January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

34 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Only 6 months left on his contract, so fee sounds about right.

you sure?, he signed a new contract just before he went out on loan in the summer, so if only 6 months left, it was only a 1 year contract? (or maybe just a 1 year extension?)

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Anyone who think Dumfries wouldn't be an upgrade on Cash, clearly hasn't seen Cash play right midfield.  Dumfries can at least dribble past players and cross the ball.

Offensively he can do a bit of everything and has good instincts. He can't really defend, though. Also, he could be had for cheap, as Inter are having trouble renewing him and they're pretty ruthless with their contracts situation (it's how they stay afloat basically, terrible owner group). They'll sell him for cheap before losing him a year from now.  

Personally, I think you guys should break the bank with Frimpong. Why not reinforce your weakest position with the best candidate available? Seems like such a City move to make.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

But Unai is a fan? Performed much better for Villareal and developed and improved his game there? Better player than his Spurs days and still relatively young… 

What exactly would Dybala offer or what improvements would he bring to our side? Creativity? Better finishing? Best position supporting the CF (Watkins) and central? Better than what we have?

I’ve not seen much of him but he never hugely impressed me or stood out on the rare occasions I’ve seen him playing… maybe I just saw his worst/quieter games 😆

Obviously has a positive reputation and talent… but he’s not getting any younger and the injuries are a real concern… Serie A is also a relatively weak/poor league (sadly) these days and whether players from there can transfer their form over to PL is debatable… it’s probably case by case and depends on the individual…

I would probably agree that he is the more appealing name when compared to Werner (also different kinds of players with different qualities) but, again, who knows what a top class manager like Unai can bring out of such players and the improvements that could be made…

Unai could be a fan. He'd be wrong, though.

Foyth has been touted from an early age as our next best thing, was taken by the national team as a sparring when he was just beginning. He never panned out. He played a grand total of 32 games for Tottenham in the span of three years. Fellow countryman Pocchetino didn't want him, Mourinho didn't want him, Spirito Santo didn't want him. I don't think you should want him either. I certainly don't for Argentina. He's 25 and hasn't made any strides in replacing a decade older Otamendi, and he won't now, as that's Lisandro Martínez spot when Ota retires.

I think Paulo would bring you creativity, goals, and depth, something you need given all the current injuries. Plus, I don't think he'd have to shoulder that big of a load in this Villa team. His transfer clause has now reduced to something insignificant like 13 million according to local newspapers. For that money, I'd consider him a good investment. I do share your concerns with his injury history and age. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

you sure?, he signed a new contract just before he went out on loan in the summer, so if only 6 months left, it was only a 1 year contract? (or maybe just a 1 year extension?)

Either way, it’s all pure profit for FFP (whatever fee we get 🤷🏻‍♂️)

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Maybe an older player on loan near the end of his career who we could bring on in these games?  Ever Banega type, but he’s earning the oil money these days 

According to our local press, Banega is currently angling to return to Boca, his oil contract is 6 months away from expiring.

Late to this thread but aren't we toeing the line with FFP atm? If so I can't imagine us signing anyone in Jan but if we do it'll be less of the Diaby and more of the Zaniolo unfortunately.

3 hours ago, AV82 said:

Late to this thread but aren't we toeing the line with FFP atm? If so I can't imagine us signing anyone in Jan but if we do it'll be less of the Diaby and more of the Zaniolo unfortunately.

No. We can spend about 220 mil this year in terms of ffp (and that can be amortised too) but that would definitely **** us over with the grealish sale coming off the books so we wouldn't be able to afford to do shit (though also about 50 mil of player amortisation too). 

I think a budget somewhere in the region of 50-80 mil is pretty realistic for the right players ofc.

Edit: I found my original calculations. So it's we can spend about 220 over a 3 year period in terms of player amortisation - player sales. We have a net amortisation of about 70 million over this 3 year period. Tldr we can spend a lot even with the grealish sale coming off our books because we are also dropping off most of the players we bought when we first came up (so we are dropping like 50 mil I amortisation and getting an extra 35 ish from players already signed). 

So basically we still have like double what we've spent even without the grealish sale on the book, and with it like it is right now we could spend a dectn wedge. And that assumes we've chosen to amortise players as long as we could. We'd actually have more money if we took most of the hit in the first year Bailey, Buendia and digne signed because we had the grealish sale. If the club is clever the grealish sale leaving the books would be offset by those purchases no longer mattering from the perspective of FFP. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Not been in here much lately, so don't know if you lot have trashed the Ngonge link yet. Any informed opinion on him, irrespective of whether he signs or not?

Must be a scouting one as his CV isn't particularly impressive. Would be massively surprised if anyone at VT has watched any of him!

Strangely enough, another left footer that predominantly plays on the right side as well.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DJBOB said:

Must be a scouting one as his CV isn't particularly impressive. Would be massively surprised if anyone at VT has watched any of him!

Strangely enough, another left footer that predominantly plays on the right side as well.

Yes, he appears to be a late blossoming journeyman, perhaps. The clips I've seen reminded me of a Bailey-esque box of tricks, with a touch more muscle and power, allowing him to also be a bit more direct. 

33 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Just looked back and the official announcement on AVFC never stayed how long the extension was, just that an extension had been signed. Guess it could indeed have been for 1 year. Definitely no more than 2. I'm thinking either way £2.5m pure profit is pretty good business. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Yes, he appears to be a late blossoming journeyman, perhaps. The clips I've seen reminded me of a Bailey-esque box of tricks, with a touch more muscle and power, allowing him to also be a bit more direct. 

Late blossoming journeyman? He's 23 🤣

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Some berk on BBC online has suggested we get Eric Dier from Spurs!! 😂 Absolute no from me.

Ange didn't trust him with the high line he played two full backs at CB. Imagine with the ultra high line we play. Be shambles. Dier is a low block defender like Slabhead. 

• Like 1

Just now, RicRic said:

Crysencio Summerville pay 30 mill and bring him to VP we won’t be disappointed 👏🏽

I think he'd be a great signing, but does he play RW or LW?

If it's on the left side I would rather have him as an option than Zaniolo.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I think he'd be a great signing, but does he play RW or LW?

If it's on the left side I would rather have him as an option than Zaniolo.

He has played mostly on the left this season and thats why he is best for us however he is classed as a RW primarily but shining better at LW 

And he reminds me of a player that a Liverpool would sign and turn into a world class machine 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Crysencio Summerville pay 30 mill and bring him to VP we won’t be disappointed 👏🏽

I would be happy with this signing.

Wonder what happened to Gnonto? 20 games 1 goal 1 assist. He was the more hyped wasn't he? 

• Thanks 1

If the rumour about Ngonge is correct it's baffling. Why are we obsessed with signing left footed right wingers. He'd be the 4th and McGinn is often who we play in RM anyway. 

We need actual right footed players like Nico Williams. Width comes from wide players playing on their side. 

• Thanks 1