villan95

image.png.7e40f2ed684b41fec62bf27a359701c2.png

Away form as it stands after the Bournemouth game.  We've been to Liverpool and Newcastle who are top of the home form table (we've got games in hand at home if you were wondering). 

Today was a decent point.   Bournemouth's last game was a stroll in the park against Sheffield United. That was the day before we played Spurs and obviously they didn't play in midweek when we did.  Their next fixture is against Palace.  I think it's fair to say that they were going to come into this game fresher than we were and they'd be able to expend more energy over the 90 minutes.   I'll consider this a point earned. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh no, we have a great goalkeeper?

Football isn't played on paper - there are blips and pros.  Our away form is roughly what I'd expect from the games we've played (losses to the bigger sides in that run, maybe a draw against Wolves and then victories against Burnley, Forest and Bournemouth) but then we have anomalies.  Forest are decent at home (comparative to their league position) and Bournemouth have recently beaten Newcastle.

11 points from 8 away games extrapolated over the entire season (so, without context... and we've had a tougher away calendar so far IMO) gives you 26 points.  Last season, that would've been the 6th best away record in the league behind the top 2 - who were miles ahead of that - Newcastle (32), Brighton (28) and Man Utd (27).  We're roughly where we need to be in terms of fighting for a top 4 spot.

Respectfully I disagree -- you say football isn't played on paper but then talk almost exclusively about facts and figures rather than getting into our performances. The point people are making is that lots of the performances on the pitch away from home have been unconvincing.

And for the record I adore Emery and our current squad -- I just want to be honest about where we're at

Edited by jayEm

Second half today was very disappointing (didn't see the 1st so can't comment). Will glad take the point based on what I saw.

In relation to other games it does feel a bit of a missed opportunity with Man. United and Brighton losing and Spurs probably losing in two hours time just to increased points lead over them going into the tough home matches.

I do think however people seem to be under the impression we need to be winning away every week just like we are at home to finish top 4. We don't.

If people genuinely think we're in a title race then yes today is a big blow but I think they're getting slightly carried away....

Just now, jayEm said:

Respectfully I disagree -- you say football isn't played on paper but then talk almost exclusively about facts and figures rather than getting into our performances. The point people are making is that lots of the performances on the pitch away from home have been unconvincing.

Yeah, it isn’t played on paper. Facts and figures aren’t on paper; they’re ignoring the opposition.

I’d agree that performances have been unconvincing, but our form is “fine”. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, thejoker said:

We’re giving away far too many chances again. Need to tighten up in these away games. 

The big issue is we keep conceding at stupid times.

Today we conceded in the first 10 minutes. Just like we did at Forest. And five minutes after half time, just like at Forest. We also did that at Wolves. That's before looking at the poor starts we made at Liverpool and Newcastle.

If you keep on going 1-0 down after 10 minutes in away games you're not going to be winning many of them.

We need to be more switched on but I guess that's where the impact of Thursday evening matches seems to be impacting us as it's taking a while for the 11 out there to switch on for Sunday games and clearly we can't snap out of it.

19 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

image.png.7e40f2ed684b41fec62bf27a359701c2.png

Away form as it stands after the Bournemouth game.  We've been to Liverpool and Newcastle who are top of the home form table (we've got games in hand at home if you were wondering). 

Today was a decent point

So

If you ignore the Liverpool and Newcastle games we've won 3, drew 2 and lost 1 in 6 aways games. That's not that bad really is it.

Yes we don't always play that well but if we keep picking points up then will be no bother

20 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If you ignore the Liverpool and Newcastle games we've won 3, drew 2 and lost 1 in 6 aways games. That's not that bad really is it.

Also if you ignore the games we lost or drew, we have won every game this season. 😜

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Today we conceded in the first 10 minutes. Just like we did at Forest. And five minutes after half time, just like at Forest. We also did that at Wolves. That's before looking at the poor starts we made at Liverpool and Newcastle.

If you keep on going 1-0 down after 10 minutes in away games you're not going to be winning many of them.

We need to be more switched on but I guess that's where the impact of Thursday evening matches seems to be impacting us as it's taking a while for the 11 out there to switch on for Sunday games and clearly we can't snap out of it.

Its not just stupid times, its stupid goals.

1st today Carlos passes it straight to their player, then goes charging out, opening the passing lane to the goalscorer.

2nd goal Luiz misses a relatively simple interception from the cross, ball goes under his foot.

Away at Forest we gift them 2 goals (then spend the rest of the game kicking it into the stand when in good positions in their box)

Even at home we are doing stupid stuff eg luton own goal and kamara assisting legia on thursday.

Thursday evening hangover is interesting; Newcastle, Brighton, West Ham all also had some poor away performances and results as well this season.

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Exactly, we've played 8 away, supposedly not done very well and we're in 4th. 1 point behind the richest and apparently the greatest team ever

Picking up points when not playing particularly well is a very good sign. Getting sloppy in midfield which I hope Unai will sort.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 19:07, Vive_La_Villa said:

We have the 7th best away record in the league picking up 4 points less than Spurs that have the best. We’ll have to ride our luck at times away and grind out points.  The most important thing is to keep winning at home.

Was looking at last year's table.

We could actually not win another away game all season and still not finish top 6. Going by last season's placings Brighton finished 6th on 62 points.

If we won 9 of our final 13 games at VP and drew a further two that would give us 29 points so we'd be on 58 points and so going by last season would just need four awat draws to equal Brighton's points haul.

So if we want to be making top 4 which will be around 70 points as normal we don't really need to win that many away game. Of course we need the home form to remain excellent but 9 wins from final 13 dosen't seem that impossible if we keep on winning the games we need to and then beat a few of the top 8 again like Spurs and Newcastle.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2023 at 16:38, VillaChris said:

Ths issue for me is that Emery keeps buggering about with the away team selection and formation. We nearly always look disjointed and disorganised as a result, and concede early goals. We've played quite badly for large parts of most of the away games. Starting Zaniolo yesterday was crazy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

Ths issue for me is that Emery keeps buggering about with the away team selection and formation. We nearly always look disjointed and disorganised as a result, and concede early goals. We've played quite badly for large parts of most of the away games. Starting Zaniolo yesterday was crazy.

The Konsa RB variations have easily been the worst performances we have put in this year except against Burnley.

I hope Unai stops them soon but until we get another RB, he may feel he has no choice.

Edited by DJBOB

• 2 weeks later...