Aston Villa Support Census

Rugeley Villa

Rug'es Poll  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you travel to matches from?

• Birmingham
    • West Midlands conurbation area 
    • Other parts of midlands 
    • UK
    • Places that speak funny

This poll is closed to new votes

28 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yep, it is often said (not sure if entirely true) that the Birmingham St Patrick's day parade is the 3rd largest in the world and yet is barely spoken outside of Digbeth. Birmingham never bigs itself up, unlike London or Manchester.

Always been the same, Birmingham just isn’t a fashionable city compared to Manchester Liverpool London etc. Those cities seem to have more identity or should I say a more brash identity. The city has come a long way but it just never got the hype . The football clubs are a good representation of the city I think and even the music scene. Compare that to Liverpool and Manchester and you see what I mean . Anyway gone a bit off topic here. 

I swear we’ve got one or two scousers that post on here now and again who are Villa fans and I think we have one or two Geordies too, one that doesn’t post now. 

I do notice a few southern accents at our home games and last year I ended up having a drink with father and son who had came  down from Glasgow to watch us who had supported Villa all their lives. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 04:59, Rugeley Villa said:

Currently the biggest percentage is fans  outside the midlands. Hopefully more will post up. 

This doesn't surprise me. We hang out on VT because we don't have many other Villans around to talk with.

• Like 2

I wonder  how reflective of Villa supporters as a whole  VT is though? Part of my reason for joining VT was to procrastinate instead of writing my MSc dissertation- I mean keep up with Villa news from afar.  

VT is a great  place for Villa news analysis and finding out what's  going on if you can't  get to games (though tbh even though I'm back in Brum I still can't get to many games), so is the site it likely to attract  people who live further away? 

I'd imagine it's  also a more middle aged and more male demographic than Villa support as a whole, so not necessarily that representative 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah fan forums are great for people who live a long distance away, it helps them feel more connected I suppose. 

Definitely, I live in Horsham in West Sussex and have only known 3 other Villa fans, none of whom I've seen in about 20 years, so VT is essential for me.  One thing I noticed is there is often a different perspective from people who live far away and those who live locally and more likely to invest more in going to games, there is so much more passionate reaction to things, whether it's results, performances, managers and especially rivalries from fans local to Brum (which is logical, I suppose).

On 15/11/2023 at 08:58, Chindie said:

In fairness there's a deeply underappreciated Irish connection to Birmingham that goes back to the city's boom. You don't hear about it much, it's not a big part of the city's wider image like it is for Liverpool, but there's a big Irish and Irish linked community in Birmingham and has been for a very long time. I've always felt that, while obviously we did have the period of big Irish players being key to some very good squads in the 90s, there's also a deeper root to that connection with Ireland that has more to do with the city's nature.

I went to St Peter's catholic school in Solihull (I was the best footballer until bleedin' Grealish came along.... :) ) I always joked that there were 800 kids at the school and 799 were Irish or of Irish descent.  I was the outlier....(my great-grandad escaped Lithuania before the Ruskies took hold).  That 1994 World Cup Irish squad was brilliant for Villa fans.... 

On 15/11/2023 at 11:01, Rugeley Villa said:

Always been the same, Birmingham just isn’t a fashionable city compared to Manchester Liverpool London etc. Those cities seem to have more identity or should I say a more brash identity. The city has come a long way but it just never got the hype . The football clubs are a good representation of the city I think and even the music scene. Compare that to Liverpool and Manchester and you see what I mean . Anyway gone a bit off topic here. 

I swear we’ve got one or two scousers that post on here now and again who are Villa fans and I think we have one or two Geordies too, one that doesn’t post now. 

Whenever I get blank looks from Americans about the City of Birmingham, I ask them two questions: 1. Have you heard of the industrial revolution?  2. Which city in Europe has the most miles of canal? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

This place is wonderful, it allows me to engage on such a deeper level as a Villa fan despite living in Australia and having never been to England. It's hard to put into words how much this forum and the wonderful people here have been able to open my eyes to Villa and the game in general.

My Grandparents were Brummies, moving over to Adelaide when my dad was 4. I found out when my Grandad died in 1996 that he was an Aston Villa fan, having just started to play under 8s football myself, and from then on that was my team. I still get a pang of nostalgia hearing the accent of the local lads when they're interviewed, sounds exactly like my Grandparents.

Great post 

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Whenever I get blank looks from Americans about the City of Birmingham, I ask them two questions: 1. Have you heard of the industrial revolution?  2. Which city in Europe has the most miles of canal? 

The spiritual home of heavy metal too, wether that’s a good or bad thing for some .

13 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I wonder  how reflective of Villa supporters as a whole  VT is though? Part of my reason for joining VT was to procrastinate instead of writing my MSc dissertation- I mean keep up with Villa news from afar.  

VT is a great  place for Villa news analysis and finding out what's  going on if you can't  get to games (though tbh even though I'm back in Brum I still can't get to many games), so is the site it likely to attract  people who live further away? 

I'd imagine it's  also a more middle aged and more male demographic than Villa support as a whole, so not necessarily that representative 

The average premier league season ticket holder is well over 40 now,, and probably male-dominated. I do wonder if in 20 years' time the demand for match day attendance will be the same.

18 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah fan forums are great for people who live a long distance away, it helps them feel more connected I suppose. 

These forums are my best connection to the club, to the normal fans.  People ask me all the time if I miss living in England and my response is "only family and going down the Villa."  I don't have much involvement on social media, too much nonsense and drama for me, but with a few exceptions these forums are just normal fans giving opinions and having some banter.  Sort of reminds me of the walk back to the car after a match, listening to all the other fans around me as we made our way up the grassy hill past Aston Hall.  And you're so engrossed in your conversation/rant/celebration that you slip on the wet grass and fall in to a pile of dog sh*t. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, FLVillan said:

To most Americans, Birmingham is a city in Alabama. Or, if you're in Detroit, it's a posh suburb north of town.

Born in Sutton Coldfield (Good Hope Hospital), parents (lifelong Villa fan Dad from Northfield, South Brum/Mom from Lichfield but both lived in Burntwood, Aston, Great Barr and Four Oaks before I was born) moved us to a small village between Cannock and Lichfield called Cannock Wood when I was 4/5, lived there until they moved to Lichfield when I was in my second of three years at university in Southampton and for the last eight years after graduating after a few months back with Mom and Dad in Lichfield I have lived in Wiltshire near to Swindon thanks to my partner (now fiancée) whom I met in year one at uni as it's where she grew up!

Wherever I've been and wherever I go in the future, Aston Villa Football Club will always be with me. Stand-out 'glutton for punishment' moments include spunking most of my student loan payment to pay to fly from Southampton airport to Leeds/Bradford to witness us get panned by League Two Bradford City in the semi-final first leg of the League Cup under Paul Lambert and holding the proud record of attending -  by hook or by crook - every league game home and away of the (shudders) Alex McLeish tenure of doom.

• Like 4