Aston Villa Support Census

Rugeley Villa

Rug'es Poll  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you travel to matches from?

• Birmingham
    • West Midlands conurbation area 
    • Other parts of midlands 
    • UK
    • Places that speak funny

This poll is closed to new votes

Born in the States (Indiana).  Still live in the States (Washington DC area).  Played footy all my life into college and was always a student/history type kid.  In middle school, around 7th/8th grade (1987ish) read about Aston Villa and their history, league creator, founder, etc- really drew me in.  Thought they had a cool name, colors, etc.  Started using them in my video games, watching Villa on TV when they were on.  Other high school footy friends were typical ManU, Liverpool, etc.  But I liked Villa.  I was the only one.  Fast forward 35 years...  I've been lucky enough to see them play twice in person when they have come to the States during preseason.  Going to Villa Park one day is near the top of my bucket list.

I only have 2 sport passions in my life.  Watching Aston Villa and my alma mater (Purdue).  They keep me engaged year round!  UTV

• Like 3

Grew up in Solihull (surrounded by noses).  Season ticket holder from 1972 to 1991 when I moved to the states.  Have lived in Rhode Island, New York, Arizona and now Florida.  Get to an average of one match a year at Villa Park, plus have been to every state-side match since we started coming over (New York to play Fiorentina).  

Favourite trip was a road trip to Montreal then Columbus, Ohio about 15 years ago.  Got to meet most of the squad at a reception in Columbus.

All family still in UK.  Mom & Dad still living in the house I grew up in.  Mom was born in Nechells - her family weren't really into football.  Dad was born in Yardley, and his Dad was hardcore Villa.  My grandad never talked about blues as a rival - it was Wolves and West Brom in his mind as blues were never at the same level... :) 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 12:32, HanoiVillan said:

Probably don't want any noses seeing these results tbf :crylaugh:

shiresmate.png

Very little chance of that. I doubt reading and percentages, comes easy to the average knuckle-dragger. :D

• Haha 2

I was brought up in Bridge Road, Alum Rock about 2.5 miles from Villa Park. Lived in Brum till I was 30, now in Bournemouth. Had STs in every stand but now have two in the Trinity. Try to make all the home games but sadly don’t go away anymore.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

Born in Hampshire, lived in Cambridge since I was about 10. Both parents are Brummies, so I see myself as an honourary Brummie. 

Quite shocked by just how many of us don’t live in Birmingham. They might be right about us…😬

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 11:54, ejs1111 said:

Born in the States (Indiana).  Still live in the States (Washington DC area).  Played footy all my life into college and was always a student/history type kid.  In middle school, around 7th/8th grade (1987ish) read about Aston Villa and their history, league creator, founder, etc- really drew me in.  Thought they had a cool name, colors, etc.  Started using them in my video games, watching Villa on TV when they were on.  Other high school footy friends were typical ManU, Liverpool, etc.  But I liked Villa.  I was the only one.  Fast forward 35 years...  I've been lucky enough to see them play twice in person when they have come to the States during preseason.  Going to Villa Park one day is near the top of my bucket list.

I only have 2 sport passions in my life.  Watching Aston Villa and my alma mater (Purdue).  They keep me engaged year round!  UTV

Purdue? Woof, you had a better Saturday than I did last weekend.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dubliner said:

Come over for around 3 games a season from Dublin.

Would love to do more but life gets in the way.

There's a pretty big contingent of Villa fans this side of the water.

I got talking to an Irishman the other night who I found out was a Villa fan. Originally from Cork but settled over here now and he said the same there’s a fair few Villa fans over there. He started supporting Villa because if the Irish contingent we had in our team in the 90s

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I got talking to an Irishman the other night who I found out was a Villa fan. Originally from Cork but settled over here now and he said the same there’s a fair few Villa fans over there. He started supporting Villa because if the Irish contingent we had in our team in the 90s

Exact same reason as me and quite a lot of the other Irish fans I know.

What a Villa side that was! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Born in Hampshire, lived in Cambridge since I was about 10. Both parents are Brummies, so I see myself as an honourary Brummie. 

Quite shocked by just how many of us don’t live in Birmingham. They might be right about us…😬

They never are;). I think a lot of us live very near to Birmingham, but qualify as West Mids, others have left Birmingham, but will never leave their club. Others including the Prince of Wales, have become supporters of our club for various other reasons and are most welcome. For some reason very few people outside of Birmingham are easily persuaded to be in any way associated with Tom Ross, Jasper Carrot or any of those other sad Noses.  

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

In England's absence in the 94 World Cup it felt like we could instead support Villa wearing green, just with that nutter John Aldridge up front.

I certainly was I had the green  Irish Opel shirt . We celebrated madly when they beat Italy .

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I certainly was I had the green  Irish Opel shirt . We celebrated madly when they beat Italy .

Yep I remember it well.  Helped that the goal came from a Villa player and McGrath put on one of the greatest defensive displays the World Cup has ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

In fairness there's a deeply underappreciated Irish connection to Birmingham that goes back to the city's boom. You don't hear about it much, it's not a big part of the city's wider image like it is for Liverpool, but there's a big Irish and Irish linked community in Birmingham and has been for a very long time. I've always felt that, while obviously we did have the period of big Irish players being key to some very good squads in the 90s, there's also a deeper root to that connection with Ireland that has more to do with the city's nature.

Yep, it is often said (not sure if entirely true) that the Birmingham St Patrick's day parade is the 3rd largest in the world and yet is barely spoken outside of Digbeth. Birmingham never bigs itself up, unlike London or Manchester.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3