Midweek Football 18/21 September

andykeenan

6 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Did you watch it? Most one sided 4-3 you could imagine, they were dominated.

Sure I watched it, and I agree United were dominated -- and yet after all that, they nearly came back. They're a current mess, but two recent generations of football fans are only used to thinking of Fergie-era 1993-2013 United. The club's historical "normal" isn't quite that, but it's close, and I don't see that changing overall in the long run, but who knows?

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Brighton beat Newcastle 3-1 and then make 6 changes in the next game away at United and win 3-1. Team that started cost £17m. He has made 7 changes to that team tonight and they’ve been beaten, I guarantee there won’t be any Brighton fans questioning their manager though. They trust their manager and respect that you have to rotate the squad. 

Arguably a more damaging loss too; the weakest team in their group at home. 

Thing is that all the prem teams played with a far lesser intensity than their opponents. While the bottom of those leagues is gash, can’t just not show up versus the teams that make it to conference/Europa

I was in Belgrade in 2018 and went to watch Red Star v Liverpool in the CL. The ground was full one hour before kick off and the fans and players were bang up for it and won 2-0. They had conceded 10 in their previous 2 games. Klopp made 4/5 changes but they just never got going pretty much like us tonight. Moral of story, Liverpool went on to win the CL that year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WHY said:

Brighton beat Newcastle 3-1 and then make 6 changes in the next game away at United and win 3-1. Team that started cost £17m. He has made 7 changes to that team tonight and they’ve been beaten, I guarantee there won’t be any Brighton fans questioning their manager though. They trust their manager and respect that you have to rotate the squad. 

If by questioning, you mean offering any criticism whatsoever, I wouldn’t be too sure of that guarantee.

From a Brighton forum after 5-10 minutes of me having a little look -

“I found the substitutions baffling. Fati was largely anonymous, yet he stayed on whilst the best player on the pitch (Pedro) was hooked. Buonanotte hasn’t featured all season but was introduced ahead of Dahoud/Lallana. 

Then you have Milner starting. Definitely a rare off night for RDZ.”

“For the life of me I can’t work out why anyone with European experience didn’t start. We were rabbits in headlights first half especially. I would have gone with…”

“I don't think RDZ 'read the room' correctly tonight, get the impression he had half an eye on Sunday and rotated the team too much.”

“RDZ has had a shocker tonight, love the man but this is on him tonight.”

“We got schooled on the ways of the Europa league. RDZ still hasn't won in europe.”

These are just the quotes which are readily identifiable as “I think the manager got it wrong”.  You could find other posts which could be argued that the criticism is of the way the game was managed and they don’t reference De Zerbi by name, but that would be more nuanced.

Brighton supporters, Villa supporters…they’re football supporters. They’re going to offer criticism after a defeat.

Â