January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are the Jt second best goal scorers in the league to date.

Other than cover, I am struggling to see our problem in this area...we have failed to score just twice this season.

However, we have kept 4 clean sheets in 20.....I do see an issue there.

I think the two are intrinsically linked.  Our defenders are now are first line of attack.  If we aren't careful we "strengthen" our defence at the expense of our attack (I think you could easily say that last season we had a lot of clean sheets but really struggled to score enough goals).  At the end of the day there's not much difference between winning 1-0 and winning 2-1.

***Edit*** Just looking at Emery's managerial career stats and his "average" match scoreline is around 2-1.  So I think we're playing pretty much the way he wants us to.

Edited by allani

Dybala has missed 5 of 19 games this season through injury, has scored 5 and assisted 6.

For 13 million or whatever it is we should be all over it imo, a brilliant option to have. 

• Like 1

Hell no to Zaha and it’s bullshit…

Stupid links and rumours being thrown about by crap “sources”…

why do we keep getting linked to older players who’d want big wages?

Why would we disrupt the balance of the team and squad?

Don’t believe everything you read and hear, especially on social media…

Worth looking at the kinds of signings we’ve already made… why sign anyone worse than we have, other than a backup DM?

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Worth looking at the kinds of signings we’ve already made… why sign anyone worse than we have, other than a backup DM?

Somewhat unrelated, it feels wild to say Zaha is an older player. In my head he's like 24 max.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently SG wants to take Traore to Saudi.

He'd have a tonne of fun there in fairness! ( On the pitch I mean )

They must be sacking SG then because it was apparent that he wasn’t a fan of Berty’s while he was here…

He’s done a shit job there too, what a surprise…

Just now, Keyblade said:

Somewhat unrelated, it feels wild to say Zaha is an older player. In my head he's like 24 max.

31… if we were interested, we could have gone for him before he went to Galatasaray too… we have players that are better and more valuable than him anyway…

I’d genuinely be shocked if we went for relative “shit signings” like this now…

it would represent a stark and drastic change from our existing strategy and approach…

which is one of the many reasons I don’t believe it, not even a legit link anyway

Zaha is brilliant player. Glad Emery wasn't allowed sign him at Arsenal and was forced to take Pepe instead. 

In general I think of we got another attacking player in we could let Duran go on Loan. I feel if Watkins got injured we'd play Zaniolo in his place up top. 

So if we get another attacking player, say a right footed wide player Duran could go in Loan. 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

31… if we were interested, we could have gone for him before he went to Galatasaray too… we have players that are better and more valuable than him anyway…

it would represent a stark and drastic change from our existing strategy and approach…

which is one of the many reasons I don’t believe it, not even a legit link anyway

What is the existing strategy? I'm pretty sure Monchi / Emery feel older players are undervalued as everyone wants you get players with sell in value. Hence Moreno joined and Acuna was about to join before he got injured. I think we will bring in a 30+ player this year for sure in Jan or Summer. 

Zaha I would like but not sure if it's something we would want on the books for more than 2 years.

Doesn't make a lot of sense longevity wise.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Emery was a big big fan of his.

If he doesn’t feel Zaniolo is doing it then Zaha is a replacement.

It would probably be a loan.

We know he can create and score n the PL.

It was well known that while he was a prick on the pitch he was a lovely guy off the pitch and a real team player.

Could be a great option on that left hand side for our Champions League push until the end of season.

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

What is the existing strategy? I'm pretty sure Monchi / Emery feel older players are undervalued as everyone wants you get players with sell in value. Hence Moreno joined and Acuna was about to join before he got injured. I think we will bring in a 30+ player this year for sure in Jan or Summer. 

Ultimately, none of us fully know or can make completely accurate assumptions …

The way I look at it… and I don’t call myself an expert or knowledgable, it’s just an opinion…

Moreno was a player to fit into and enhance the side (as well as address some sort of deficiency) that we got at good value… this is exactly what he did. A player of Unai’s choosing who almost instantly made us better and made a huge contribution…

Players like Pau and Diaby, key summer additions, are those “on the way up” with a lot of quality and potential and intended to be a part of our long term future. I believe this is our “minimum standard” or level in terms of targets going forwards when we are capable or doing so…

Tielemans was a great pickup on a free, adds quality and depth, good age - plenty to offer.

I attribute the Zaniolo and Lenglet signings more to Monchi but Unai obviously approve them and we were caught short by injuries to certain players…

So… I am personally using those examples to establish my own view.

-

Some of the names being thrown around sound like desperation or panic signings to me… not what we need and not what we are after.

There are always going to be differences of opinion on here.. but this is just the way that I see it.

- I’m not so concerned or focussed on what Unai and Monchi have done at previous clubs, mainly in terms of transfer business, as they themselves have spoken of their previous limitations and how there is much greater capacity and greater resources at Villa… it was part of the appeal. Ambition and intentions are high…

Edited by Jas10

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Emery was a big big fan of his.

If he doesn’t feel Zaniolo is doing it then Zaha is a replacement.

It would probably be a loan.

We know he can create and score n the PL.

It was well known that while he was a prick on the pitch he was a lovely guy off the pitch and a real team player.

Could be a great option on that left hand side for our Champions League push until the end of season.

If that’s true… that was a long time ago. Doesn’t mean he’s necessarily interested now or anymore…

We shall see regardless… I just don’t envisage us chasing players like this and wasting time and money like that…

If it comes from a legit or proper source… the link will sub to be taken more seriously… until then… I’m out 😆

Edited by Jas10

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ultimately, none of us fully know or can make accurate summaries…

The way I look at it… and I don’t call myself an expert or knowledgable, it’s just an opinion…

Moreno was a player to fit into and enhance the side that we got at good value… this is exactly what he did. A player of Unai’s choosing who almost instantly made us better and made a huge contribution…

Players like Pau and Diaby, key summer additions, are those “on the way up” with huge potential and intended to be a part of our long term future.

Tielemans was a great pickup on a free, adds quality and depth, good age - plenty to offer.

I attribute the Zaniolo and Lenglet signings more to Monchi but Unai obviously approve them and we were caught short by injuries to certain players…

So… I am personally using those examples to establish my own view.

-

Some of the names being thrown around sound like desperation or panic signings to me… not what we need and not what we are after.

There are always going to be differences of opinion on here.. but this is just the way that I see it.

- I’m not so concerned or focussed on what Unai and Monchi have done at previous clubs, mainly int terms of transfer business, as they themselves have spoken of their previous limitations and how there aims greater capacity and greater resources at Villa… it was part of the appeal. Ambition and intentions are high…

Do you agree Acuna was joining and Digne was leaving for Nice until injury scuppered the deal? That and Moreno in the same year shows we are happy to get older players in if the price and wages are right. 

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

well the reputable journos have all said we're very unlikely to do any business this window so shall we just lock the thread? agree these links are BS but on the basis we're unlikely to sign anyone this window we can still speculate on whether hypothetically such a signing would be good or not

my view on this totally BS rumour is that hate the guy but he'd be an upgrade on both JJ and zaniolo

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

I just don’t envisage us chasing players like this and wasting time and money like that…

I don't know what his fitness levels are or his form.

However a fully fit Zaha playing well for 6 months is a no brainer to me

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Do you agree Acuna was joining and Digne was leaving for Nice until injury scuppered the deal? That and Moreno in the same year shows we are happy to get older players in if the price and wages are right. 

I’m not focussing on older players in particular… all I ever really say is that we want quality and not quantity.

I don’t believe Zaha is better than what we have and I wouldn’t want us to waste funds/wages on such a player… unless I knew Unai wanted him, which we don’t (this isn’t even a proper or legit link!)

I have no idea if the Acuna link was legit/real and whether Digne was going to Nice…  what I do know/believe is that Digne’s contract is a burden or drain and we want to relieve ourselves of it (another reason why we shouldn’t be signing players like Zaha and taking on burdens like that again) and find a better alternative in terms of value and possibly quality/suitability… the older a player is and the more he is being paid… the more of a problem it is…

I’m not against an older player IF Unai wants one…  but we don’t know that he does… we’re all just making different assumptions and commenting on questionable or non existent links or rumours…

Edited by Jas10