Dismal Cup Record

Zatman

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Out of interest, are you grouping the two Hibs games?

It’s a bad record, no question. I guess I feel as we’ve been typically bad in both the cups and the league, being only bad in the cups is something of an improvement so it doesn’t bother me as much. 

Plus, I kinda feel like it doesn’t matter how good we are in the cups, we’ll eventually lose to Man City somewhere along the way.

but they're out. along with spurs, brighton, and other PL teams. it's a very winnable competition this year and that doesn't happen very often

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but they're out. along with spurs, brighton, and other PL teams. it's a very winnable competition this year and that doesn't happen very often

I say Man City but I’m only using them metaphorically. Replace with Liverpool or Man Utd.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I say Man City but I’m only using them metaphorically. Replace with Liverpool or Man Utd.

i get that but we finally have a squad and manager where i wouldn't fear them if we took the cups seriously

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i get that but we finally have a squad and manager where i wouldn't fear them if we took the cups seriously

Problem is I don’t think we’re taking them unseriously. I think he is going for it but he’s trying to balance the league and utilise some players who I think he thinks are sufficiently good enough to do the job and so far it isn’t working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Problem is I don’t think we’re taking them unseriously. I think he is going for it but he’s trying to balance the league and utilise some players who I think he thinks are sufficiently good enough to do the job and so far it isn’t working.

Agree with this I think with the injuries and new players we are still a work in progress with the first team. There are positive signs but also plenty of areas that need improvement. You make a few changes to that team and the weaknesses just start adding up. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

i said it in the post match, it really was as if the squad didn't fancy the additional midweek games in the run up to xmas. i'm not totally blaming emery for this one and his HT subs indicated he wanted to win. shame the team didn't

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i said it in the post match, it really was as if the squad didn't fancy the additional midweek games in the run up to xmas. i'm not totally blaming emery for this one and his HT subs indicated he wanted to win. shame the team didn't

I think it’s possibly a bit of over confidence from the better players — thinking they just need to turn up and the league form will do the talking, a lack of confidence from the not so good players, there being a certain disconnect between both sets of players from not having played regularly with each other, and just generally underestimating the opposition.

I am fed up of us putting out half arsed teams, we should be taking this competition seriously, we are not winning the league anytime soon, this is probably our best chance of silverware, but we continue to serve up tripe like that last night! 

We supposedly have the cup master in Unai...  he needs to start taking the cup competitions seriously, just shows that our squad is not as good as we think it is.

It is overconfidence  from our players? You would think if you are not in the 1st team and get that chance to play you would play out your skin??  

43 minutes ago, calcifer said:

I am fed up of us putting out half arsed teams, we should be taking this competition seriously, we are not winning the league anytime soon, this is probably our best chance of silverware, but we continue to serve up tripe like that last night! 

We supposedly have the cup master in Unai...  he needs to start taking the cup competitions seriously, just shows that our squad is not as good as we think it is.

It is overconfidence  from our players? You would think if you are not in the 1st team and get that chance to play you would play out your skin??  

Tbh I’m not so sure. We get to the final then get beaten by a better team than us and then it was all for nothing. I’d rather focus on the two competitions that matter this season - conference and the league. I’d think differently if we weren’t in Europe.

What this does mean though is we really need to go full strength in the conference and not half-arse it again. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Tbh I’m not so sure. We get to the final then get beaten by a better team than us and then it was all for nothing. I’d rather focus on the two competitions that matter this season - conference and the league. I’d think differently if we weren’t in Europe.

What this does mean though is we really need to go full strength in the conference and not half-arse it again. 

Sadly, Unai has little option but to rotate as the 1st 11 cant play all these game in succession, i have little confidence in our back up players to get the job done in Europe. So do we risk going full strength? Doing so may see us through but the players will get tired and be blowing out their backside come Xmas, league will suffer as a result because of the high line we play its very intense, add the fact out shirts are awful and retain sweat!  (need our players to develop asthma and get some magic inhalers….)  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spoony said:

based on our last line up and performance i'm really concerned that the conference league isn't much of a priority for us

Definite issue with depth for rotation- Digne cant play two games a week with the amount hes asked to get up and down. Moreno not fit, so we have Pau there, but hes also needed in the centre where theres injuries... which leads to the crazy option of Mcginn as left back. 

Im super disappointed about yesterday but see the logic. I just hope we go strong as we can in Europe for the next few games and then hopefully rest/rotate. It would be gutting to not get out the group. Hopefully we wont have such bad luck with inuries throughout the season or its going to be very hard to achieve anything. 

I'm annoyed af that we whimped out against Everton last night in the Carabao Cup. I really hope this is a wake up call for the squad, because we've now bombed out of one of the competitions that we had a realistic shot at winning. At least it isn't the FA Cup or Conference Cup, but I really hope we start taking those seriously now all things considered.

If Legia wasn't a wake up call, then Everton sure af should be. **** even Stevenage last FA Cup should have been a massive wake up call lasting long into this season....

Edited by osmark86

Â