Charlie Aitken

mottaloo

4 hours ago, John said:

Such sad news. I thought Charlie would always be there, he was ever present at left back when I was a young lad standing by the railings at the foot of the Holte End, all the way through to my late teens.

He was with us through the lows of relegation from Division 1 to Division 3 and was with us until he had played his part in getting us right back up to where we belonged. He played in our shirt at Wembley, in Antwerp and at Bury. Charlie played alongside Johnny Dixon, Peter McParland and Gerry Hitchens, as well as Brian Little, Andy Gray, Dennis Mortimer and every Villa player in between. He played against Best, Greaves and Charlton, as well as with and against Pele. His first Villa boss was Joe Mercer and his last was Ron Saunders. He played for Scotland U23 and for us 660 times. My thoughts as with his family and with his Villa family as he takes his place in the Villa line up in the sky. RIP Charlie HEITS! 

Meet Aston Villa's stars of the seventies at Charlie Aitken book launch -  Birmingham Live image.jpeg.48b7f809739ec69e3384a032b324bb54.jpeg  Charlie Aitken Aston Villa | Aston villa, Aston, Villa  Aston Villas Charlie Aitken, Ian Ross available as Framed Prints, Photos,  Wall Art and Photo Gifts Charlie Aitken dead at 81: Aston Villa's record appearance holder passes  away as club lead tributes to late great | The Sun 

Brilliant post John. RIP to him HEITS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RIP to a true club legend. I don't think his appearance record will ever be broken. Stayed with Villa during the wilderness years and was rewarded with a  league cup.

A bit disappointed it didn't even geta brief mention on MOTD2 yesterday and has had very little coverage outside of Birmingham.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

RIP to a true club legend. I don't think his appearance record will ever be broken. Stayed with Villa during the wilderness years and was rewarded with a  league cup.

A bit disappointed it didn't even geta brief mention on MOTD2 yesterday and has had very little coverage outside of Birmingham.

Disappointed yes surprised no. You know what the media and especially the BBC are like when it comes to anything in Birmingham especially us. Stuff ‘em all anyway. UTV!! RIP Charlie HEITS!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John said:

Such sad news. I thought Charlie would always be there, he was ever present at left back when I was a young lad standing by the railings at the foot of the Holte End, all the way through to my late teens.

He was with us through the lows of relegation from Division 1 to Division 3 and was with us until he had played his part in getting us right back up to where we belonged. He played in our shirt at Wembley, in Antwerp and at Bury. Charlie played alongside Johnny Dixon, Peter McParland and Gerry Hitchens, as well as Brian Little, Andy Gray, Dennis Mortimer and every Villa player in between. He played against Best, Greaves and Charlton, as well as with and against Pele. His first Villa boss was Joe Mercer and his last was Ron Saunders. He played for Scotland U23 and for us 660 times. My thoughts as with his family and with his Villa family as he takes his place in the Villa line up in the sky. RIP Charlie HEITS! 

Meet Aston Villa's stars of the seventies at Charlie Aitken book launch -  Birmingham Live image.jpeg.48b7f809739ec69e3384a032b324bb54.jpeg  Charlie Aitken Aston Villa | Aston villa, Aston, Villa  Aston Villas Charlie Aitken, Ian Ross available as Framed Prints, Photos,  Wall Art and Photo Gifts Charlie Aitken dead at 81: Aston Villa's record appearance holder passes  away as club lead tributes to late great | The Sun 

Well put John as always.

I too was in the ground watching him in my youth....I remember him well...as you say, always seemed to be there as a player or Ambassador.

His love of Aston Villa was endearing, its sad news.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I know of him (obviously) but well before my time...

His appearance record averages 38 games per season over 17 years which is incredible.

R.I.P

H.E.I.T.S

Yeah sure is, For context McGinn is likely to make his 200th appearance on Sunday against Forest. Charlie went on to make 660! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is an article on the BBC now, perhaps they were waiting for a confirmation.

Yeah, they at least seem to have finally caught up. 

• Like 1

In my ancient BBC History of Villa video, he was interviewed  for the program. He really went through an evolution of football as when he started playing it was in the old W M formation, before the now traditional 4-4-2, or 4-5-1, etc.  Aitken went through a lot at Villa with the decay of the old Villa board with the sell-off of the old training ground,  the takeover, the division three years and recovery, and the move to Bodymoor. It very much straddled different eras at Villa.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Growing up I always wanted to wear number 3 when I played, no matter what position I was playing.  It was because of Charlie Aitken.  His name is and was synonymous with pure class and Aston Villa.  May he Rest In Peace.  The ultimate Holte Ender in the Sky. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

sky never mentioned it they seem to mention everyboy else

Yea not a whisper of it.

Might be just me but I also thought the club's twitter admin didn't put enough emphasis on his importance to the club.

His death was mentioned and then a few minutes later back to tweets celebrating the game.

Tweet should have been pinned at the very least and in my opinion we could have gone with the black and white crest for a day as many clubs do to mark the passing of a former legend.

Â