High Line ..Pros and Cons

MWARLEY2

165 times and we are in 4th. There is the conclusive proof that it is worth it . Everyone tries to exploit it. But it has only been properly exploited 3 times this season. Warsaw Newcastle Liverpool. 

When we are beaten by it due to this body position we hold we can get back in to defend.  Be interesting to see how much less we have to run a game due to this.  I think it is also used by Emery to stop play for a bit and save legs. 

58 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

165 times and we are in 4th. There is the conclusive proof that it is worth it . Everyone tries to exploit it. But it has only been properly exploited 3 times this season. Warsaw Newcastle Liverpool. 

When we are beaten by it due to this body position we hold we can get back in to defend.  Be interesting to see how much less we have to run a game due to this.  I think it is also used by Emery to stop play for a bit and save legs. 

I was just thinking, this probably wouldn't necessarily work against the likes of City who can also play through and around you?

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was just thinking, this probably wouldn't necessarily work against the likes of City who can also play through and around you?

It shouldnt work. But sitting back and defending our box has never ever worked against Pep. We have a point against him dont we ?   

• Like 1

Just now, meregreen said:

I think Unai is savvy enough to use it when he thinks it will be effective, and tweak it when he thinks it might not be. I expect it to be possibly changed against Man City. In Unai we trust 🤞

Yeah prob need to change it.

Haaland is really good at timing his runs.

17 hours ago, duke313 said:

Or teams would just defend even deeper, meaning less goals 😂

It would kill our little offside glitch though. Like when Football manager releases an update to fix an exploit 😂

Yeah this is where I'm at. Except for the best teams, the rest would exclusively be in a low block every game. It would send the PL back to the 00s with everyone playing 4-5-1 and parking the bus for a 1-0. Just install the semi automated offsides and be done with it. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I dont think its easy to swap and change.  We will play the highline against Man City just as as we did against Liverpool. we might loose but we will create  opportunities

I think so too. We might get battered 6-0 but it's important we trust the system and make subtle tweaks here and there.

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I dont think its easy to swap and change.  We will play the highline against Man City just as as we did against Liverpool. we might loose but we will create  opportunities

I think our high line really only comes when we have a lot of possession in the opposition final third. Its very likely that City will take most of the ball and will build up slowly. As a result i dont think our high line will come into play as much. The likes of Doku will run at us, not really look for the ball over the top. We didnt really play that high a line against Spurs, a few times but also a lot of offsides i think came close to goal to be honest.

I agree with your sentiment though, dont try and change what we do, its been successful but just accept that others may eventually pick us off.

7 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think our high line really only comes when we have a lot of possession in the opposition final third. Its very likely that City will take most of the ball and will build up slowly. As a result i dont think our high line will come into play as much. The likes of Doku will run at us, not really look for the ball over the top. We didnt really play that high a line against Spurs, a few times but also a lot of offsides i think came close to goal to be honest.

I agree with your sentiment though, dont try and change what we do, its been successful but just accept that others may eventually pick us off.

How many times will he be offside 🤣

I see probably a high midblock line against City to prevent getting pinned back in our final third.

Rodri in particular is great at those sweeping diagonal balls to either Grealish/Doku from wide or Foden/Walker wide right.

I already predict the "naive" and "too open" reactions from the usual crowd. Unai will make his adjustments, but he will ask us to be ambitious and not just set up to absorb the pressure and counter.

46 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Well if hes got the ball, not at all. Im expecting him to pick it up with men in front of him and take them on. Not getting balls over the top to chase.

Probably right. Cash going to be in for a horrible time.

9 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I see probably a high midblock line against City to prevent getting pinned back in our final third.

Rodri in particular is great at those sweeping diagonal balls to either Grealish/Doku from wide or Foden/Walker wide right.

I already predict the "naive" and "too open" reactions from the usual crowd. Unai will make his adjustments, but he will ask us to be ambitious and not just set up to absorb the pressure and counter.

I wonder can Haaland beat the 3 offside goals Son had 🤣

Â