Midweek Football 18/21 September

andykeenan

Jeez. You see this? MIlan seem to keep pushing Newcastle back every single time they start to mount a progression until suddenly Milan have the ball in Newcastle's half. Long balls galore from Milan. But Milan are making handling Newcastle look relatively comfortable so far. I feel surprised, seeing this. Gordon turned into a pathetic scamperer trying to make something happen and just failing repeatedly. But Milan hasn't threatened as much this half.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's hard to know which is more boring, F1 or the champions League group phase. 

That commentator really irritates me. He is like subprime Alan Partridge. Stick to the football and go lighter on the anecdotes . 

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Newcastle are going to be gassed this year. They can't continue playing their style and thinking they'll keep any sort of fitness going into the new year.

Newcastle fans will be saying the same thing about us if they are watching on Thursday. Villa, Brighton and Newcastle are really going to feel the pressure of playing so many games with smaller squads. 

Just now, villa89 said:

Newcastle fans will be saying the same thing about us if they are watching on Thursday. Villa, Brighton and Newcastle are really going to feel the pressure of playing so many games with smaller squads. 

I would agree except that Newcastle play a lower possession and a higher regular off the ball intensity than us. Reminds me of MON and Leeds under Bielsa. I think part of the reason Unai acquired the players he did was to have more ball retention and less chasing. It's how the top teams keep themselves fresh instead of chasing and then going in transition each time.

9 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I see Kalvin Phillips is not even trusted to play against Red Star Belgrade now, really pissing away any ambition of playing regular football now. Will end up their midfield version of Scott Carson.

Still will get called up and play for England though under Southgate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I see Kalvin Phillips is not even trusted to play against Red Star Belgrade now, really pissing away any ambition of playing regular football now. Will end up their midfield version of Scott Carson.

I wonder if he's proud of his medals. I think I'd stick them in a drawer and be too embarrassed to look at them if I were him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just can’t get away from Tonali looking like Kylo Ren/Adam Driver.

Sandro Ren ...

15 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Milan may come to regret that. Should have been out of sight in the first half. Poor by Newcastle on all fronts.

Thinking the same. In fact, you could almost see that realisation on the faces of Giroud and Pulisic. They definitely "lost" this draw. It was there for them to win, and they failed to capitalise on some good chances. I would venture to say that our offense has more of a cutting edge than Milan's. Their defense was superb today, Tomori especially. So confident.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Nice job by Newcastle,  tough place to go and get any result. They didn't threaten that much but their defending was first class, blocks, closing down tackles you name it , keeper was solid as well.

Disappointing up front though, seem to run out of ideas and ended up turning over possession time and time again as the game went on, should have just kept the ball rather than trying to win the game. 

• Like 1

Â