Midweek Football 6/9 November

andykeenan

2 hours ago, Genie said:

We aren’t ready for it yet, we’ll just lose our games and then bow out. Scraping in because of the 5th place would be a mistake imo.

Hopefully we go deep (kw) into the Europa flavours a few times first and then make the step up.

It obviously wouldn't be a mistake - it'd be fantastic to qualify for the Champions League, just as it's been fantastic to qualify for the Europa Conference League.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Who cares, we would make an unholy amount of money by qualifying for the CL, plus it would be much easier to attract players and pay them higher wages if we were in it. Also I don't think we would lose our games, we would be just as competitive as Newcastle. There are plenty of poor teams in the CL, like Celtic. 

This is the potential issue. We qualify ahead of plan, now we have to invest heavily and overhaul the squad in a short space of time. The wage bills rockets up so we’re not embarrassed. Then what? If we go out and then fall back from 4th/5th in the league we could be in trouble, all for a trip to Milan.

My view is ideally we grow into a team that is competitive in the Europa / Conference leagues over 2/3/4 years and then make the step up to the big boys league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is the potential issue. We qualify ahead of plan, now we have to invest heavily and overhaul the squad in a short space of time. The wage bills rockets up so we’re not embarrassed. Then what? If we go out and then fall back from 4th/5th in the league we could be in trouble, all for a trip to Milan.

My view is ideally we grow into a team that is competitive in the Europa / Conference leagues over 2/3/4 years and then make the step up to the big boys league.

Nah, we wouldn't be embarrassed even if we qualified now (I mean, maybe in Newcastle's group... but probably still not embarrassed).  You don't need to rush to purchase players purely because you qualify; just continue to build the right team over time.  Qualification just shows that we'd be progressing and gets us a decent chunk of change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

We aren’t ready for it yet, we’ll just lose our games and then bow out. Scraping in because of the 5th place would be a mistake imo.

Hopefully we go deep (kw) into the Europa flavours a few times first and then make the step up.

I get what you are saying but losing our games and bowing out while collecting the money and status that comes with being a Champions League club is better than not being there at all.  The simple truth is that being in the big cup opens up a whole new world of revenue streams, sponsorship deals and transfer targets that simply aren't interested in anything else.  Look at the rise of Spurs over the past 10-15 years for example, they've hardly been operating on a shoestring but most of the good things which have happened to them have been predicated by good business in the transfer market and half a dozen Champions League campaigns.  It's better to get in and use that as a springboard than wait for a day (where you go in with a competitive side) that may never come.  

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

I get what you are saying but losing our games and bowing out while collecting the money and status that comes with being a Champions League club is better than not being there at all. 

Not if we spent the money on expensive players on 5 year contracts. It would set us back imo.

I doubt we’ll finish 5th, nor is it confirmed the PL will get an 5th spot so it’s not really something to worry about in the short term. 

Just now, Genie said:

Not if we spent the money on expensive players on 5 year contracts. It would set us back imo.

That's a big if isn't it?  The club aren't stupid, or at least they aren't that stupid.   The standard model for Champions League remuneration to players is a +% bonus for being in it, not pretending you didn't notice what happened to Leeds United in the 00s. 

yeah id obviously be interested to see what monchi pulls out of the bag should we get CL but tbf I'm sat here hoping / wanting moncho can get us some CL level players regardless of whether or not we are in it, us finishing 6th and getting EL or us finishing 5th and getting 6th and EL does it really make that much of a difference? or can we attract the right players regardless?

its not like we'd be signing mbappe either way but can monchi get arnau martinez to villa over barca and bayern next summer anyway?

Champions League is close to a must soon with 5 teams likely to get a spot this season. 

We've got another season at most with Luiz, Martinez, Kamara before the big CL teams come knocking and they will want to play in it/challenge for titles. I'm confident we'd use the money well but there's a lot more downside to not getting there that's for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

There's no need, or reason, to wait. If we can get in the CL now it will only benefit us, there are no downsides. 

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Strong disagree here. Can never take European football for granted whichever competition. Football changes very quickly, it could be another 13 years (hopefully not) before we experience any form of European football so if we do manage to get Champions League then Villa should make the most of it regardless of whether we are ready for it or not. 

• Like 1

Â