Dismal Cup Record

Zatman

Hopefully the two recent cup defeats can be a kick up the arse for the Conference League.  Quite often teams lose their first group games but end up winning the trophy, the Argies against Saudi Arabia for example.  I still think there will have to be an element of rotation regardless, the people who say we should play the strongest team in every game are living in fantasy land.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I think it’s because we’re in Europe, but last night didn’t really bother me.

We really should be capable of one cup run though - so it’s down to Europa Conference or FA Cup. 

We can't compete in three different cups and in the league. It's not possible. Focus on winning the conference league and trying to finish as high as possible in the premier League. Domestic cups aren't a priority. It's a good thing we were knocked out last night. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

We can't compete in three different cups and in the league. It's not possible. Focus on winning the conference league and trying to finish as high as possible in the premier League. Domestic cups aren't a priority. It's a good thing we were knocked out last night. 

I'm more concerned with the disappointing performance, rather than actually being out of the Cup.

• Like 1

I was born in 91

Too young to see us win something.

It kills me to see us not taking the cups seriously.

Why is Olsen playing? Whi McGinn playing LB? I just find it absolutely absurd.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I was born in 91

Emery always gives his backup keeper game time in the Cups. We have no fit left backs to bring in.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I was born in 91

We are.

We just have a few injury problems and players who are usually good seem to make loads of mistakes in these cup games for some reason.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I think it’s because we’re in Europe, but last night didn’t really bother me.

We really should be capable of one cup run though - so it’s down to Europa Conference or FA Cup. 

Wont be the FA cup, we cant get past the 3rd round. even playing a lesser side a home we get knocked out! 

Fully except City or Liverpool in the 3rd round this year. 

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Emery always gives his backup keeper game time in the Cups. We have no fit left backs to bring in.

Then I think he needs to change that policy until we get another back-up keeper (although, I'm not adverse to giving him the second half, if we are 2 or 3 up at home).

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

As much as everyone wants a cup run, I’d take top 5 and deep run in the conference league. We don’t have the squad depth for a run in each competition and that is more so with Mings, Carlos, Moreno and Buendia missing.

Something has to be sacrificed and I would rather the 3 points against Brighton on the weekend.

I would take sixth and winning the conference league. That said, I would really like another winning day out at Wembley too. image.jpeg.5d239e0e8c44da9bbf677654f35cf038.jpeg :cheers:

The Europa Conference League is probably our best bet of silverware this season, but that is not a given by any means. We need to take it seriously, not underestimate any opponent, put out our best team, and need a little bit of fortune to win it.

The two domestic cups I would love to win, especially the FA Cup, but recent history shows that they tend to be won by the same few teams year on year. That is partly why last nights defeat hurt, but not as much as last Thursday for me.

disappointing result but like others have said, the manner of performance is most worrying. Its easy to blame rotation but in reality, nearly everyone that appeared last night will need to play a role this season. The less involvement our fringe players have, the bigger them impact (negatively) when they play. I think teams typically use about 20 players across a season (villa actually had 20 players making at least 5 appearances last season), for me the answer is to find away to involve these players more and not less.

I don't think there's any way to sugarcoat or explain away Wednesday's' EFL Cup debacle. It hurts badly, very badly, and the hurt ain't going anywhere until we "bring it home" one day. 

But there isn't time for self-pity as Villa fans, as I see it. It's pointless to dwell too much on it, IMO, at least for me personally. We face a deadly good team on Saturday at home again, and I'm forcing myself to put the Everton match behind us and get ready for Saturday, mentally. 

We asked for Europe, we got it, and we still have real chances there. Winning is easy to handle. But sometimes, being positive as a fan is hard. It's an act of will. This is one of those weeks, at least for me. We do still have some cup possibilities this year. Learn from Wednesday.

And then move on. 

Another thought.

One criticism i've seen of Unai historically, is that his teams have sometimes tended to suffer in the League... whilst doing well in Cups and Competetions etc.

I wonder if this is something which is now in his thoughts, and he is trying his best to navigate priorities these days, based on given circumstances?

Â