Jareth

On 29/11/2023 at 12:13, The Fun Factory said:

Having City and Arsenal over the Christmas period has echoes of 89-90 with United and Arsenal getting turned over at Villa Park. Came 2nd that year.

Similar to 1998-99. We had Man United and Arsenal at home in December and we were top at Christmas. 

I will always maintain those injuries to Bosnich and Ugo derailed our title challenge and Steve Stone wasn't the right signing either.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

I saw that the Kelly and Wrighty show now includes the Villa badge in their "Title Race" graphic...

But they're still clueless, or at least Wright is. His "insight" amounted to naming three players, one of which he struggled to remember (Dougie).

I'm seen him do the same exact thing in the past with Villa. If you have that platform as an "analyst", you should respect the audience a bit more and maybe prepare a little rather than just wing it.

Frankly Arsenal look very beatable to me- when away from home.  Soft underbelly, typical Gunners team.  Rice helps improve that- but doesn't eliminate it.  They struggled defensively on the road against Luton- shipped 3 goals.  I'd like to think they will have trouble too at Villa Park.

Citeh comes tomorrow missing several key players, most notably Rodri.  Citeh also has been poor defensively lately, and playing without Rodri will weaken them further.  Honestly I fancy Villa's chances to get a result in BOTH matches.  I think we can get 4 points from these 2 matches.  Why not?  

UTV

These are two big games that we can’t sit back and hope to get scraps on the counter. We have to play with authority and try and get at least 45% ball possession and give both teams a bloody nose.

If we finish these two games unbeaten then I know we will get top four. Two defeats and I don’t think we will. 1 win 1 loss it’s still very much on. 1 defeat and a draw is okay but I think it’s a top 6/7 finish.  

Two wins and it’s a genuine title challenge and I don’t care what anyone else says or thinks about that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

These are two big games that we can’t sit back and hope to get scraps on the counter. We have to play with authority and try and get at least 45% ball possession and give both teams a bloody nose.

If we finish these two games unbeaten then I know we will get top four. Two defeats and I don’t think we will. 1 win 1 loss it’s still very much on. 1 defeat and a draw is okay but I think it’s a top 6/7 finish.  

Two wins and it’s a genuine title challenge and I don’t care what anyone else says or thinks about that.

The next two games aren’t going to decide Villas league position either way. Last time I checked the title/champions league spots are given out in May not December. We are not even half through the season yet. 

Winning the next 2 games doesn’t necessarily mean Villa are title challengers whilst a defeat and a draw doesn’t mean Villa are just going to finish top 6/7. 

Personally I don’t see Villa up there with Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool from what I’ve watched this season but people will disagree with that which is fine. Maybe if Villa are close to them in March I will change my mind but it’s not boom or bust in December 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Arsenal starting to move away from the pack now

Man City will still win the league by 5 points or more.  They always start slow and the fact if they do beat us tonight they’ll only be 3 points off the top at this stage is scary because they are barely out of second gear.  

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

These two games won’t define all that with over half a season to go.  Season positioning is about consistency over a season.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Man City will still win the league by 5 points or more.  They always start slow and the fact if they do beat us tonight they’ll only be 3 points off the top at this stage is scary because they are barely out of second gear.  

I think they will drop off a little this season.

I predicted Arsenal to win the league before the season

Edited by Pinebro

We're doing fine, absolutely no reason to lose our heads because Arsenal beat Luton - even though they were poor throughout.

4th in the league ahead of two fixtures against City and Arsenal is a dream scenario right now, it's two free hits at the big sides. They have a lot more on the line than we do right now.

After these games we've got a good run of games into the New Year where we can work on stockpiling more points. Keep the faith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1