Midweek Football 18/21 September

andykeenan

United now sit somewhere between being Mid-table and the Big Six. Not really good enough any more for the top of the table, but not quite bad enough to be Fulham or Crystal Palace. Very different set of challenges, but they're slightly worse than us in terms of level of overall quality.

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

but they're slightly worse than us in terms of level of overall quality.

Yet they always pull it out of the bag. There's absolutely no chance we finish above them, and we haven't for decades.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yet they always pull it out of the bag. There's absolutely no chance we finish above them, and we haven't for decades.

We finished above Chelsea and Spurs for the first time in how long? We can finish above this United team, they are garbage.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We finished above Chelsea and Spurs for the first time in how long? We can finish above this United team, they are garbage.

I hope you're right, but last season I would have said our first 11 goes toe to toe with them. They grind the results out, and their mediocre "failure" is usually better than our success. I'll be surprised if we finish in the top 7-8, and I think they comfortably will.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Their gameplan really just revolves around giving the ball to Rashford and Fernandes in final third and hoping one of them can score a worldie or dive for penalty to win a game e.g. Rashford v Forest.

When you think about it that's basically been their way to win many games since Solskjaer was there.

Onana looks a walking mistake currently, defence has endless injuries and midfield balance has completely gone but I'd fancy us to finish above them if one of the above picked up an injury for a couple of months. They can't afford to lose those two if they want to remain competitive in top 4.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Their gameplan really just revolves around giving the ball to Rashford and Fernandes in final third and hoping one of them can score a worldie or dive for penalty to win a game e.g. Rashford v Forest.

When you think about it that's basically been their way to win many games since Solskjaer was there.

Onana looks a walking mistake currently, defence has endless injuries and midfield balance has completely gone but I'd fancy us to finish above them if one of the above picked up an injury for a couple of months. They can't afford to lose those two if they want to remain competitive in top 4.

They’re so massively dependent on Fernandes. I know every team has that player that they can’t afford to get injured, but if they lost Fernandes, I genuinely think they’d struggle to finish in the top half. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I'm convinced that Onana is Taibi in disguise.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I hear you. They  they are definitely comeback artists. 

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Definitely. I hope we beat MU on the table, but for all their problems, they lost by one goal away to Bayern Munich. With DeGea, they win today. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I hear you. They  they are definitely comeback artists. 

Definitely. I hope we beat MU on the table, but for all their problems, they lost by one goal away to Bayern Munich. With DeGea, they win today. 

Did you watch it? Most one sided 4-3 you could imagine, they were dominated.

29 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Did you watch it? Most one sided 4-3 you could imagine, they were dominated.

United had their moments, they dominated for the first 10-15 minutes. 4-3 definitely flattered them though. Bayern hit the post twice in the second half and forced Onana into 2 or 3 decent saves.

It keeps the circus rolling on. A proper spanking and they might have pulled the trigger on ETH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

United had their moments, they dominated for the first 10-15 minutes. 4-3 definitely flattered them though. Bayern hit the post twice in the second half and forced Onana into 2 or 3 decent saves.

It keeps the circus rolling on. A proper spanking and they might have pulled the trigger on ETH.

I think they are nowhere near that. At all.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

They’ve lost 4 out of last 5, their only wins this season are 1 goal wins against Wolves and Forest and both came with very favourable VAR decisions. 13th in the table. They’ve conceded 3 goals in 4 games in a row. Only 2 PL teams have conceded more.

They’re closer than you think. If Burnley beat them, or get a draw then he’s in big trouble.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

They’ve lost 4 out of last 5, their only wins this season are 1 goal wins against Wolves and Forest and both came with very favourable VAR decisions. 13th in the table. They’ve conceded 3 goals in 4 games in a row. Only 2 PL teams have conceded more.

They’re closer than you think. If Burnley beat them, or get a draw then he’s in big trouble.

Not even sure what manager they could go for. They have tried every type since Ferguson and has been a failure except Mourinho who they replaced with Solskjaer 😂

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Not even sure what manager they could go for. They have tried every type since Ferguson and has been a failure except Mourinho who they replaced with Solskjaer 😂

I have to agree. The problem is they don’t really want to back the manager fully in his decisions or in the transfer market.

Mourinho wanted players like Shaw and Pogba gone but they wouldn’t back it up. I know they’ve spent quite a lot but they are shopping in the wrong tier for a club of their size.

Until they fully trust a manager they won’t improve on the field.

Potter next is my prediction.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Potter next is my prediction.

I think Potter will be wary of taking another job where the owners are the biggest part of the problem. I also don't think he gets another big job without repairing his reputation first. Something relatively safe and stable like Crystal Palace or Fulham maybe? 

As for Man Utd, they will continue to degrade until the takeover happens. They are just a toxic proposition for any manager at the moment. Long may that continue! 

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

As for Man Utd, they will continue to degrade until the takeover happens. They are just a toxic proposition for any manager at the moment. Long may that continue! 

OGS said the first 2 people he approached about being club captain turned it down. What a mess that club is.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I agree and that's a wrong decision. They could lose to Burnley.

The support around the manager appears to be unacceptable. No one could properly succeed with them.

Â