Match Thread: AZ Alkmaar v Villa

limpid

2 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals - clinical.

That said, we haven’t been great and I’ll be shocked if we don’t gift them at least one goal with the risks we’re taking at the back, multiple times Kamara just about got the ball away to cash, aside from the one he got caught on and they should have scored.

McGinn and Digne haven’t been great, Luiz so so, Tielemans and Bailey have been superb for the most part. There’s a goal or two for Watkins here if he switches on fully.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I know why teams do it, but I still hate playing out from the back. Not good for the heart. 

Ah, but the feeling at the end of the match when we've won is good for the soul.

Very impressive so far.  I mean some of our passing at the back is a bit hard on the nerves - but the point is that if it drags the opposition out of position it gives us major opportunities to exploit that.  We've launched several dangerous attacks just when Alkmaar thought they had us under pressure.  Alkmaar's home record in Europe is unreal but we are looking very good for our lead.

6 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This more advanced position is precisely where Youri wants to be

Where he played for Leicester when he was first on loan. He's also pretty clever about initiating the press in short spaces which is part of the further forward role. His goal came from him spontaneously pressing their cdm when he was facing the other way. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we've been sloppy at times, careless in possession and a little too generous in the space we've allowed them.

And yet, here we are, 2-0 up and largely untroubled - we've got so many ways to beat a team and we're so well set up that even when we're making mistakes we can still look good.

The BT team seem to think we're brilliant and Robbie Savage is ever so pleased with himself at having made up a formation for us.

A goal will be good for both of the players that have scored and they both look lively and like they want to grab this opportunity with both hands.

I think we'll be better in the second half - I think that's a measure of just how good this team is at the moment and how well we're being managed.

Unai Emery is a genius.

Agreed. We've gifted them some really good openings. But I think part of that is down to the effectiveness of their press. They look very good at it, and yet the few times they've successfully closed us down they've squandered their chances. The few times we've broken their press we've been lethal. Fine margins really.

I think we'll cut out the defensive errors and continue to threaten going forwards if Emery gets what he wants out of the second half...