Cup final 1/6 Pre match

Pinebro

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I think we'll make one of two changes but still go strong.

Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Lenglet.Moreno

Dendonker.Tielemens.McGinn

Zaniolo.Watkins.Bailey

Edit - forgot we were allowed 11 players

I could see that but in a 4-2-3-1 with McGinn playing further forward.

• Like 1

I wonder if we will see Moreno, I was really surprised he didn't come on when we were trailing at the weekend which makes me wonder how fit he is. It would be a little odd after a hamstring injury to come straight into the staying line up without a few appearances from the bench to build fitness. 

Tough one to pick a team for. Think we need to go strong to start of with. Can rest some players next week in the league cup. I assume moreno probably not fit enough to start

Martinez

Cash              Konsa             Pau                  Digne

Mcginn          Luiz             Tielemans        Zaniolo

Diaby           Duran

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Tough one to pick a team for. Think we need to go strong to start of with. Can rest some players next week in the league cup. I assume moreno probably not fit enough to start

Martinez

Diaby           Duran

I agree with you. Keep the momentum going, plus it's an away european game into the unknown. We cannot be ignorant nor complacent in the first group game. Ideally we will want to try and win the group as early as possible anyway.

The players will hopefully be fresh and on the back of a victory heading into the Chelsea game without too many changes needing to be made.

I'm going for 4-0 win for this one though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I wonder if we will see Moreno, I was really surprised he didn't come on when we were trailing at the weekend which makes me wonder how fit he is. It would be a little odd after a hamstring injury to come straight into the staying line up without a few appearances from the bench to build fitness. 

At best a sub cameo. Everton in league cup is better target for a start I think.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

At best a sub cameo. Everton in league cup is better target for a start I think.

i agree, one nil down at the weekend and with Digne getting so high up the pitch, he seemed an obvious change to me. To get no minutes i assume hes not as fit as we all hoped so id be surprised if Moreno got more than a cameo.

5 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Martinez

Diaby           Duran

id swap Luiz for Kamara as he had a bit more of a rest at the weekend. I also think Watkins will start. Go strong in our first away game, we can afford to rest a few more at home if we have started the group well.

Strong start to the group needed, get away points in the bank. Can take it a bit more easy later on hopefully. Can't see more than a couple of changes - will be interesting to see if Unai fancies Olsen for this, and Tilemens should get a start. Be good if Moreno can get a few minutes to start getting up to speed without too much pressure.

• Like 1

Took a look at Villareal last year and Unai rotated the whole side against Poznan for the first group stage game. The entire XI was different. Makes me queasy thinking about it but might see the same here aside from some of the defenders.

Olsen

Chambers Konsa Lenglet Moreno (if fit)

Bailey Dendoncker Tielemans Zaniolo?

Kellyman (would really be a surprise for me) Duran

Just now, DJBOB said:

Took a look at Villareal last year and Unai rotated the whole side against Poznan for the first group stage game. The entire XI was different. Makes me queasy thinking about it but might see the same here aside from some of the defenders.

Olsen

Chambers Konsa Lenglet Moreno (if fit)

Bailey Dendoncker Tielemans Zaniolo?

Kellyman (would really be a surprise for me) Duran

kellyman isnt available for the competion , some technicality of him not coming through our academy

I think we need to make a few changes with Chelsea away in mind, would personally rest McGinn to be ready for that game.

Legia play 3 at the back so we might see a similar set up to when we played Burnley. Assuming Carlos isn't available.

Martinez

Konsa Lenglet Pau Moreno

Cash Tielemans Luiz Bailey

Watkins Diaby

Edited by AndyM3000

We're in a fortunate position where we can rest some players and still play a very strong line up for this game. 

I don't know what the travel schedule is like - do we fly back after the game, or go to the hotel and fly the next day? Either way, it doesn't leave much time to prep for Chelsea. Rotating the squad allows some players to be fully focussed on the Legia game, whilst others are purely concentrating on Chelsea.

Also SJM looked a little leggy on Saturday after the international break, so maybe a good opportunity to keep him on the bench. Konsa is stepping up to be a vital leader in our defence and hugely important for our League campaign, so maybe Lenglet and Torres could start the game. Dougie is just so important, so I'd wrap him up in cotton wool too, but Watkins could do with a goal or two. If it's not working, then we turn to the bench.

Martinez (c) 

Chambers    Lenglet    Torres    Digne

Cash    Tielemans    Dendonker    Zaniolo             

Kellyman Watkins

Bench: Olsen, McGinn, Luiz, Kamara, Duran, Diaby, Bailey, Konsa, Moreno

I think rotating Konsa, Luiz and Kamara with French and Belgian internationals is still taking the competition seriously. Kellyman has shown he's a special talent, and Chambers is an experienced Premier League player.