible for your knees. Solsjaer's career was ruined by it he said he felt his ligament go when he was doing it

30 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yep saw a thing once about how it's terrible for your knees. Solsjaer's career was ruined by it he said he felt his ligament go when he was doing it

Not the same sport or circumstances but look up Simon Jones Ashes knee injury,  done whilst sliding to save a boundary. 

I think of that every time I see a footballer knee slide. Idiots

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If it wasn’t for Villa, I’d have given up years ago. Everything is Villa centric, I can’t tell you who won the Premier league in our three championship years. I can have a good guess, but I’m not certain.

Yep, count me in with the 'no interest if it doesn't involve Villa' brigade. 

I have very little knowledge of, or interest in, other teams. 

Very much related to that... fantasy football (or whatever it's called these days). I have a mate who's always banging on about who he's got in his team, who he made captain, etc. He devotes hours to it every week, and keeps trying to get me to join. I've told him umpteen times I wouldn't know where to begin, and I'd rather watch paint dry. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Very much related to that... fantasy football (or whatever it's called these days). I have a mate who's always banging on about who he's got in his team, who he made captain, etc. He devotes hours to it every week, and keeps trying to get me to join. I've told him umpteen times I wouldn't know where to begin, and I'd rather watch paint dry. 

I used to do a dream team in various forms. The ones at work used to be fun, it added a little edge to the office dynamic.

I have done the big premier league one that seemingly everyone does but stopped because 

1 I’m not very good at it.

2 I like pun team names and I became frustrated that the character limit prevented me from calling my team “In Every Dream Team a Hartache”. The world’s loss.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I like pun team names and I became frustrated that the character limit prevented me from calling my team “In Every Dream Team a Hartache”.

Nothing will ever top 'Spurting Lesbian'. 

• Haha 4

More just a trip down memory lane, but…football clubs reaching the FA cup final, of course that means we have to release a song and take on the top 40.

It’s just, that was the done thing. Until it very much wasn’t. It seems weird that was just part of it.

Looking at Wikipedia, the most notable recent song is (apparently) Leeds United reached number ten in 2010 with a new version of “Leeds Leeds Leeds”. Seemingly released following promotion from League One. 

Since then, in October 2020, Everton rereleased their 1984 cup final song “Spirit of the Blues” seemingly off the back of winning their opening four games of the season. They then won one of their following seven.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I couldn't name 3 players from the Luton Town squad today. 

Although, I could probably name their starting line up from 1988/89 season. 

• Like 1

Â